Vydra looking Menacing ... when will he start?

Ninos

I've noticed that Vydra is looking absolutely terrific in these late game cameos. Involved in the goal at QPR, wreaked havoc on forests defence, including a sublime touch and pass to Ince ... I know bents been pretty good but I'm really getting excited that his luck will turn and that he gets more playing time. Exciting player, and perhaps under Pearson there was too much pressure on him to score when he first arrived.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

I think it's just a matter of time till he starts. He looks a good player full of energy etc. Just needs a goal. I remember his leap a few games ago for a little lad he can jump I'll give him that.

Agreed. In the box yes but when balls were lumped up to him he pretty much completely misses or justs let the other team have it. Bent he is not in that department. That's his weakness - you have to play the ball in front of him or to his feet for him to thrive. 

if mac puts faith in him as he will, he's the prolific striker we've been after ... 

Better than Bent (who lives offside)

Yo be fair to Benty I think they have got rid of it,mostly.

Benty has been brilliant but I would be tempted to start Vydra and bring Benty on at Fulham.

He has had a minor hamstring problem?Don't want it to go then we will have no choice.

Mmmm,not sure really,or don't mess with it(i'm confusing myself now).

53 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I've noticed that Vydra is looking absolutely terrific in these late game cameos...

I'm sure I saw a lip quiver during one game and he slipped (or did he dive) over in another - time to get rid he's not the sort we want playing for us!

13 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Better than Bent (who lives offside)

Yo be fair to Benty I think they have got rid of it,mostly.

Benty has been brilliant but I would be tempted to start Vydra and bring Benty on at Fulham.

He has had a minor hamstring problem?Don't want it to go then we will have no choice.

Mmmm,not sure really,or don't mess with it(i'm confusing myself now).

Agreed. And Bent and Ince like to play alongside each other. It's quite apparent. The offside thing is unfuriating because most times it's totally unnecessary. We are good either way Saturday but you just get the feeling that Vydra will come good very soon. 

22 minutes ago, unclej said:

Better than Bent (who lives offside) and Martin ( who has become petulant and disruptive ).   

I think that is a little unfair on both fronts, you can probably count on one hand how many times Bent has been offside in the last few games, he really has stepped up and grown into the role. When I saw he was starting against Wednesday I was totally underwhelmed but ever since I have been living on humble pie and it tastes great. Secondly, where is your evidence about Martin being disruptive?

This point is very similar to the George Thorne situation when we had him on loan in 13-14.

We had just brought in a very young and hungry player but was stuck on the bench game after game because we were playing the more experiences Eutace for a number of games. 

Mac could be trying to ease Vydra into the team because every game he seems to be getting more and more game time. 

Hopefully he gets his chance to shine soon.

I am being patient on this one. Like Ninos I think he is going to be a great asset and he has looked da heroes whenever he has come on. Bent has had some great games and sorted the offside thing so it's difficult to drop him. Having said that I he seemed a little below his recent sharpness against Forest so I suspect we are getting nearer to another start for Vydra. 

I trust Steve Mac to pick the moment 

Saturday hopefully. Bent looked off it on Weds and we were one dimensional. I am not normally one for resting players but in Bent's case he should be. He has done well over the last few weeks but time for Vydra and maybe Bent off the bench late on. 

Fulham are playing well and we might have to live of the break. We will need pace so Vydra for me.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Agreed. And Bent and Ince like to play alongside each other. It's quite apparent. The offside thing is unfuriating because most times it's totally unnecessary. We are good either way Saturday but you just get the feeling that Vydra will come good very soon. 

Hasn't Tom Ince massively improved since Bent came into the team?  Didn't the same happen at the end of Steve McClaren's last season?

You could argue that Ince scores enough goals to cover for the fact Bent isn't prolific any more.

One indifferent performance and Bent is out? A tad harsh from some folks here. He has lead the line excellently, something Vydra has been unable to do. Unless he's feeling the fixture congestion then Bent should not be dropped. If he's poor once again then maybe Vydra gets a look in but it would be extremely harsh to remove Bent after one mediocre performance given his recent form.

I didn't see Vydra terrorise Forest in any way, he was a nuisance but the game was done and their defence is toss. The QPR match is a different matter, I can't comment at all there. Until Bent is totally out of form or there's injury/fatigue then Vydra doesn't get in. Though I'm sure he'll be starting away at WBA as a minimum given his time there previously.

Vydra just needs to settle, get a feel for his role and then will get his chance. When he played against Leeds he showed his quality and was unlucky not to have his goal as I thought he was onside. 

With vydra I think either Hughes or butterfield will have to get closer to him to play those neat passes he is looking for. Or alternatively play a 1-2 with a midfielder but first holding up the ball, laying it back and spinning his defender. 

1 hour ago, Alex W said:

One indifferent performance and Bent is out? A tad harsh from some folks here. He has lead the line excellently, something Vydra has been unable to do. Unless he's feeling the fixture congestion then Bent should not be dropped. If he's poor once again then maybe Vydra gets a look in but it would be extremely harsh to remove Bent after one mediocre performance given his recent form.

I didn't see Vydra terrorise Forest in any way, he was a nuisance but the game was done and their defence is toss. The QPR match is a different matter, I can't comment at all there. Until Bent is totally out of form or there's injury/fatigue then Vydra doesn't get in. Though I'm sure he'll be starting away at WBA as a minimum given his time there previously.

I think the whole striker situation needs vy-adressing...

I'm so sorry I'll stop now.

Archived