Vydra looking Menacing ... when will he start?

Ninos

2 hours ago, jono said:

I am being patient on this one. Like Ninos I think he is going to be a great asset and he has looked da heroes whenever he has come on. Bent has had some great games and sorted the offside thing so it's difficult to drop him. Having said that I he seemed a little below his recent sharpness against Forest so I suspect we are getting nearer to another start for Vydra. 

I trust Steve Mac to pick the moment 

I agree.

Ninos is a great asset.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I think that is a little unfair on both fronts, you can probably count on one hand how many times Bent has been offside in the last few games, he really has stepped up and grown into the role. When I saw he was starting against Wednesday I was totally underwhelmed but ever since I have been living on humble pie and it tastes great. Secondly, where is your evidence about Martin being disruptive?

Created too many chances for other players, they despised him for it.

Where's this come from? 

I can see Vydra is technically good but who's he been a menace against? Which game?

Bent offside a lot? He got caught a few times vs QPR where he did look a bit like his old self but other than that he's been caught no more than any other striker. 

Bent has been dropping in and giving the team that hold up they need to step up. He's been working the channels for the full backs and he's allowed us to put the ball in the air. And he's scored too

Vydra isn't dropping in to help pull the team onto him which means when he's on the pitch it's difficult to support him. He's not good in the air. He's missing good chances.

Vydra is being brought on when the game is stretched and we are playing on the counter. And until Bent stops doing what he was doing before the QPR game, becomes tired or Vydra adapts then he won't break into the starting 11. 

Like I said, I can see technically he's a sound player. But he's not done anything. 

From my seat gainst QPR I don't think Vydra was much better than Bent.

Bent had a pretty poor evening - he was caught offside a lot and was too hesitant to come short and offer himself to the midfielders. It was like watching the Bent of old. He may have simply had an off night and to be fair, QPR were incredibly well organised making it difficult for him.

Vydra ran about a lot, but looked more light weight than Bent. He was a bit too eager to flick the ball on when what we really needed was someone to put his foot on the ball and let everyone catch up. I'm sure McClaren will have a word with him about that. Did really well for our goal - great 'ratting' as Craig Ramage says.He went down a couple of times looking for fouls when there weren't any - that should be enough in the eyes of some of our fans to make it worth moving him on.

Would be happier to see Bent start on Satruday personally.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Where's this come from? 

I can see Vydra is technically good but who's he been a menace against? Which game?

Bent offside a lot? He got caught a few times vs QPR where he did look a bit like his old self but other than that he's been caught no more than any other striker. 

Bent has been dropping in and giving the team that hold up they need to step up. He's been working the channels for the full backs and he's allowed us to put the ball in the air. And he's scored too

Vydra isn't dropping in to help pull the team onto him which means when he's on the pitch it's difficult to support him. He's not good in the air. He's missing good chances.

Vydra is being brought on when the game is stretched and we are playing on the counter. And until Bent stops doing what he was doing before the QPR game, becomes tired or Vydra adapts then he won't break into the starting 11. 

Like I said, I can see technically he's a sound player. But he's not done anything. 

Have to agree with this,he's nowhere near ready to start a game as a guaranteed goal scorer....once he starts putting a few in as a sub(as bent was capable of in 2014,when he arrived as Martin's back up) then Mac will start considering him as a first choice.....

I'm not convinced,he will even have a future long term if Martin comes back or more likely a seasoned striker who fits the system comes in January.....unfortunately vydra was brought in by Pearson to fit his system not Macs and he seems to be struggling to adapt.

I actually like vydra,he is energetic and powerful but I'm just not convinced he fits in either and I haven't seen anything to justify a nine million pound price tag yet.

We're winning. Change as little as possible.

Vydra started against Wigan. 4 shots we had that night according to the BBC. Dangerous? My arse. Vydra has some skills, and I like him, but asking him to play as a lone striker in our shape is a square peg/round hole job. As a sub to add energy last 15, OK, but starting against a good side? Nah.

4 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Hasn't Tom Ince massively improved since Bent came into the team?  Didn't the same happen at the end of Steve McClaren's last season?

You could argue that Ince scores enough goals to cover for the fact Bent isn't prolific any more.

Those two love each other and when they play together it reflects in inces productivity.

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

Twice according to whoscored.com, same as Ince :)

Don't disagree with the rest of your post though.

Was that all? Seemed like more to be honest. Just goes to show how well he's played since McClaren came back that I took that to be the Bent of old.

50 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Was that all? Seemed like more to be honest. Just goes to show how well he's played since McClaren came back that I took that to be the Bent of old.

His performance was more like the poacher Bent. I thought he was offside more than twice too. 

But he played central all game and didn't work channels like he has been. And as balls were put through the middle he was second best to all of them. He's been much better than that.

Just an off day. 

7 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I think that is a little unfair on both fronts, you can probably count on one hand how many times Bent has been offside in the last few games, he really has stepped up and grown into the role. When I saw he was starting against Wednesday I was totally underwhelmed but ever since I have been living on humble pie and it tastes great. Secondly, where is your evidence about Martin being disruptive?

All i can say is that if you ask Harry Rednapp, he will tell you that in the changing room during his time here, anything you wanted to implement had to be approved by Martin... itk

2 minutes ago, nfb said:

All i can say is that if you ask Harry Rednapp, he will tell you that in the changing room during his time here, anything you wanted to implement had to be approved by Martin... itk

I'd say that shows super experienced, top top manager Harry Redknapp in a worse light than Martin tbh.

He could have been England manager, but couldn't put a journeyman championship player in his place?

10 minutes ago, nfb said:

ORLY?

Vydra is a brilliant, brilliant player in my mind, who were handling perfectly here whilst we help him adapt to our system. If you watch him carefully you can tell just how intelligent he is, he doesn't need more than a seconds thought before he knows where he's sending the balls, and his movement is very intelligent- he will very soon be a big asset to our team IMO, but right now must learn from the vastly experienced Darren bent

As for Vydra, if you ask me the question who would i want upfront in the prem, it would be Vydra over Bent every time...  He is quicker,has more technical skill 'overall' (before you ask if he could have scored the goal against wolves) and suffers because as yet we dont play to his strengths, like Weimann he is best down the middle(but better than Weimann) in my opinion, He needs a 'target man' to play off and Bent is no target man... again in my opinion, we need to move out Bent and Blackman (hes 1 dimensional) somehow (they are prob on huge wages) and find a replacement for Martin..

45 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd say that shows super experienced, top top manager Harry Redknapp in a worse light than Martin tbh.

He could have been England manager, but couldn't put a journeyman championship player in his place?

He might argue his remit from Mel was to advise Wassall, not sort out the politics in the changing room, that was Wassall's job... just saying.

Archived