Wigan vs Derby - matchday thread.

Rev

10 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Spot on. We were second to every ball in the second half and were strangely lethargic. Wigan passed well, had runners off the ball and were a bit naiive with their final ball. A more clinical team would have beaten us. That said, I thought our central defensive pair were excellent, especially Pearce. If someone said there was a flu bug around the club, I would've believed it. Today was an excellent 3 points under the circumstances and as long as we keep 11 players on the pitch next week, we'll have our 6th win in a row.

How much is Pearce worth to us now?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is the first day that I entertained the notion (not for long) that we could finish third or second.

The advantage that we have is that there simply so many teams that can on their day not lose to top six teams. 

The team that does not let many goals in, tends to get promoted.

Right I'll give my comments on players today, feel free to agree or rip them to shreds!

Carson - couple of good saves, did what he has to do. Distribution was fine.

Baird - lack of pace exposed a few times but very steady on the whole. Offered nothing going forward.

Keogh - one moment of madness, coped well with second half bombardment.

Pearce - sloppy distribution at times, once again magnificent defending.

Olsson - stood off Jacobs too much inviting numerous crosses into our box. Have to mention great bit of defending when left one on one. Offered little going forward.

Johnson - put in a few decent challenges but was often left exposed by Hughes and Butterfield. Offered a good aerial threat.

Hughes - not at the races today, Could not get to grip with Perkins.

Butterfield - like Hughes second to everything. Got into some good positions where he seemed reluctant to shoot. Has a habit of running out wide with the ball rather than driving through the middle.

Ince - not his best day. Wasted some good positions.

Russell - a few good runs. Missed a decent chance but mainly anonymous.

Vydra - ran himself into the ground but seems on a different wavelength to his team mates.

Weimann - pressured their defence but hardly got a kick as we were so under the cosh

Bryson - did little to stop the domination by their midfield

Hanson - put a few challenges in but not much time to make an impact

Referee - poor. Books Olsson for short pull 70 yards from his own goal yet fails to discipline their defender for bringing down Vydra clean through on goal. Thought he was very inconsistent.

Fans - not been away for a while so heard a few new chants. Quiet for long stages when we were under the cosh. Seemed more bothered in getting Jake to wave than getting behind the team!

3 hours ago, jono said:

I am looking forward to @angieram match report to get an inside track on the reality. Certainly on Radio Derby it sounded as if we lost a lot of second balls and they were pretty terrier like .. But whatever .. You have to put the ball in the net and we did. .. at this point I am just grinning at another win. Well done lads 

No pressure there, then. ;)

I have only just got in having been to the pub on the way home to both thaw and to chill out (if that isn't contradictory!)

This was certainly the most disjointed performance of our recent run so I will take the win and be grateful of it. I was clock-watching from about 60 minutes onwards.  

We started the first half brightly and the fans were in good voice. Wigan were hassling and chasing us down from the kick-off but we played intelligently and only some poor refereeing allowed Wigan to get away with some overly physical defending. However, we scored a good goal from a free kick - lovely to see Johnson celebrating a bit more enthusiastically than last week. We were on our way.

The Wigan defence wobbled a bit but when Russell hit the post following a Wigan defensive error they seemed to take heart. They started to come forward more with Perkins looking lively. Derby defended well, Baird in particular taking the heat out of two or three attacks with cool headers back to Carson.

We also counter attacked well but made poor decisions in the final third, trying to pass instead of shoot.

At half time I wasn't worried. I should have been. Wigan came at us much more strongly after the break, were much the better team and we just seemed to turn into the pre-McClaren Derby.

Why was this? For me, there were a number of factors:

- a lack of a hold-up player. I can see Vydra has skill, pace and he works his butt off but I am concerned about his lack of understanding with fellow players in a system he must have been training in for several weeks now. 

- the referee gave us little protection in the first half yet conversely booked our players (deservedly so) without hesitation. I don't mind tough refereeing provided it is consistent.

- the pitch looked ok but might have been a factor in our passing being under par.

-Marcus Olsson doesn't inspire confidence - he is ok going forward but the number of crosses he allowed in the second half was poor. Luckily so was Wigan's finishing and Pearce, Keogh and Baird did well to rescue most situations. 

- we were second to every loose ball. In a scrappy game, this is important but I felt it was a bigger game for them today than for us.

I was very grateful for the final whistle and we go again next week.  I think we might be a bit more up for that one! 

I don't understand the criticism of Russell. I wasn't there today although I did see the highlights and IMO there was no excuse for a player of Championship standard to be missing such an opportunity.

However, he got us 3 points against Leeds. He's had a few low key games but when that happens you get behind him and give him support and hope he plays his way back into form.

If he continues to be 'off it' for some time then fair enough. Maybe rest him but I can't believe just how quickly fans are dismissing him and wanting him out.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

No pressure there, then. ;)

I have only just got in having been to the pub on the way home to both thaw and to chill out (if that isn't contradictory!)

This was certainly the most disjointed performance of our recent run so I will take the win and be grateful of it. I was clock-watching from about 60 minutes onwards.  

We started the first half brightly and the fans were in good voice. Wigan were hassling and chasing us down from the kick-off but we played intelligently and only some poor refereeing allowed Wigan to get away with some overly physical defending. However, we scored a good goal from a free kick - lovely to see Johnson celebrating a bit more enthusiastically than last week. We were on our way.

The Wigan defence wobbled a bit but when Russell hit the post following a Wigan defensive error they seemed to take heart. They started to come forward more with Perkins looking lively. Derby defended well, Baird in particular taking the heat out of two or three attacks with cool headers back to Carson.

We also counter attacked well but made poor decisions in the final third, trying to pass instead of shoot.

At half time I wasn't worried. I should have been. Wigan came at us much more strongly after the break, were much the better team and we just seemed to turn into the pre-McClaren Derby.

Why was this? For me, there were a number of factors:

- a lack of a hold-up player. I can see Vydra has skill, pace and he works his butt off but I am concerned about his lack of understanding with fellow players in a system he must have been training in for several weeks now. 

- the referee gave us little protection in the first half yet conversely booked our players (deservedly so) without hesitation. I don't mind tough refereeing provided it is consistent.

- the pitch looked ok but might have been a factor in our passing being under par.

-Marcus Olsson doesn't inspire confidence - he is ok going forward but the number of crosses he allowed in the second half was poor. Luckily so was Wigan's finishing and Pearce, Keogh and Baird did well to rescue most situations. 

- we were second to every loose ball. In a scrappy game, this is important but I felt it was a bigger game for them today than for us.

I was very grateful for the final whistle and we go again next week.  I think we might be a bit more up for that one! 

I'd like to vote for Angie to be appointed our own "foreign correspondent" .. Great report thanks ? ? ?

4 hours ago, TimRam said:

With the chances Wigan missed they really need 2 decent strikers. With a stingy defence, they have potential. Just need a couple of players who know where the goal is. Decent result.

Their strikers shouldn't be on the bench then. 

4 hours ago, eddie said:

To tell the truth, we were terribly wasteful in front of goal. On 4 occasions in the second half, Derby looked for the killer ball which was duly picked off by Sir Jake or some more inconsequential Wigan defender, when a bit of welly from the edge of the area might have paid dividends.

On another day, we could have had 3 or 4. Equally, on a different other day, we could have failed to see out the game.

Just about right tbf. 

4 hours ago, eddie said:

Vydra was chopped down 5 times in the frst half - they really did a number on him.

I don't understand why ref didn't booked their players for fouling him? ****

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

After that though, we'd not won 4 in a row under McClaren until this spell.

I'm pretty sure that's a @Bris Vegas fact.

Bris make a bs fact anyway. 

3 hours ago, Ibby said:

Top win and look at the table now. Few wins Derby are up there :D

Looking good yes but I do hope you and many other Derby fans remains calm though.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He was booked today so isn't he now suspended for Florist?

No 5th yellow cards cut off point already gone (last week) 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did I dream it or did Johnson also make us look a genuine threat from corners today?!

He's starting to look a very real threat from corners and set pieces too. Great header by the way!

39 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

To the person why so much love towards jake buxton because he is well respected he stuck by us and he is one of us thats why chanted his name.

But would they still chanting his name if losing? 

You cannot argue with 3 points away from home, but to be very honest if we carry on playing like this one, we are going no ware fast.

We started very well and Johnsons goal was a cracker, but instead of building on that we just stopped playing the sort of football we are capable off.

Not picking out names but so many of our player had games that they will wish to forget. Hope we get a big improvement on Sunday.

1 minute ago, Hector was the best said:

You cannot argue with 3 points away from home, but to be very honest if we carry on playing like this one, we are going no ware fast.

We started very well and Johnsons goal was a cracker, but instead of building on that we just stopped playing the sort of football we are capable off.

Not picking out names but so many of our player had games that they will wish to forget. Hope we get a big improvement on Sunday.

Yes but 2 months ago we would have lost that game. I'll take the points.

You are right though we need to improve we rode our luck yesterday.

Archived