Wigan vs Derby - matchday thread.

Rev

We looked very comfortable keeping possession in areas where it's easy to do so - deep in our half, centre halves to keeper and back etc. We did that a lot - I think that's what boosts our possession stats.

As soon as there was some pressure from the opposition, a poor touch or a misplaced pass was usually the result.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Rampage said:

Today is the first day that I entertained the notion (not for long) that we could finish third or second.

The advantage that we have is that there simply so many teams that can on their day not lose to top six teams. 

The team that does not let many goals in, tends to get promoted.

We need to do better than scraping a 1-0 against Wigan. But our defence is pretty solid.

If I hadn't seen the score, I would have assumed we lost considering the comments on the performance (and harbingers of doom for future matches...). It is no longer good enough to win, you have to win with a swagger and four or five goals into the bargain. 

To be fair, I want good performances too (obviously) and clearly if yesterday wasn't good then its fair enough to say that. What 'does me head in' is the logic that that performance is a bellwether for all future performances. As a fan base, I think we are too reactionary.  

Doesn't help that RD are completey hopeless (and these provide the majority of insights for away games) . At the match at home so only tend to hear the after match roundup. Against Rotherham, who were rubbish, Ed Dawes stated that it was disappointing to only win three nil agaisnt a team like that. Disappointing to have won three nil.... this kind of thing tends to colour the general view, I think. Unhelpfully too.

Oh well. I'll gdt back to my happy clapping and looking at the world through my rose coloured specs.

Can we not just enjoy this moment? After the turgid start we should be delighted to win. My understanding was Wigan had a pretty solid defence at home. We have no right to go to any team and expect to thrash them. If we are already getting blase about winning 1-0 away then I worry what will happen when we lose! As for people writing off Vydra, surely the form of Johnson and Bent should show you that under a top quality coach vast improvement is possible.

39 minutes ago, LazloW said:

If I hadn't seen the score, I would have assumed we lost considering the comments on the performance (and harbingers of doom for future matches...). It is no longer good enough to win, you have to win with a swagger and four or five goals into the bargain. 

To be fair, I want good performances too (obviously) and clearly if yesterday wasn't good then its fair enough to say that. What 'does me head in' is the logic that that performance is a bellwether for all future performances. As a fan base, I think we are too reactionary.  

Doesn't help that RD are completey hopeless (and these provide the majority of insights for away games) . At the match at home so only tend to hear the after match roundup. Against Rotherham, who were rubbish, Ed Dawes stated that it was disappointing to only win three nil agaisnt a team like that. Disappointing to have won three nil.... this kind of thing tends to colour the general view, I think. Unhelpfully too.

Oh well. I'll gdt back to my happy clapping and looking at the world through my rose coloured specs.

If you only want to know the result rather than peoples opinion on the performance just use the BBC website?

5 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Can we not just enjoy this moment? After the turgid start we should be delighted to win. My understanding was Wigan had a pretty solid defence at home. We have no right to go to any team and expect to thrash them. If we are already getting blase about winning 1-0 away then I worry what will happen when we lose! As for people writing off Vydra, surely the form of Johnson and Bent should show you that under a top quality coach vast improvement is possible.

There were 2500 there yesterday who enjoyed the result and showed the players their appreciation for the hard work they put in, does not mean they have to think they played well does it?

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Think a few people summed the match up well.

We were awful, Pearce and Keogh were monsters defensively, after that everyone else quite poor.

Hughes and Russell really poor.

Were you in row G, seat 132?

That person was the most negative, whingeing individual it has been my displeasure to sit in close proximity of for a while. If it wasn't the disparaging comments aimed at pretty well every Derby player, it was the rather comical and somewhat pathetic 'amateur coaching instructions' that was being relayed to all and sundry for the entire game - instructions which seemed to be those of an experienced parent at an under-12s game. "Close him down - ffs get close, Olsson" - then when Olsson didn't dive in but dropped off slightly to cover the obvious two-on-one which would have led to him being completely by-passed, buying time which allowed Pearce to come across and cover, he shouted something about Pearce having "...got him out of jail again".. 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There were 2500 there yesterday who enjoyed the result and showed the players their appreciation for the hard work they put in, does not mean they have to think they played well does it?

Taking this further, I've never understood this mentality of some posters who make it out like anyone who is even close to being critical on a message board is a poor supporter.

No one knows what anyone is like at the matches. Some happy-clappy posters might be hurling abuse at Richard Keogh for 90 minutes every Saturday for all we know...

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not saying we played well, nor am I saying you can't say that we didn't play well but I pick up a more negative atmosphere from this thread than it needs to be.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes we need goalscorers.

We seem to have a perpetual need for scapegoats, and it seems strange that after 5 wins on the trot, we are now resorting to singling out players on the grounds that we should be "...beating the likes of Wigan by more than a single goal".

Pretty pathetic really - the level of entitlement has gone through the roof over the last 8 games. There will be some booing at the end of 1-0 victories next.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

We seem to have a perpetual need for scapegoats, and it seems strange that after 5 wins on the trot, we are now resorting to singling out players on the grounds that we should be "...beating the likes of Wigan by more than a single goal".

Pretty pathetic really - the level of entitlement has gone through the roof over the last 8 games. There will be some booing at the end of 1-0 victories next.

Did you call R5 last night and speak to Herr Savage?

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Taking this further, I've never understood this mentality of some posters who make it out like anyone who is even close to being critical on a message board is a poor supporter.

No one knows what anyone is like at the matches. Some happy-clappy posters might be hurling abuse at Richard Keogh for 90 minutes every Saturday for all we know...

This, I may appear to be quite negative or over critical on here but at matches I give the players my full support. 

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Nonsense. You can't have scapegoats if you're winning. Most of the comments on here have been constructive. Are you proposing that we should never criticise a player ever again? 

2 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Did you call R5 last night and speak to Herr Savage?

Unlikely. I was coming back from Wigan and wouldn't dream of using a mobile phone while driving, what with me not being a lorry (or white van) driver.

I'm a very happy clapper and did indeed applaud every good thing that we did yesterday, including a few nearly moments that didn’t quite come off. 

I must admit though that I did a fair amount of shouting too at times and maybe some of that was aimed at Olsson as he  was disappointing to watch at times. 

Generally though, when I get really worried I just sing louder and hope the support carries the team over the line. 

We wouldn't be honest if we said it was easy on the eye yesterday - it wasn't. 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Nonsense. You can't have scapegoats if you're winning. Most of the comments on here have been constructive. Are you proposing that we should never criticise a player ever again? 

Not at all.

I'm suggesting that you keep a sense perspective instead of just being an argumentative pillock. I know that's a bit of a stretch, but you never know what you can achieve.

Archived