Wigan vs Derby - matchday thread.

Rev

10 minutes ago, jono said:

I am looking forward to @angieram match report to get an inside track on the reality. Certainly on Radio Derby it sounded as if we lost a lot of second balls and they were pretty terrier like .. But whatever .. You have to put the ball in the net and we did. .. at this point I am just grinning at another win. Well done lads 

When you are rubbish and still winning is a nice habit to have. (Obviously try not to be rubbish .....) Missed the game today completely but happy with result.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, TimRam said:

With the chances Derby missed they really need 2 decent strikers. With a stingy defence, they have potential. Just need a couple of players who know where the goal is. Decent result.

How about Chris Martin and A.N.Other?

My analogy of today was that 1st half we were patient with the ball as Schteve requested in his pre-match interview and looked pretty comfortable, showing intermittent injections of pace. 2nd half Wigan got in our faces more and we sat a bit deeper which invited them on. Overall a pretty solid away performance albeit a bit too hair raising at times but we got the result which is all that matters. We can't smash teams every week. Ugly wins reap the same points tally as any other win after all. Onwards and upwards. COYR. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, davenportram said:

Not at the match just catching bits off the radio. Wouldn't judge anyone, I just pointed out that the bits I heard didn't paint Russell as badly as Dychee claimed it did (ps I think Dychee isn't at the game either because he said Russell sounds dire.)

To tell the truth, we were terribly wasteful in front of goal. On 4 occasions in the second half, Derby looked for the killer ball which was duly picked off by Sir Jake or some more inconsequential Wigan defender, when a bit of welly from the edge of the area might have paid dividends.

On another day, we could have had 3 or 4. Equally, on a different other day, we could have failed to see out the game.

3 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Poor old jonny, bet he's gutted bradley johnsons found form... its made him the new fans favourite for giving s*** to now we've got no excuse to pick on BJ 

I think you'll find that most of the criticism comes from those who are sat at home. The people around me didn't seem over-critical of Russell's contribution.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

A good three points.

Beating Forest would be the first time Mac's managed 6 wins in a row with us. 

I thought we won 7 in a row at Mac 1.

2 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Keogh and Pearce we're unbelievably good. We didn't play great but they only really created one clear cut chance (hit the bar).

Vydra's all round play was brilliant but yet again he was dead after an hour. Seems to be a ongoing thing. Needs to get fitter.

Olsson wasn't very good. Much prefer Lowe. Doesn't stop the cross and backs off too much. 

Hughes yet again was out of sorts, but Johnson was again heroic 

Pearce MOTM by a mile 

Vydra was chopped down 5 times in the frst half - they really did a number on him.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

After that though, we'd not won 4 in a row under McClaren until this spell.

I'm pretty sure that's a @Bris Vegas fact.

Another Bris fact - there are millions of managers in the Spanish second division better than McClaren.

Or something.

Just now, Steve How Hard!!! said:

Spot on, the ref gave him no protection what so ever. Don't recall him producing a card for any of the fouls. 

He booked plenty of our players. The ref was pretty bad. Hughes committed a foul ref waved play on when play stopped he ran back and booked Hughes. Vydra turned and went past two players and was clean through on goal. Out went a leg and brought him down. No booking????

The only saving grace was we scored from the freekick.

The ref was terrible in fact.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just going to take my time sifting through everyone's excellent posts on todays game but thought I'd come on and join the love in.

Superb win today, I've just got in and seen the result. Phone battery went on me while out walking. Remarkable run of form we're on now and I must say a huge thankyou to the players, the management, the club and of course the fans for turning up there today and no doubt giving great support. It's a team effort and it seems to be working.

COYR!!

Was Bent injured today?

Yes; Hamstrings. And Max Lowe has "pulled his" groin. :mellow:

Archived