Wigan vs Derby - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Keogh and Pearce we're unbelievably good. We didn't play great but they only really created one clear cut chance (hit the bar).

Vydra's all round play was brilliant but yet again he was dead after an hour. Seems to be a ongoing thing. Needs to get fitter.

Olsson wasn't very good. Much prefer Lowe. Doesn't stop the cross and backs off too much. 

Hughes yet again was out of sorts, but Johnson was again heroic 

Pearce MOTM by a mile 

Could Vydra's drop in energy levels in the final 3rd of matches be anything you do with the illness he had when at Watford? Just putting 2 and 2 together and probably getting 5.

3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wasn't aware he had an illness at Watford. Could you shed any light on that? 

Not too sure of the specifics (could have been during his loan spell with Reading) but seem to remember reading that he'd picked up a debilitating virus which was why his minutes on the pitch were low in view of the number of actual appearances he made - often being used as a substitute.

Mind you, I could be mistaking him for someone else we were looking to sign.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not too sure of the specifics (could have been during his loan spell with Reading) but seem to remember reading that he'd picked up a debilitating virus which was why his minutes on the pitch were low in view of the number of actual appearances he made - often being used as a substitute.

Mind you, I could be mistaking him for someone else we were looking to sign.

Are you on about Wilson when he was at Brighton last season?

Just seen JRs' attempt which hit the post. He probably should have scored but no way was it the sitter some posters have claimed. 

David Silva and Alexis Sanchez have missed similar and if anything, easier opportunities this afternoon but then they're useless to!

I was feeling happy about today's result, until I started to read these comments.  

I mean, we lost 2 points to blues in injury time a couple of years ago, now I'm thinking we've lost 3 points after the game has finished, today! 

I think we went into this game determined to make it a tight game rather than go all out attack and risk getting caught on the break in the same way Huddersfield did last week. Give them room to run into space and they will hurt a few teams with their pace. 

Just going to take my time sifting through everyone's excellent posts on todays game but thought I'd come on and join the love in.

Superb win today, I've just got in and seen the result. Phone battery went on me while out walking. Remarkable run of form we're on now and I must say a huge thankyou to the players, the management, the club and of course the fans for turning up there today and no doubt giving great support. It's a team effort and it seems to be working.

COYR!!

Was Bent injured today?

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Just seen JRs' attempt which hit the post. He probably should have scored but no way was it the sitter some posters have claimed. 

David Silva and Alexis Sanchez have missed similar and if anything, easier opportunities this afternoon but then they're useless to!

Yep I watched it now but it was no sitter in fact I think the keeper got a touch on it, well done on anticipating the back pass getting to it and going round the keeper on a tight angle

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Just looked on the highlights. Not entirely clear because I'm using my phone, but it looked like their keeper got a hand to the ball.

Wigan were always going to spoil our game and scrap for everything but we kept them at arms length.

We could've been more clinical but you could say that about lots of games this season, another clean sheet orchestrated by our Captain which sets up these wins.

Nice to see Johnson showing us what he can do, he will be key next week.

Well done lads, now to make it 6 in a row!

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Yep I watched it now but it was no sitter in fact I think the keeper got a touch on it, well done on anticipating the back pass getting to it and going round the keeper on a tight angle

Had that crept in, very much doubt it would have been such a struggle .

Fairly relieved they were gash. We were strong enough at the back, Carson made crucial saves but wasted so much possession by not having an outlet.

Really missed Bent in my opinion 

16 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Had that crept in, very much doubt it would have been such a struggle .

Fairly relieved they were gash. We were strong enough at the back, Carson made crucial saves but wasted so much possession by not having an outlet.

Really missed Bent in my opinion 

I think calling them gash is very disrespectful.

They had some tidy players and tried to play decent football.

Perkins and Power (I think) absolutely ran the show. Our midfield was second to absolutely everything.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Perkins and Power (I think) absolutely ran the show. Our midfield was second to absolutely everything.

Ok they were an average championship team,without a cutting edge but we made them look better than they were because we didn't kill them off.

Yes they did try to play, which should have given us more opportunities but we were equally wasteful.

End of the day it's 3 points, clean sheet and 5 straight wins. So I'm happy with that.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I am looking forward to @angieram match report to get an inside track on the reality. Certainly on Radio Derby it sounded as if we lost a lot of second balls and they were pretty terrier like .. But whatever .. You have to put the ball in the net and we did. .. at this point I am just grinning at another win. Well done lads 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

I am looking forward to @angieram match report to get an inside track on the reality. Certainly on Radio Derby it sounded as if we lost a lot of second balls and they were pretty terrier like .. But whatever .. You have to put the ball in the net and we did. .. at this point I am just grinning at another win. Well done lads 

I don't remember a game where our midfield was so completely overrun.

Always liked the look of Perkins and he completely bossed Hughesy today.

Archived