Wigan vs Derby - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Millenniumram said:

Nope but I can tell how he's playing, not from what ramage says about him in his opinion, but the fact that every time I hear the ball goes to him, he loses it or can't control it

nonsense, you're just out with an agenda to bash Russell.

Also, if you're not there, how can you possibly make an informed decision on anyone's performance?

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

Also, if you're not there, how can you possibly make an informed decision on anyone's performance?

Simple. You take other people's opinions and words as gospel and then relay the message as your own.

Just now, G-Ram said:

Poor old jonny, bet he's gutted bradley johnsons found form... its made him the new fans favourite for giving s*** to now we've got no excuse to pick on BJ 

Not aimed at you specifically, more a general opinion. 

Don't agree with him getting unwarranted stick from fans and not at the game, but if there is any audible negativity towards him then that should stop. However at the end of the day he is one of several good championship wingers that we have, and whilst I think he's great on his day, don't think theres anything wrong with calls for him to be dropped and give someone else a chance whilst he isn't playing to his best. How can you have healthy competition within a squad if you don't drop players who have not quite been hitting form for several weeks?

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

I have no agenda against Russell, in fact I praised his performance against Norwich when others were criticising him- it's just not happened for him today, hence why he's been subbed off

Evidently I can't tell exactly how badly or well a player has played, but I can still get the general gist of whether a player has done well or poorly dependent on whether they retain the ball, play good passes, win the ball back etc

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Does it matter if I'm at the game or not? Just because I'm not at the game doesn't mean I don't know how many times a player has given the ball away, or missed chances 

Based on what, someone else's opinion?. Your criticism would carry some degree of validity if you were actually there because it would, rightly or wrongly be your opinion.

Based on actually seeing JR playing in recent matches, I think he's fortunate to hold his place but cut the guy some slack when you crucify him and you're not even at the game!

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Based on what, someone else's opinion?. Your criticism would carry some degree of validity if you were actually there because it would, rightly or wrongly be your opinion.

Based on actually seeing JR playing in recent matches, I think he's fortunate to hold his place but cut the guy some slack when you crucify him and you're not even at the game!

If someone who's at the match comes back and says Russell has played excellently then I'll gladly eat humble pie and admit I'm wrong, but from listening to the way Russell has used the ball when it's come to him, I don't think he's played very well at all today, and it seems mcclaren agrees with my opinion and has subbed him off. It's just my opinion that maybe would be different if it was at the game, but it's not someone else's opinion whether Russell has lost the ball, missed a chance etc its fact, unless ramage is lying to me- and I form my opinion from these facts that I've heard. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Statistically speaking Russell has had an ineffective game.

Only one tackle and one clearance, no shots on target or key passes while his 63.6% pass success rate is the worst by any player on the pitch.

But I'm not there so I can't form an opinion on that.

Wait for the 'like'

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Statistically speaking Russell has had an ineffective game.

Only one tackle and one clearance, no shots on target or key passes while his 63.6% pass success rate is the worst by any player on the pitch.

But I'm not there so I can't form an opinion on that.

A balanced view, nice to see after some of the ''opinions'' on here today.

Russell hasn't looked his best for some time but it's difficult to determine why. He's most effective when he receives the ball, turns and runs. Simple as that. His pace is lethal and he has the ability to put opposition defenders under real pressure.

As of late he hasn't been doing that and I really don't know why, let's all hope we see Johnny back to his best soon though!

Archived