Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

2 hours ago, eddie said:

You're at it again - making an assumption based on a bloody assumption.

Christ on a bike, I really do think that everyone is an idiot nowadays - the alternative is that I'm the blooming fool. I'm out of here to go and have an old person's grumble at clouds or something..

297.png

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

If that's the case then he shouldn't have signed him - any player who is brought into the club needs to be done so with the 100% backing of the manager at the time.

Wasn't Clement the coach rather than the manager? If so then the recruitment of new players is not usually the responsibility of the coach - that's not to say he couldn't put forward recommendations for signings.

Was thinking before the mirror ran this story that we needed to get hughes contract sorted out. Maybe we dodged bullet with hughes injury last year , but prem teams are bound to come sniffing now he's fit again. We would want a lot more than £15 million though that was quoted in the mirror story. 

21 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Slap a £50k a week contract on his lap.

The lads worth more than anyone else in that team and deserves the money.

Jesus wept... 

Say the Hughes has a figure in his mind, let's go with £30k. His agent is going to request more than that, Derby are going to offer less than that and eventually they'll probably land at around the amount he's after.  50k is ludicrous. No player outside the top 10 of the prem should be earning that (I know the game is changing etc). 

My my opinion on the possibility of losing him is this: is he important? Definitely. Do we look better with him in the side? Absolutely. Is watching him sometimes worth the entrance fee alone? It is! 

BUT did we or did we not finish 5th in a season where he spent almost all of it out injured? 

He is very important and I'd hate to see him leave but I have every faith that like Hendrick it will be us deciding how much we want and only then will we let him go. 

I'm fairly confident Mel has negotiated more important, more valuable contracts than Will's extension. And, I'd go as far as saying as he's one of the most successful businessmen in the country that he knows how to handle a negotiation and how to calculate an asset's worth. 

Even if Mel conceded to give Will double a week what he actually thought he was worth, it would be worthwhile to tie him into a longer term contract and maximise his future transfer fee. 

We don't know what the terms are and we will never know the finer details - maybe it isn't the basic salary that is the stumbling block, maybe it is the club trying to look after its best interest and stipulate a higher sell-on-clause than Hughes is happy with...

Hughes needs to continue his development and unless Derby get promoted soon and add better players to complement him then I can't see him kicking on as it were.

He's been at the club a good while now and has excelled in a team by and large playing attacking football and trying to achieve which gives him invaluable experience.

I would certainly pay him more money to stay at Derby if the alleged wages of other players in the squad are correct. That is a no brainer but in reality, the longer the club stay in the Championship, the longer his career stagnates and his potential is stunted.

Sometimes it's not all about the money.

On 25 November 2016 at 10:23, RadioactiveWaste said:

But Brad is a tough tackling leader who knows about being promoted which makes any potential downside null and void?

Oh wait....

But in all seriousness, I do quite like and rate Johnson but his transfer to us was badly thought out panic. Hughes' value to us contractually, as a footballer and as a signpost of what we want to be as a club is far higher than Johnson.

Zachary! 

Will epitomises the future for Derby. Academy product, first-class player, opted to stay with Derby despite opportunities to warm an EPL bench somewhere. 

And, as Ramit at least has said, there's not much significant about these issues at this stage. Even if Will extends his contract at Derby beyond 2018, he'll be off next season unless we win promotion. Frankly, he probably should go too, for the sake of his own career.

Can't imagine being a footballer sometimes. Imagine being a regular starter and getting paid less than somebody who has been in and out of the team for a year? 

Surely it would be sensible to have a flat rate for first team players, with performance-related bonus' as the only difference between the player's salaries? Do you think that's a system that might work, or would it make us an unattractive option for potential signings?

One thing's for sure, it'd ensure a degree of squad harmony if everybody earned the same before 'commission'. I'd certainly be annoyed if somebody got paid more than me based on how hard it was to get them away from their current club, or whatever other whim the recruitment team based their contract offer on. 

Archived