Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

Some of the best midfielders in world football don't create or score goals. Some of the best wingers don't create or score anywhere near as many as you'd imagine.

I remember Anderson (the lad that was at Forest) when he was Ipswich had really high assist rate and a few goals to his name. Yet only like 1 was in open play. He took all set pieces.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Not sure what on earth butterfield has done to him to warrant this level of hatred, seems to mention him in every post! He's a very talented player, and a much more clever player than Bryson, he's very good at picking out passes, and that's not to mention the shot he has on him

The shot on him? What's his scoring percentage from those shots this season ? 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Some of the best midfielders in world football don't create or score goals. Some of the best wingers don't create or score anywhere near as many as you'd imagine.

I remember Anderson (the lad that was at Forest) when he was Ipswich had really high assist rate and a few goals to his name. Yet only like 1 was in open play. He took all set pieces.

Haha! You're just having a laugh right.If he isn't scoring or creating goals and he doesnt tackle then what the heck is he doing ? 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Funny you say that, I've always wondered if we ought to be putting Will on set pieces and corners. Hardly like he's a threat in the box and I reckon since he can pick a pass in open play so well, maybe he can pick out heads in a crowd from a dead ball situation.

Maybe it'd work, maybe not. Surely worth a go. Maybe they've already trialled it in training and it's not gone well for all we know to be fair.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I understand why he's rejecting contracts, because he does deserve a good offer and he's a very talented player.

He just needs to do more with what ability he has. The likes of Lansbury and Hourihane eclipse his actual contribution with regards to goals and assists despite him being the better player to watch. 

The likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, who have been mentioned in this thread, don't have space for a player who scores and creates a goal once every three weeks. 

Dude. He doesn't have coutinho Alexis firminho cazorla Lallana or Walcott around him. Makes a huge difference in end result. 

19 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The shot on him? What's his scoring percentage from those shots this season ? 

Yep 0%, exactly the same as Bryson- we've been shocking going forward until very recently so I don't think it's fair to judge his ability on this season, look last season and you'll see I believe he was our 3rd highest scorer, not bad for a player that only ever passes the ball backward....

Shot in the dark and by no means based on any insider knowledge ,,,, Hughes appears to me to be the reasonably loyal type of kid /player and sensible too , maybe Mac returning does not do it for him , did nt a lot of players feel let down and a bit conned by Mac over the whole Newcastle saga ? They bought into the long term building something special line and signed new contracts when perhaps money moves to prem were options for a few only to then find Mac not so long term committed when a better option( in his eyes) came along ,, maybe the return of Mac is in his eyes the right time to put his toe in the water and see what's out there for him?      Just saying it's a possibility

11 hours ago, Ninos said:

Haha! You're just having a laugh right.If he isn't scoring or creating goals and he doesnt tackle then what the heck is he doing ? 

So we were the same quality team before Hughes as we are since he came through? Are you suggesting Hughes does nothing?

Where did I say he doesn't tackle?

I know it's going to be hard for you to comprehend but there's a bit that happens before scoring goals. 

Can I ask you, did you ever watch Xavi, Pirlo or Modric and wonder why they're rated amongst the best in the world over half a decade or more.

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yep 0%, exactly the same as Bryson- we've been shocking going forward until very recently so I don't think it's fair to judge his ability on this season, look last season and you'll see I believe he was our 3rd highest scorer, not bad for a player that only ever passes the ball backward....

Don't bother. You are wasting your time. Promise. 

Just nod and wave. 

19 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So we were the same quality team before Hughes as we are since he came through? Are you suggesting Hughes does nothing?

I know it's going to be hard for you to comprehend but there's a bit that happens before scoring goals. 

Can I ask you, did you ever watch Xavi, Pirlo or Modric and wonder why they're rated amongst the best in the world over half a decade or more.

I Wasn't referring to Hughes. You were talking Butterfield last I recall. Hughes sets up goals tackles and the scoring is coming. 

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Quite frankly, Will Hughes does not belong in the same chapter as Pirlo, Xavi, and Modric ... let alone the same sentence.

Let's cut out the ridiculous comparisons eh?

I'll miss the lad if he goes, he's part of the furniture. But I wouldn't be sad to see him go if he gets a great opportunity, he deserves a chance at far greater success than he'd get with us even if we got promoted. 

1 minute ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Quite frankly, Will Hughes does not belong in the same chapter as Pirlo, Xavi, and Modric ... let alone the same sentence.

So you are saying that players of different level of abilities cannot be compared in any way?

Alpha isn't saying Will is as good as those, he just has a similar style.

Why do feel the need for the aggressive posts if someone's opinion is different to yours?

2 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Comparing players in style of play is not comparing them in quality. 

If people couldn't use higher quality players when talking about the attributes of a player, players that are famous and everyone knows, then no-one would know what the **** they are talking about and it wouldn't be very useful in making a ******* point. 

4 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Style does not necessarily equal ability.

Comparisons between people of different abilities are valid - for instance, we both post on DCFCFans, but there the comparison ends.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

Style does not necessarily equal ability.

Comparisons between people of different abilities are valid - for instance, we both post on DCFCFans, but there the comparison ends.

That's quite right. Because my posts are always of superior quality, infinitely more well informed, and frankly, always absolutely correct.

:-)

17 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I Wasn't referring to Hughes. You were talking Butterfield last I recall. Hughes sets up goals tackles and the scoring is coming. 

No I wasn't. 

You was, obviously. Which is where I'll leave it because your weird player obsessions bore me. 

It's interesting though that you have Hughes down as setting up goals and Butterfield as not... yet they both are at around the 20 mark for chances created for this season. We also have your reliable input that Hughes' goals are coming. But when you was talking about Butterfield then you asked what percentage of shots has he scored from. Obviously you only wanted an answer for this season only. 

It's almost as if you set different criteria for different players in the same position to suit your agenda. 

I'll leave you to it Ninos. Arguing with you is boring and pointless. 

Archived