Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

16 minutes ago, WoollyJumper said:

I'm not for one minute suggesting that his contract negotiations are unimportant. We have no idea what stage/level these negotiations are at, and to assume that a media outlet does, and that what they then report is gospel is not giving our club and its management the proper respect that they will endeavor to make the best decision for our club. It's a bit like a game of cricket. You can't make a proper judgement on the state of a game until both teams have a had a bat.

And my point is that this is the one player (or manager) that we should not be haggling with. Give him what he wants which is what he deserves. He should be our highest paid player, full stop

Surely The Mirror wouldn't just fabricate a story from thin air about him rejecting a contract offer there must be truth in it. 

As far as I'm concerned, Hughes is no ordinary case. Hopefully the club will do the right thing here.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen or read the original report. I don't know how much money Johnson, Hughes or anyone else is on. I don't know if Will has been offered or has rejected a new contract.

Guess I should probably step back from my natural outrage that my favourite player might not always be here and refrain from  making any drastic comment.

I love the lad. Saw in him at 16 for the reserves or whatever and it was obvious that he was a different class. He'll get poached at some point unless we get to a stage where he's no longer one of our stars, in which case it won't matter.  **** it. Just enjoy him while he's here and trust that Sam and Mel will do everything they can to keep him until it becomes obvious we can't, at which point they'll try to get the best deal for him that we can.

Keep an eye out for Timi-Max and hope for the best.

9 minutes ago, needles said:

I haven't seen or read the original report. I don't know how much money Johnson, Hughes or anyone else is on. I don't know if Will has been offered or has rejected a new contract.

Guess I should probably step back from my natural outrage that my favourite player might not always be here and refrain from  making any drastic comment.

I love the lad. Saw in him at 16 for the reserves or whatever and it was obvious that he was a different class. He'll get poached at some point unless we get to a stage where he's no longer one of our stars, in which case it won't matter.  **** it. Just enjoy him while he's here and trust that Sam and Mel will do everything they can to keep him until it becomes obvious we can't, at which point they'll try to get the best deal for him that we can.

Keep an eye out for Timi-Max and hope for the best.

He's very good too isn't he 

18 minutes ago, Ninos said:

And my point is that this is the one player (or manager) that we should not be haggling with. Give him what he wants which is what he deserves. He should be our highest paid player, full stop

Surely The Mirror wouldn't just fabricate a story from thin air about him rejecting a contract offer there must be truth in it. 

As far as I'm concerned, Hughes is no ordinary case. Hopefully the club will do the right thing here.

Why would you assume that we are haggling with him? Because a media outlet said so? Wouldn't be the first time that a story has been embellished to sound like more than it actually is. We don't know what Will or his management are asking. It maybe totally unrealistic. Here I am speculating. But we just don't know. Just because we are negotiating doesn't mean it's nothing but amicable.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The idiocy of our recruitment policy rears its ugly head again. Not only did we buy Bradders on a "last minute of the transfer window" whim, we also decided to pay him a fortune to piss the rest of the squad off. If I were Will, I'd be more than "unimpressed" at being offered less than a distinctly inferior squad colleague too.

lot of sense in what you say its not easy to build team spirit with a uneven wage stucture think this caused us problems last season its a tough one

Probs a agent spreading some news, maybe Will does feel under valued at Derby, but the 30k rumour for Johnson isn't a fact.

but let's pretend it is all true, who ever the top earner is at the club, Hughes should be on the same, he's cost the club nothing in transfer fee's.

but on the other hand, has he ever helped a team win promotion before?

8 hours ago, WoollyJumper said:

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people are to except that something that gets reported, is exactly what is going on. I think it would be most prudent to take a breath, and let these things resolve themselves,before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Rubbish. The only reasonable answer is for us all to boo Hughes at tomorrow's game.

And Johnson.

And Mel.

And Keogh.

Usually I'd say take the money, reinvest 15 million as good as Will is. However 15 Million in today's market gets you Bradley Johnson, Nick Blackman, Andreas Weimann and Razza Camera. In which case Will is one of a kind and a must keep!

As bad as the article is I think it highlights the work to be done on the first team squad because I wouldn't be surprised if our wage structure was all over the place. People say Bradley Johnson wouldn't be on anywhere near that, why not? He signed for Norwich as a premier league player then we broke our transfer  record to prize him away from them. I'd question whether 50% of our squad is worth what their weekly wage slip reads.

9 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

It wasn't. Mel saw/heard that he was availible and signed him no matter the cost. Didn't even really consult Clement before hand. Didn't put much thought into how he would fit in the team either.

And you know this how?

36 minutes ago, David said:

The Mirror? Ohhhhh

Nigel Pearson's relationship with Derby owner Mel Morris hit rock bottom when the multi-millionaire began using drones to spy on training sessions.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nigel-pearson-derby-county-drome-8958911#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Was that where that ***** came from. 

I never buy into Holloway, Sky, Channel 5, Manish and the FL show having a problem with Derby. We're a "Northern" club from a small city with success well in the past and no impact in the PL in any media memory.

But The Mirror seems to pick us out quite often for its **** stirring. It does it quite a lot. 

9 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Pretty sure Mel said it at one of the pub evenings last season. Said that it was too good a deal to turn down and that he made the decision to sign him.

He may have made the decision (as the man with the money it's hardly surprising) but it doesn't mean he didn't consult. 

Has every one over looked the fact this story's come from The Mirror???  There only just under The Sun on the bulls**t scale.  Once it's in the DET without the tagline of "What we know..." I'll consider it fact, until then a guys who wrote it after chucking darts at the "Random Story Generator Board"...

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Has every one over looked the fact this story's come from The Mirror???  There only just under The Sun on the bulls**t scale.  Once it's in the DET without the tagline of "What we know..." I'll consider it fact, until then a guys who wrote it after chucking darts at the "Random Story Generator Board"...

The only bit I disagree with is that you put it just under The Sun. It's top on goal difference imo

Archived