Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

Ignore, it's from the mirror. The same newspaper that said a few days ago that Man City are plotting a 200 million bid for Messi despite Guardiola stating that he hopes Messi stays at Barcelona for the rest of his career. The mirror also made an article stating that Messi may want to come to the premier league to prove he can do at at Stoke. Pathetic newspaper. The only reliable newspaper in relation to transfer news is the Guardian.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Load of ****.

This stuff happens all the time, the agents are after their big slice of the pie and it just happens that Derby along with other clubs have a source (grass) who stirs the pot.

Will needs to knuckle down and own games before he gets a move to the top league, he knows that we are close to making that final step and he has time on his side.

Having transfer windows has made Newspapers resort to printing this stuff to fill its pages, how many of their transfer rumours actually pay off?

FWIW I think Will will be sold in the summer if we don't go up.

He still has a fair bit of time left on his current deal so it's good to see we are addressing it now instead of 6-12 months before the end when it will be too late. 

He is within his rights to ask for more money, he will either get it or move on. He was never going to be here forever and we coped well enough without him last season when he popped his knee. 

I certainly don't want him to go as he is brilliant, but we have to be realistic.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

And you know this how?

Mel said it at a pub evening last season.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

He may have made the decision (as the man with the money it's hardly surprising) but it doesn't mean he didn't consult. 

The impression I got is that Clement had very little input into that transfer. I may be reading into the lines that aren't there, but that's the impression I got. 

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

Mel said it at a pub evening last season.

The impression I got is that Clement had very little input into that transfer. I may be reading into the lines that aren't there, but that's the impression I got. 

Well, looking at how Brad Johnson is performing, I would say that it seems to have been a very astute piece of business.

It could be a load of old cobblers. 

It could be true, but being taken completely out of context to add some drama!

We may have started negotiations on a new contract, put our initial offer on the table and Hughes and his agent have said come back with a better offer. Which Mel will do after stepping back to consider his next offer. 

Standard negotiations, nothing to worry about. 

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

Well, looking at how Brad Johnson is performing, I would say that it seems to have been a very astute piece of business.

Wasn't having a go at Johnson, quite like him in that defensive midfield position. Just that we broke our transfer model (or at least signalled to the wider world that we would break it). Still think £6 million was too much for him.

Bit of a non-story for me.

Hughes has (allegedly, it's The Mirror) turned down the initial contract offer - fair enough, I imagine this is usually the case in most contract negotiations where the club offers a bit lower than they're willing to pay (again, as I think any negotiator worth their salt would do) and Will's turned it down, knowing he'll get a better offer.

The fact clubs are interested, well I think Will's always been on various clubs radars, but leaving him to develop at Derby which was the best place for him. He won't be with us much longer I don't think, couple of seasons at most. 

Just now, PodgeyRam said:

Wasn't having a go at Johnson, quite like him in that defensive midfield position. Just that we broke our transfer model (or at least signalled to the wider world that we would break it). Still think £6 million was too much for him.

Please name the players you would have liked to have promoted from the U21s or purchased in order to replace the absolutely vital Bryson and Hughes, both confirmed as being pretty much out for the season by that time.

Well I'm worried

Don't care if it's true or it isn't true or whatever but we need to get him locked in ASAP and he should be the clubs highest wage earner now because he's our biggest asset by a long shot. 

Now it's out there and it's in the DET the premier league vultures will be all over us and I'm betting it's Liverpool that will come knocking. 

Where there's smoke there is usually fire. 

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

Well I'm worried

Don't care if it's true or it isn't true or whatever but we need to get him locked in ASAP and he should be the clubs highest wage earner now because he's our biggest asset by a long shot. 

Now it's out there and it's in the DET the premier league vultures will be all over us and I'm betting it's Liverpool that will come knocking. 

Where there's smoke there is usually fire. 

That's not a concern.

They'll never get past the adverts before the next transfer window closes.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Please name the players you would have liked to have promoted from the U21s or purchased in order to replace the absolutely vital Bryson and Hughes, both confirmed as being pretty much out for the season by that time.

Butterfield was a fine choice, fitted in with our style of play. A loan would've been fine as well, there are plenty of midfielders available. Still don't mind Johnson, more the fact the way we went about signing him.

14 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Butterfield was a fine choice, fitted in with our style of play. A loan would've been fine as well, there are plenty of midfielders available. Still don't mind Johnson, more the fact the way we went about signing him.

A loan?

Joey Barton, I presume?

Your insistence that there were 'plenty of midfielders available' just implies "Anyone but Johnson".

2 hours ago, eddie said:

And you know this how?

It was in the DT at one point. We were alerted to his availability the night before, and the whole deal was complete from start to finish in under 24 hours. BJ wasn't even in Derby until three and the window shut.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

It was in the DT at one point. We were alerted to his availability the night before, and the whole deal was complete from start to finish in under 24 hours. BJ wasn't even in Derby until three and the window shut.

So it was a case of 'strike while the iron is hot' or not replace Hughes at all then?

Also, what was in the DET? @PodgeyRam is suggesting that it was without Clement's say-so. Was that in the DET? If so, link please.

Must be a load of ********. Any contract extension offered to Will will make him the clubs top earner - it couldn't be any other way. Unless the people running the club are complete idiots - which, judging by nearly everything they've done so far - they are not. At all.

Archived