Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

12 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I just found it a very poor piece of decision making when he had all day to pick someone out, for such a deity, for someone so close to almighty godliness, as Hughes is, obviously. ((rolls eyes))

If I were Ince, I'd have been going spare at him.

Anyway, good job Johnson was there to lash home the loose ball. That is all that matter ultimately.

The next game approaches.

You really need a course of anger management.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

.So what if he ran into trouble, he still managed to lay the ball off and create a scoring chance.  WITH 4 PLAYERS ROUND HIM!!!  Name me a single player that's never made a mistake???

This is why a f****ng hate agents & ****-rags like The Mirror publishing garbage on their say so.  One overblown paragraph and the trolls come out the woodwork slating the player, cus they now think he's a mercenary.  

Watch it again, and tell me he wasn't dispossessed. It was poor. 'layed it off to set up the chance' What utter after the fact balderdash. He lost it! 'So what if he ran into trouble' ... this is also a laughable thing to say.

The fact is mate, a top class player releases the ball, makes the right decision, before even running into those four players. I apologise unreservedly for being critical of a player that you all love. Shame on me. Give me fifty lashes for feeling frustrated with him.

You don't learn anything in life without criticism. It isn't a dirty word. He is out there on the pitch, and just as accountable as the other ten men. he isn't a special case, he is open to criticism just like everyone else, just as he is praise. And of course, to that end, when praise is due, it shall be offered.

Don't cast aspersions at me either. I have never unconditionally kissed Hughes' backside. 

I'm just actually able to admit where Hughes goes wrong, just the same as with the other players, and the fact that he isn't the finished article, and some of you don't like it, and thats fine, we all have heroes on the football pitch. I don't deny you that.

However, I've always said, yes, he is a fantastic talent, hot prospect. Messiah, finished article, nowhere near, lets all calm it a bit and see how he develops.

No one out there more than I would like to see him stuff Wigan off the park. lets see.

2 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Watch it again, and tell me he wasn't dispossessed. It was poor. 'layed it off to set up the chance' What utter after the fact balderdash. He lost it! 'So what if he ran into trouble' ... this is also a laughable thing to say.

The fact is mate, a top class player releases the ball, makes the right decision, before even running into those four players. I apologise unreservedly for being critical of a player that you all love. Shame on me. Give me fifty lashes for feeling frustrated with him.

You don't learn anything in life without criticism. It isn't a dirty word. He is out there on the pitch, and just as accountable as the other ten men. he isn't a special case, he is open to criticism just like everyone else, just as he is praise. And of course, to that end, when praise is due, it shall be offered.

Don't cast aspersions at me either. I have never unconditionally kissed Hughes' backside. 

I'm just actually able to admit where Hughes goes wrong, just the same as with the other players, and the fact that he isn't the finished article, and some of you don't like it, and thats fine, we all have heroes on the football pitch. I don't deny you that.

However, I've always said, yes, he is a fantastic talent, hot prospect. Messiah, finished article, nowhere near, lets all calm it a bit and see how he develops.

No one out there more than I would like to see him stuff Wigan off the park. lets see.

Never said he was the finished article, if he was, do you think he'd still be here?  I'm not saying he's above criticism, I'm not saying he can do no wrong.  What i'm saying is since the article was published the number of people giving him stick has increased.  All because his agent needs his 15% to finish the extension on his house...

People seem to forget that Will Hughes is still, basically, a kid in footballing terms. The fact that he has been a regular for 3 out of the last 4 years doesn't change that. He could go on improving for another 6 or 7 years.

Sorry for being the sensible one. It is quite alien to me.

Will has just rejected his latest improved contract offer.

Before anyone presses the panic button, this is surely inevitable. His current contract runs to the end of next (the 2017/18) season, so there's plenty of time to sort this out, but given that I struggle to see why he would sign on the dotted line before the end of this season, without huge financial incentives. It's necessary for him to see where we finish up.

If we don't get promotion, I expect the time will have come for him to move on and test himself with a different club in the Premier League, and we will get a good fee for him. If we go up then I hope he will sign an extension to give us at least a first season in the Premier League, and then see what happens. If he's ambitious, for all his talent he won't break through into the senior England team playing Championship football with Derby.

In recent times we've brough many players in for far higher fees that the club had paid previously: Ince, Butterfield, Johnson, Anya, Vydra, Given the fees paid, these players will all be on massive wages, as well as the likes of Bent who came on a free and probably Shackell, Blackman and Weimann too. It's hard not to think this would lead to tensions in the dressing room, very much like what happened with the late incomings during the Billy Davies promotion season: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-436192/Derby-PFA-tackle-bonus-row.html The reports on Will's initial contract rejection were that he'd still be being paid significantly less than some of these new players, and you can understand why the most saleable asset the club has would not be happy to remain in that position even after a new contract was signed.

If the club doesn't want to wait there is a possible way out with the addition of the right agreed buyout clause in Hughes' contract. But as we saw with the Bryson and Burnley situation, these can be hard to judge in terms of level and the club wasn't keen they were enforced (though perhaps because we'd set the level too low). I'd suggest £20m if Derby are a Championship club and £30m if we're a Premier League club. Those figures safeguard Derby's financial interest in the player, but if that's their valuation then they'll need to pay the player more to match it. But this could lead to unrest among the other players.

Who'd be a contract negotiator? Unless you're a football agent in which case I'm sure it's very lucrative.

On 12/1/2016 at 09:10, eddie said:

You really need a course of anger management.

Must be a half fan because I see Hughes give it his all every game. And he's telling us Ince rolls his eyes at Hughes ??? 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Will has just rejected his latest improved contract offer.

Before anyone presses the panic button, this is surely inevitable. His current contract runs to the end of next (the 2017/18) season, so there's plenty of time to sort this out, but given that I struggle to see why he would sign on the dotted line before the end of this season, without huge financial incentives. It's necessary for him to see where we finish up.

If we don't get promotion, I expect the time will have come for him to move on and test himself with a different club in the Premier League, and we will get a good fee for him. If we go up then I hope he will sign an extension to give us at least a first season in the Premier League, and then see what happens. If he's ambitious, for all his talent he won't break through into the senior England team playing Championship football with Derby.

In recent times we've brough many players in for far higher fees that the club had paid previously: Ince, Butterfield, Johnson, Anya, Vydra, Given the fees paid, these players will all be on massive wages, as well as the likes of Bent who came on a free and probably Shackell, Blackman and Weimann too. It's hard not to think this would lead to tensions in the dressing room, very much like what happened with the late incomings during the Billy Davies promotion season: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-436192/Derby-PFA-tackle-bonus-row.html The reports on Will's initial contract rejection were that he'd still be being paid significantly less than some of these new players, and you can understand why the most saleable asset the club has would not be happy to remain in that position even after a new contract was signed.

If the club doesn't want to wait there is a possible way out with the addition of the right agreed buyout clause in Hughes' contract. But as we saw with the Bryson and Burnley situation, these can be hard to judge in terms of level and the club wasn't keen they were enforced (though perhaps because we'd set the level too low). I'd suggest £20m if Derby are a Championship club and £30m if we're a Premier League club. Those figures safeguard Derby's financial interest in the player, but if that's their valuation then they'll need to pay the player more to match it. But this could lead to unrest among the other players.

Who'd be a contract negotiator? Unless you're a football agent in which case I'm sure it's very lucrative.

Good post. I love him to bits and he's the best player we've had here in decades but if I'm will Hughes there ain't a snowballs chance in hell im signing up for more of what's gone on at Derby - at least until I know the outcome of our new direction. He's smart not to sign. Steve mcclaren isn't going to improve him sorry to say. He'd fit right in at Liverpool or Arsenal he's that good - at Derby he doesn't have a single creative player to work with except maybe Lowe and Christie (defenders) and Bryso who gets overlooked for the sideways running backward passing Butterfield. He should wait and see what the transfer market brings. If we got promoted to the PL and get a truly first class manager in and some PL players in the midfield and up front, only then he could stay and excel. But he needs to be showcasing his talents in a higher division with better players.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Must be a half fan because I see Hughes give it his all every game. And he's telling us Ince rolls his eyes at Hughes ??? 

Good post. I love him to bits and he's the best player we've had here in decades but if I'm will Hughes there ain't a snowballs chance in hell im signing up for more of what's gone on at Derby - at least until I know the outcome of our new direction. He's smart not to sign. Steve mcclaren isn't going to improve him sorry to say. He'd fit right in at Liverpool or Arsenal he's that good - at Derby he doesn't have a single creative player to work with except maybe Lowe and Christie (defenders) and Bryso who gets overlooked for the sideways running backward passing Butterfield. He should wait and see what the transfer market brings. If we got promoted to the PL and get a truly first class manager in and some PL players in the midfield and up front, only then he could stay and excel. But he needs to be showcasing his talents in a higher division with better players.

Wow

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

Haha. Even in something completely unrelated, you've still managed to crowbar an anti-Butterfield remark in. It takes skill to manage that. Bravo.

4 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Haha. Even in something completely unrelated, you've still managed to crowbar an anti-Butterfield remark in. It takes skill to manage that. Bravo.

Not sure what on earth butterfield has done to him to warrant this level of hatred, seems to mention him in every post! He's a very talented player, and a much more clever player than Bryson, he's very good at picking out passes, and that's not to mention the shot he has on him

I know there might not be any right times for contract negotiations, but surely during what appears to be a crucial period for us upsetting one of our most gifted players of recent times, isn't a wise move.

Since the Wolves game he hasn't been up to his usual standards, how much are these negotiations and the fact he may have one eye on his next move effecting his game?

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Not sure what on earth butterfield has done to him to warrant this level of hatred, seems to mention him in every post! He's a very talented player, and a much more clever player than Bryson, he's very good at picking out passes, and that's not to mention the shot he has on him

I like Butterfield and Bryson. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would feel like slagging them off based on their Rams careers thus far. Both have done well for us, both give their all, both seem down to earth lads. 

But to refer to an individual player in most of your posts, even unrelated topics, that's beyond me I'm afraid. 

I like Bradley's hair.

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Chris Martin has left. Butterfield is next. 

It's really that simple. 

I understand why he's rejecting contracts, because he does deserve a good offer and he's a very talented player.

He just needs to do more with what ability he has. The likes of Lansbury and Hourihane eclipse his actual contribution with regards to goals and assists despite him being the better player to watch. 

The likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, who have been mentioned in this thread, don't have space for a player who scores and creates a goal once every three weeks. 

Archived