Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

I've been comfortable with the thought of him getting his PL chance for a long time, but the thought of him going for no fee is somewhat sickening.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very simple.  If he does not want to be here, get rid in January!  He should not hold the club to ransom (not saying he is) but if he has been offered a decent improved contract he either accepts it, or he should sod off.  He is a good player, but he is not irreplaceable.

We do not want players that do not want to be here.  

Harsh stance but reality.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I've been comfortable with the thought of him getting his PL chance for a long time, but the thought of him going for no fee is somewhat sickening.

There is not the remotest possibility of that happening, because he will still be under 24 when his current contract comes to an end, therefore if he had been offered a contract by Derby that was equal to or better than the expiring terms, then a tribunal would set the level of compensation.

Note that this is not the same as compensation for Academy training compensation - that would have to be sorted out as well.

Danny Ings as a 'free agent' cost Liverpool around 8 million in compensation when they took him from Burnley. The same applies here.

I would imagine there is some truth in this, Derby offer contract, Hughes agent thinks he should get more. Negotiations probably taking place but to'incentivise' derby to put an improved offer in he leaks story to some journo, a few bullett points that the journo goes away and writes a story around.

if we dont go up this season i wouldnt blame hughes one bit by looking to move on, how many seasons can he think 'next year will be the one', 2 - 3 seasons down the line he may have missed his opportunity.

13 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Very simple.  If he does not want to be here, get rid in January!  He should not hold the club to ransom (not saying he is) but if he has been offered a decent improved contract he either accepts it, or he should sod off.  He is a good player, but he is not irreplaceable.

We do not want players that do not want to be here.  

Harsh stance but reality.

If you were offered a new contract (I have no idea what you do for a living) and you thought that the terms did not match what you felt that you were worth, would you automatically look elsewhere? Also, even if you didn't look elsewhere and it was just your opening gambit, would your boss automatically assume that because you had turned down his offer, that you wanted to leave?

You have no idea whether Hughes wants to leave Derby, but you have just made that assumption with your "He should not hold the club to ransom" retort without being in the possession of ANY facts, let alone all of them.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I would imagine there is some truth in this, Derby offer contract, Hughes agent thinks he should get more. Negotiations probably taking place but to'incentivise' derby to put an improved offer in he leaks story to some journo, a few bullett points that the journo goes away and writes a story around.

if we dont go up this season i wouldnt blame hughes one bit by looking to move on, how many seasons can he think 'next year will be the one', 2 - 3 seasons down the line he may have missed his opportunity.

I wouldn't dismiss the story as he only has a year left on his deal, would be crazy to think the club haven't spoke with his agent. It's the finer details I would take with a pinch of salt from the Mirror like 30k Bradley Johnson, the drone story probably came from the cameras on the training field which were there before Pearson's arrival.

6 minutes ago, David said:

I wouldn't dismiss the story as he only has a year left on his deal, would be crazy to think the club haven't spoke with his agent. It's the finer details I would take with a pinch of salt from the Mirror like 30k Bradley Johnson, the drone story probably came from the cameras on the training field which were there before Pearson's arrival.

Yes agree totally.

30 minutes ago, eddie said:

If you were offered a new contract (I have no idea what you do for a living) and you thought that the terms did not match what you felt that you were worth, would you automatically look elsewhere? Also, even if you didn't look elsewhere and it was just your opening gambit, would your boss automatically assume that because you had turned down his offer, that you wanted to leave?

You have no idea whether Hughes wants to leave Derby, but you have just made that assumption with your "He should not hold the club to ransom" retort without being in the possession of ANY facts, let alone all of them.

I did qualify that by saying "not saying he is".  All I am saying is, if he is going to be unhappy with the terms offered, he will not be a happy bunny and it may well start to reflect in his performances.  If that is the case, it would be best for all if he goes.

I am not sure offering him more than the reputed salary of Johnson would be good for the club or the other players at the club either, as it may only cause further bitterness and unrest within the squad.

If true, we should never have offered Johnson the terms he is allegedly receiving.  There lies the root of the problem.

19 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I did qualify that by saying "not saying he is".  All I am saying is, if he is going to be unhappy with the terms offered, he will not be a happy bunny and it may well start to reflect in his performances.  If that is the case, it would be best for all if he goes.

I am not sure offering him more than the reputed salary of Johnson would be good for the club or the other players at the club either, as it may only cause further bitterness and unrest within the squad.

If true, we should never have offered Johnson the terms he is allegedly receiving.  There lies the root of the problem.

The fact of the matter is that Will Hughes is 21 years old, and signed a 4-year contract when he was 19. If we are making comparisons with Bradley Johnson, well Johnson was a valued member (POTY) of a promoted side who signed for a Derby side in a last-minute desperate bid to obtain a quality midfield player to replace Hughes, injured a couple of weeks beforehand.

If we had not offered the terms we did to Johnson (and I have no idea what those terms were), then we would probably not have been able to attract him to the club. Whether the entire season then would have been a write-off, whether expectation levels would have been as high as they were and whether the club would have been so eager to follow the wishes of the boo-boys and remove Paul Clement from the club, leading us through Darren Wassall and Nigel Pearson to where we are now with the return of Steve McClaren, is the stuff of conjecture.

I am never willing to deal in speculation at the expense of facts. Others, yourself included, seem to take the opposite view.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

A loan?

Joey Barton, I presume?

Your insistence that there were 'plenty of midfielders available' just implies "Anyone but Johnson".

Barton signed for Burnley that window, so he wouldn't have been loaned to us.

No, it implies that Johnson wasn't the only available option. Jon Toral, went on loan to Birmingham from Arsenal,

Lewis Baker, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, all good players who would benefit from loans to a championship team fighting for promotion.

Don't believe this is anything to do with money - its about ambition. He's 21, has been courted by big clubs for a few years now & is clearly good enough to play at a higher level. He's been loyal to the club, believing (correctly) that playing first team football in the second tier is far preferable to loitering in a Premiership reserve side & tolerating what has been a pretty schizophrenic few years in terms of club philosophy & management.

Our only chance of keeping him is if we go up this year - simply don't believe he will sign (whatever the wage) beyond 23 with us still in the second tier. Will be incredibly sad when he (in all likelihood) goes but absolutely understand why - genuinely want him to be able to fulfill his potential, whatever the ultimate destination.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Well I'm worried

Don't care if it's true or it isn't true or whatever but we need to get him locked in ASAP and he should be the clubs highest wage earner now because he's our biggest asset by a long shot. 

Now it's out there and it's in the DET the premier league vultures will be all over us and I'm betting it's Liverpool that will come knocking. 

Where there's smoke there is usually fire. 

Whilst Hughes is a very talented player, he is nowhere near good enough for Liverpool, especially under Klopp's high tempo team. I'd be more worried if Rodgers was the Liverpool manager who has more of an understanding of British players and Hughes would have suited his possession game. Klopp will probably look at players from Germany for the Liverpool team like Dahoud

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Whilst Hughes is a very talented player, he is nowhere near good enough for Liverpool, especially under Klopp's high tempo team. I'd be more worried if Rodgers was the Liverpool manager who has more of an understanding of British players and Hughes would have suited his possession game. Klopp will probably look at players from Germany for the Liverpool team like Dahoud

Whilst I agree with you that he isn't at the level to be playing at Liverpool yet, and that Klopp will perhaps look toward Germany. I do think Hughes would fit nicely into Klopp's system because Hughes has the energy and workrate to play that high pressing, high tempo play style heck it's basically what we've strived for under McClaren.

31 minutes ago, eddie said:

The fact of the matter is that Will Hughes is 21 years old, and signed a 4-year contract when he was 19. If we are making comparisons with Bradley Johnson, well Johnson was a valued member (POTY) of a promoted side who signed for a Derby side in a last-minute desperate bid to obtain a quality midfield player to replace Hughes, injured a couple of weeks beforehand.

If we had not offered the terms we did to Johnson (and I have no idea what those terms were), then we would probably not have been able to attract him to the club. Whether the entire season then would have been a write-off, whether expectation levels would have been as high as they were and whether the club would have been so eager to follow the wishes of the boo-boys and remove Paul Clement from the club, leading us through Darren Wassall and Nigel Pearson to where we are now with the return of Steve McClaren, is the stuff of conjecture.

I am never willing to deal in speculation at the expense of facts. Others, yourself included, seem to take the opposite view.

Not just at this club, but it is an accepted fact that by offering a player more than his colleagues does cause unrest.  I think the same can be said in any work environment really.

Whether you believe the club think Johnson is worth the extra salary does not alter that fact that it is bound to cause disharmony within the club.  A fact of life.  This is why the Hughes situation could be a difficult dilemma to resolve.

In my opinion, no person is bigger than the club..........Mel Morris may argue with that comment though! 

The Hughes situation could be fraught with problems for the club and difficult decisions need to be made.  Whatever that decision is, will not please some, that is for sure! 

Standard practice to negotiate. Views are pretty even on whos in the right here but one thing I would not do is "get rid in January". Are we weaker without him? Of course. Could we or would we get someone in Jan as good to replace him? doubtful!

He will be looking at what Mac does in January and making a decision then based on an improved offer I suspect.

24 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Not just at this club, but it is an accepted fact that by offering a player more than his colleagues does cause unrest.  I think the same can be said in any work environment really.

Whether you believe the club think Johnson is worth the extra salary does not alter that fact that it is bound to cause disharmony within the club.  A fact of life.  This is why the Hughes situation could be a difficult dilemma to resolve.

In my opinion, no person is bigger than the club..........Mel Morris may argue with that comment though! 

The Hughes situation could be fraught with problems for the club and difficult decisions need to be made.  Whatever that decision is, will not please some, that is for sure! 

'NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB' 

Spot on.

If the worst comes to the worst, and the boy is sold, a scenario which is a million miles from happening by the way ... we will carry on, and prosper. 

Hughes is an excellent prospect, but still, nothing more. 

Far better players than Hughes have upped and left us. That is football.

Archived