Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

15 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Quite frankly, Will Hughes does not belong in the same chapter as Pirlo, Xavi, and Modric ... let alone the same sentence.

Let's cut out the ridiculous comparisons eh?

If I'd said Dave for The Red Lion or Steve for MET Police would you have understood my point. 

Did I compare the players? Or did I compare the roles/styles they play for their respective teams in their respective leagues against their respective opponents. 

Let's not cut down the ridiculous comparisons eh? Let's just read what people type

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

If I'd said Dave for The Red Lion or Steve for MET Police would you have understood my point. 

Did I compare the players? Or did I compare the roles/styles they play for their respective teams in their respective leagues against their respective opponents. 

Let's not cut down the ridiculous comparisons eh? Let's just read what people type

It's still nonsense, regardless. Hughes plays nowhere near the role that Prilo or Xavi play/played.

'I know, let me pick some big names out and make like i know what I'm on about when trying to compare them to the grotesquely overrated Hughes'

44 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

It's still nonsense, regardless. Hughes plays nowhere near the role that Prilo or Xavi play/played.

'I know, let me pick some big names out and make like i know what I'm on about when trying to compare them to the grotesquely overrated Hughes'

That'll be a first.

;)

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

No I wasn't. 

You was, obviously. Which is where I'll leave it because your weird player obsessions bore me. 

It's interesting though that you have Hughes down as setting up goals and Butterfield as not... yet they both are at around the 20 mark for chances created for this season. We also have your reliable input that Hughes' goals are coming. But when you was talking about Butterfield then you asked what percentage of shots has he scored from. Obviously you only wanted an answer for this season only. 

It's almost as if you set different criteria for different players in the same position to suit your agenda. 

I'll leave you to it Ninos. Arguing with you is boring and pointless. 

Butterfield is a weak link sorry to burst your bubble pal. The blind squirrel will find a few nuts but the dude hinders our attacks. 

My agenda is to want top quality players at Derby not has beens wannabes and can't bes. 

And if it's so boring and pointless then id advise you to ignore or not reply to practically every post. Or I guess you could just delete them lol. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Don't agree with Daz at all but you're just baiting people with these hairy fairy counter attacks ;) 

15 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Hughes is vastly underrated at Derby not grotesquely overrated for crying out loud. 

I highlighted where @Daz_The_Ram posted "like I know what I'm on about" and then replied with "That'll be a first".

It loses the effect when you have to explain a joke.

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

I highlighted where @Daz_The_Ram posted "like I know what I'm on about" and then replied with "That'll be a first".

It loses the effect when you have to explain a joke.

I know. It was quite a funny joke though not anywhere near your best. Tired Friday ?  I just wanted to big up Will and couldn't be arsed to go back and quote him and you were the nearest post to grab. 

16 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Butterfield is a weak link sorry to burst your bubble pal. The blind squirrel will find a few nuts but the dude hinders our attacks. 

My agenda is to want top quality players at Derby not has beens wannabes and can't bes. 

And if it's so boring and pointless then id advise you to ignore or not reply to practically every post. Or I guess you could just delete them lol. 

Taken from Sqwaka, stats for all our centre mids this season.

Jacob Butterfield, in the English Football League - Championship, has scored no goals this season, creating 19 chances and two assists. Jacob Butterfield has completed 676 passes this season with a pass accuracy of 83%, of which 72% were forward passes.
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/players/jacob-butterfield/stats

Will Hughes, in the English Football League - Championship, has scored no goals this season, creating 21 chances and two assists. Will Hughes has completed 595 passes this season with a pass accuracy of 81%, of which 71% were forward passes.
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/players/will-hughes-hughes/stats

Bradley Johnson, in the English Football League - Championship, has scored two goals this season, creating 10 chances and one assist. Bradley Johnson has completed 327 passes this season with a pass accuracy of 70%, of which 98% were forward passes.
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/players/bradley-johnson/stats

Craig Bryson, in the English Football League - Championship, has scored no goals this season, creating 10 chances and no assists. Craig Bryson has completed 415 passes this season with a pass accuracy of 82%, of which 70% were forward passes.
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/players/craig-bryson-bryson/stats

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Butterfield isn't a weak link stop talking nonsense Ninos. 

Butterfield is not the weak link at all. Sure he could work on his stamina and off the ball work but every player in our team can improve. @Dale The Ram described him as the championship Cazorla which is a great comparison. Butterfield is fundamental to the team and makes the midfield tick and is the only one in our team who regularly attempts to shoot outside the box with their weaker foot. A midfield of Johnson, Hughes and Bryson would get horribly overrun as we saw last year in the play off first leg. McClaren's style requires at least 2 of the players in centre midfield to be technically good. If we only played Hughes in there to be the technical inspiration the flow of the team would completely collapse because teams would know they could just man mark Hughes , as Johnson and Bryson aren't renound for their technical abilities.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Taken from Sqwaka, stats for all our centre mids this season.

So the stats suggest Will and Butters are very similar in terms of creation, Butters edges it slightly on passing and neither have scored. 

I bet Ninos still disagrees. Butterfield's the weak link. Bryson's better. Butterfield only passes backwards, yawn yawn yawn.... 

We are blessed with some quality midfielders, support them all.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

So the stats suggest Will and Butters are very similar in terms of creation, Butters edges it slightly on passing and neither have scored. 

I bet Ninos still disagrees. Butterfield's the weak link. Bryson's better. Butterfield only passes backwards, yawn yawn yawn.... 

We are blessed with some quality midfielders, support them all.

For once, some stats that I didn't hate.

I have always maintained that there is nothing Hughes can do, that Butterfield cannot.

Not sure why thread exists. Should be no debate over Will Hughes. Clearly he is not world class or the best midfielder in the league.... yet. I think he definitely has the potential to be world class.  Lots of players have this potential at his age. Some go on to become world class, others go on to be very good, others go on to be decent and others probably just plod on and never achieve what they could have. 

Irrespective of all this, surely everybody can see the talent and quality he has and enjoy the fact that he is playing for us. Why people need to take pleasure in arguing he isn't that good, or will never be that good, or is completely overrated is beyond me.  For starters, if people want to go a little over the top in their appreciation and expectation of him, then so what and why not? Football is supposed to be fun! We all know we tend to go a bit daft over academy products ("one of our own" 'n all that guff) - see the current lauding of Max Lowe as the best left back in England.  It's a bit silly, but who cares? Why do we have to be so joyless? He won't be here forever, so we might as well enjoy it while we can.  

I guess there is so much analysis of every misplaced pass or unsuccessful dribble Will makes exactly because he is so good and expectations so high.  Even so, it is ridiculous to argue that he isn't that good because he lost the ball in the build up to the goal against Norwich. What player has never made the wrong decision? 

He can improve and he will improve and I hope he gets 100 caps for England and wins a world cup and if he does, then I will take great pleasure in having seen him play for us in his formative years... and if he doesn't, then I guess I'll look at him a bit like I look at Tom Huddleston and many others before him and think, 'what might have been'... but I certainly won't be wishing that on him or gloating if he doesn't quite make it.

Couldn't be bothered to edit the above, but this is a comment I made on the other Will thread, but most of it applies to this one too (particularly in terms of the duplicated debate on Will's quality).

I find any criticism of the lad strange... and, for some reason, I'm capable of liking Will, George, Craig, Jacob and Bradley. Amazing isn't it! You can think one player is good, without automatically having to deride all others! 

Archived