Chris Baird 16/17

Nuwtfly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baird is a solid and calm defender. I am glad to see him getting forward more and holding a higher line than he has playing for us previously. He doesn't need to overlap. Just offer another alternative to receive a pass from Ince of the midfielders when we are attacking. Ince also seems to play better knowing where the RB is. 

I always judge the merit of defenders by how secure they make me feel watching the team. Baird isn't a flamboyant full back but he's reassuringly solid and experienced & gives Ince more freedom to stay in areas where he can cause damage. Clearly when Christie's playing, Ince needs to think more like an auxiliary full back.

Thought Baird was superb yesterday. That first half flick over the defender's head & perfectly weighted through ball to Bent was first class in particular. He's not had a great time at Derby so far - hope this stint in the team is the turnaround for him.

Just a quick shout out for Chris Baird, as I seem to enjoy saying unpopular things on here ... 

Thought he played quite superbly on Saturday. Steady Eddie, a class act. A job well done, glad to see him grabbing the chance with both hands.

His experience, as an asset to us as a squad player, cannot be underestimated.

2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Have to say that he played very well on saturday. 

Has definitely stepped up since having to come in for Christie.

Not sure how long he could last though, still think we should invest in January in another RB.

Oh I totally agree that he isn't the answer long term.

Ultimately, our style is based more around a pacy guy who can overlap ...

I'm just pleased for Bairdy, he became some kind of a fall guy and I felt it unfair... glad to see him showing his nous and experience to full effect. Norwich are a good side, and he dealt with the threat to his flank manfully, and with class.

Has done brilliantly when called upon this season.

There is nothing wrong, with good old fashioned full backs, and just plain good defending. By the way, that flick over their guys head, followed by the volleyed through ball to Incey, was a bit of a worldy, no?

I agree,, Baird has been very good in the last 3 games he has started at right back, it's no coincidence, that this is his preferred position, he was always going to struggle, playing in midfield, now Mac has put him in his preferred position he is showing what he can do, very rarely out of position, adds good height, experience, and keeps it simple, football is not rocket science, play players were they are comfortable, and you get the best out of them.

I don't think we have ever doubted his defensive qualities. After all he still plays internationally and played a lot of games in the premiership. 

I think a lot of Derby fans did not like the backwards passing or the fact he didn't bomb down the wing so to speak. Least McLaren has the right idea and use Lowe for attacking intent. Was the same with Wisdom when McLaren was last here.

Archived