Chris Baird 16/17

Nuwtfly

Has gotten a lot of stick during his time here, some deserved, some perhaps not so, but I thought he was excellent at the weekend. Should everyone dish him a clean slate now that he's playing under a new manager? Could (finally) end up being a useful utility player for us. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's never been bad. He plays a little bit within himself just down to a lack of pace but other than that he's fine.

Some of the criticism he gets is as with a lot of our players, what actually happens on the pitch doesn't necessarily have much of a correlation with a fan's opinion.

I thought he had a good game and was defensively very solid. His confidence in going forward grew visibly as the game progressed, perhaps helped by a comfortable lead. I'm wondering whether Steve Mac's decision to pick Baird in preference to Anya or Hanson had more than half an eye on the Norwich game, where their comparative defensive strengths are likely to be the key factor.

Full credit to Chris Baird for grasping his opportunity with both hands.

1 hour ago, OohMartWright said:

I thought he had a good game and was defensively very solid. His confidence in going forward grew visibly as the game progressed, perhaps helped by a comfortable lead. I'm wondering whether Steve Mac's decision to pick Baird in preference to Anya or Hanson had more than half an eye on the Norwich game, where their comparative defensive strengths are likely to be the key factor.

Well said!

3 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Brady is Norwich's full back, top player at this level, will surely be bombing forward with there wide left of the day (Naismith on Sat), I would play Baird against Norwich 100%

Let's not get carried away here. He's a seasoned international pro who had a perfectly reasonable game against the Championship's bottom team.

He's hardly grasped the opportunity with both hands, he just got picked and did fine in one match against a pretty useless opposition. That's about it.

This came up in another thread. He's neither donkey or very useful. He's really basic. He won't surprise you with any great defending or attacking. I hate the phrase "bang average" but it actually fits well here.

There was never any need to get on his case.

I have no idea how he got in team of the week. The best RB of the weekend?? Then it must have been a weekend of shockers or the results of WhoScored doing ratings based on stats. He was steady. No RB was more than steady? 

48 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Let's not get carried away here. He's a seasoned international pro who had a perfectly reasonable game against the Championship's bottom team.

He's hardly grasped the opportunity with both hands, he just got picked and did fine in one match against a pretty useless opposition. That's about it.

In his first start for ages he had a good game and found himself in the Championship team of the week. I'd say he grasped his opportunity. I'm certainly not getting carried away, I said he had a good game, and it isn't his fault (or mine!) that the opposition was the bottom side in the division. Norwich will obviously provide a sterner test.

2 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

In his first start for ages he had a good game and found himself in the Championship team of the week. I'd say he grasped his opportunity. I'm certainly not getting carried away, I said he had a good game, and it isn't his fault (or mine!) that the opposition was the bottom side in the division. Norwich will obviously provide a sterner test.

Indeed. At the moment he's the only real right back we have. Anya can play in a right wing back role with three centre halves but I wouldn't want to see him there in a back four against a strong side simply because of his height. Hanson as we saw against wolves doesn't look comfortable.

If he can keep his place when Christie is fit or we bring another RB in, then fair dos, that's taking your opportunity. Til then I'm happy for him to be in the side anyway as I quite like him.

Hand up I wanted Anya in there on Saturday .. Nothing to do with Chris Baird but simply because I am a gung Ho up and at em sort of person and think Anya is a cracking little player. This strategy doesn't always work though.

i thought Steve called it just right ... We didn't need an extra attacking threat we were dominant all over the pitch . Max was great on the other side, Ince felt secure with Baird behind him. 

There was a moment midway through the second half where Baird dispossessed someone, turn himself inside out and played a beautifully weighted ball to I can't remember who and we started attacking again. Baird wasn't doing the attacking but he did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do with a comendible level of composure and skill. 

He might not be the answer against every team but he had a flipping good game on Saturday. 

Bottom line it isn't about an individual's skill set .. It's about which skill set works against which opposition .. That is why managers are so important. Who, when and who with 

I feel for Baird, comes in for a lot of unfair stick, had a decent game on Saturday yet some still find it hard to give the guy credit, "it was only Rotherham", I had a thing with PodgeyRam on Twitter today on this as well. Apparently he needs to do it against the top 6. Rubbish.

36 points on offer all season against the top 6, 102 points against the rest of the league. Now I'll stop myself here kinda as obviously the top 6 will change throughout the season but you see my point right, you could go up without beating any of the top 6 all season, no double points on offer. It's also super super disrespectful given that anyone can beat anyone in this league, we're both Championship teams on merit and it's this "it's only..." mentality that catches players out in this league.

Yes Rotherham may not have offered much going forward which is why it's more important for defenders to remain focused and concentrate, this only Rotherham managed to pull it back to 3-3 twice in recent years. 

He's not our first choice Right Back by a million miles, everyone knows this, he's not going to offer us any attacking threat going forward and he will be the first to tell you his legs are not what they used to be and he has a really unfashionable name just like John Eustace had.

He will make mistakes like every other player on the pitch, just like Christie who unfortunately is injured which is why he's playing. We don't have many other options, Anya was carrying a knock already going into the international break, went off against England, maybe he's not quite ready for 90 minutes. Hanson, not his position either and with the inexperienced Lowe on the left maybe McClaren felt a little experience was needed on the other side, who knows, either way the selection didn't cost us the win, nor did Bent starting v Wolves, you would think people would learn but no, I expect the same moans and groans on Saturday as the team is announced, sad really that we can't just get behind the guy.

Archived