Chris Baird 16/17

Nuwtfly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never understood the hyberbolic criticism. Just silly.

Would be concerned if he was first-choice but he's clearly not. He's steady. That's what you want from squad utility players and he's a good enough stop-gap while we wait for January or for Christie to return.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

I actually gave up listening to podcasts , due to the ridiculous over the top slagging of Chris Baird . Fine to have an opinion , and fine to voice it. Unessesary to just keep repeating it over and over again . 

Half fan

30 minutes ago, David said:

I feel for Baird, comes in for a lot of unfair stick, had a decent game on Saturday yet some still find it hard to give the guy credit, "it was only Rotherham", I had a thing with PodgeyRam on Twitter today on this as well. Apparently he needs to do it against the top 6. Rubbish.

36 points on offer all season against the top 6, 102 points against the rest of the league. Now I'll stop myself here kinda as obviously the top 6 will change throughout the season but you see my point right, you could go up without beating any of the top 6 all season, no double points on offer. It's also super super disrespectful given that anyone can beat anyone in this league, we're both Championship teams on merit and it's this "it's only..." mentality that catches players out in this league.

Yes Rotherham may not have offered much going forward which is why it's more important for defenders to remain focused and concentrate, this only Rotherham managed to pull it back to 3-3 twice in recent years. 

He's not our first choice Right Back by a million miles, everyone knows this, he's not going to offer us any attacking threat going forward and he will be the first to tell you his legs are not what they used to be and he has a really unfashionable name just like John Eustace had.

He will make mistakes like every other player on the pitch, just like Christie who unfortunately is injured which is why he's playing. We don't have many other options, Anya was carrying a knock already going into the international break, went off against England, maybe he's not quite ready for 90 minutes. Hanson, not his position either and with the inexperienced Lowe on the left maybe McClaren felt a little experience was needed on the other side, who knows, either way the selection didn't cost us the win, nor did Bent starting v Wolves, you would think people would learn but no, I expect the same moans and groans on Saturday as the team is announced, sad really that we can't just get behind the guy.

I'm not averse to giving him credit; he did his job very well on Saturday. What I am saying - and twitter isn't exactly the best place to say it given the character limit - is that you want your first choice players to be able to do it against both those teams that are lower in the league (your Rotherhams) and those wh are higher (your Norwiches). Obviously he isn't a first choice player given he's only in the team because Cyrus is injured.

I do have doubts about him against those teams higher up in the league. Rotherham's wingers were poor (an as a team they were poor) and we barely allowed them any time on the ball. He did what he had to do and did it well.

Norwich's wingers - Brady and Murphy are a completely different beast. Yeah anyone can beat anyone in this league, but some teams are simply better than others and as a result some are easier to overcome.

I hope Baird plays well on Saturday and proves me wrong but still havve doubts over his ability to cope against the better teams in this league. I saw plenty of him last year to suggest that he is past it. Who knows, maybe he just needed McClaren coaching him all this time. He's my first choice on account that he's the only player we have whose natural position is anywhere near right back.

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

sadly, Derby 'fans' need a scapegoat. We all have one.

if I ever have a scapegoat (which maybe i do) its rarely the one guy everyone else is hating on.

Which is why ive never really hated baird. Infact even the incident when some fans turned on him... i still think Baird was in the right.

2 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I'm not averse to giving him credit; he did his job very well on Saturday. What I am saying - and twitter isn't exactly the best place to say it given the character limit - is that you want your first choice players to be able to do it against both those teams that are lower in the league (your Rotherhams) and those wh are higher (your Norwiches). Obviously he isn't a first choice player given he's only in the team because Cyrus is injured.

I do have doubts about him against those teams higher up in the league. Rotherham's wingers were poor (an as a team they were poor) and we barely allowed them any time on the ball. He did what he had to do and did it well.

Norwich's wingers - Brady and Murphy are a completely different beast. Yeah anyone can beat anyone in this league, but some teams are simply better than others and as a result some are easier to overcome.

I hope Baird plays well on Saturday and proves me wrong but still havve doubts over his ability to cope against the better teams in this league. I saw plenty of him last year to suggest that he is past it. Who knows, maybe he just needed McClaren coaching him all this time. He's my first choice on account that he's the only player we have whose natural position is anywhere near right back.

Has he let Knockaert out of his pocket from the first game of the season yet?

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Has he let Knockaert out of his pocket from the first game of the season yet?

He won't have Johnson doubling up on his winger from now on. He was given a lot of protection in that match which he won't receive now that he has Ince in front of him.

One swallow n all that. Typical Derby fans is that a barely mediocre player has one good fill in game and he's an overnight Roberto Carlos. Hes a bang average player at best full stop. I'd still prefer to see someone else there - dude makes me nervous when he has the ball and he had a couple strange moments in the first half. He also had some good ones for sure but Rotherham made all our players look like superstars. 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

One swallow n all that. Typical Derby fans is that a barely mediocre player has one good fill in game and he's an overnight Roberto Carlos. Hes a bang average player at best full stop. I'd still prefer to see someone else there - dude makes me nervous when he has the ball and he had a couple strange moments in the first half. He also had some good ones for sure but Rotherham made all our players look like superstars. 

1 good game in over 350 (including nearly 80 at international level) the guy must be a pretty good fraud.

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

I don't think one person has even come close to suggesting he's any kind of Roberto Carlos, typical Derby fan that can't credit a unpopular/unfashionable player for having a decent game more like.

14 hours ago, David said:

I feel for Baird, comes in for a lot of unfair stick, had a decent game on Saturday yet some still find it hard to give the guy credit, "it was only Rotherham", I had a thing with PodgeyRam on Twitter today on this as well. Apparently he needs to do it against the top 6. Rubbish.

36 points on offer all season against the top 6, 102 points against the rest of the league. Now I'll stop myself here kinda as obviously the top 6 will change throughout the season but you see my point right, you could go up without beating any of the top 6 all season, no double points on offer. It's also super super disrespectful given that anyone can beat anyone in this league, we're both Championship teams on merit and it's this "it's only..." mentality that catches players out in this league.

Yes Rotherham may not have offered much going forward which is why it's more important for defenders to remain focused and concentrate, this only Rotherham managed to pull it back to 3-3 twice in recent years. 

He's not our first choice Right Back by a million miles, everyone knows this, he's not going to offer us any attacking threat going forward and he will be the first to tell you his legs are not what they used to be and he has a really unfashionable name just like John Eustace had.

He will make mistakes like every other player on the pitch, just like Christie who unfortunately is injured which is why he's playing. We don't have many other options, Anya was carrying a knock already going into the international break, went off against England, maybe he's not quite ready for 90 minutes. Hanson, not his position either and with the inexperienced Lowe on the left maybe McClaren felt a little experience was needed on the other side, who knows, either way the selection didn't cost us the win, nor did Bent starting v Wolves, you would think people would learn but no, I expect the same moans and groans on Saturday as the team is announced, sad really that we can't just get behind the guy.

I agree with all of that and as I said in another comment I'm perfectly happy to see him in the team at the moment. 

If the above was in part reference to one of my comments, then the context was not that "it was only Rotherham", but I was responding to a claim he had had an amazing game like he was some kind of 10 year old thrown into the 1st team. He's a seasoned international pro with nearly 80 caps. He should have more than enough in his locker to handle a poor team like Rotherham brought on Saturday. He did what he was expected to do and did it fine. So well done to him, the point I was trying to make was that undue praise after that kind of game, which Derby dominated from the 20th minute onwards, was a tad over the top.

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

That is just daft, quite clearly Roberto Carlos played left back and Baird was right back, it was more akin to Cafu really :sleep:

Archived