Derby vs Norwich - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

What a load of pollocks!

You are on yer Perch mate, up there in the Roaches; there is a Ray of hope Halibut beware lest you Flounder in yer high Plaice. Yer Dace at the top are numbered, mate. I could put this to music to the Tuna "There's only one Ramarena".:o 

What a satisfying win that was today.

All the talk before the game was that we needed to beat a 'good' team to put a marker down and we certainly did that this afternoon. 

I saw a team out there that I am proud to support, a team willing to play with their hearts and their heads. Norwich came at us strongly at the beginning of the game and got in our faces, allowing us no time in possession. Their pressure forced us to give the ball away cheaply at times. Just the tactics that we have failed to deal with in previous years but we kept in there, kept challenging and winning the ball back and always looked dangerous going forward.

I was disappointed with the refereeing in the first half. Mulumbu committed 6 strong fouls in that period and didn't get booked. As Hughes was on the receiving end of most of them, it would have made a big difference to his play if the number 18 had been forced to curb himself in. We 'lost' the fouls committed tally over the game 5 -16 , yet ended up 2-2 on bookings. Strange that.

Apart from their physicality Norwich didn't make the most of their possession and I thought we shepherded them well to avoid allowing them too many chances with both Baird and Lowe giving strong performances.

Norwich were always going to struggle to maintain that pressing for the whole match and in the second half the game opened up. 

One early smart save from Carson was the turning point. Belief set in, and we started to create the better chances. We had several near misses and I felt if the goal was coming, it was coming our way.

When Hughes drove through the centre we were screaming for him to thread the ball through to Bent. His hesitation and the closing down of the Norwich defenders combined to suggest that the chance had come and gone, but that clever little flick back straight into Johnson's path created the fine winner. 

Poetic justice, man sold comes back to haunt former manager with a match-winning performance. It usually happens against us, but this time we were the beneficiaries. Felt good! 

I was expecting an onslaught from Norwich in the final minutes but it never really materialised - the defence stepped up and played with a calm assurance that had been missing in the earlier part of the season. As Baird tired a couple of crosses came in but Pearce and Lowe dealt with them like the seasoned pros that only one of them is. 

I don't want to mark players down for trying things that didn't quite come off today because I  applaud them for attemptng the turn, the shot, the cross-field pass. It's a pleasure to watch us playing our football and managing the game so well. So I will just mark them all ten for effort.

Bring on Wigan! 

41 minutes ago, Rampage said:

You are on yer Perch mate, up there in the Roaches; there is a Ray of hope Halibut beware lest you Flounder in yer high Plaice. Yer Dace at the top are numbered, mate. I could put this to music to the Tuna "There's only one Ramarena".:o 

You still carping on?

I've haddock enough of this! I'll get Hughesy in, eel drown your kittens and sort you trout. 

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

You certainly were watching a different game to me good sir. Ince lost the ball on a number of occasions and when him and Bent were 1 on 1 with ruddy Ince hesitated which allowed ruddy to run out and clear it. That's enough criticism from me  on him today. Let's praise the bird :ph34r:

Certainly is mate.....

Intriguing game between two very evenly matched sides. Cancelled each other out to a large degree. Norwich possibly edged first half but we bossed the second and were well worthy of the win.

All the back four were excellent, extremely impressed with Baird, amazing what players can do when played in their correct positions. Lowe gets better every game. As for midfield Johnson had a poor first half but stronger second and a great goal. He's doing ok in an unnatural position. Will was as poor as I think I've ever seen him play but apparently he's been ill this week. He'll be back to his best next game. Butterfield deserves a lot of credit, I've been a critic but he was excellent today building on last week. As for the front 3, didn't happen for Ince today but at least he was involved in the game, thought Russell did well second half and bent worked tirelessly.

Decent performance against a good side. We looked really solid and carry a goal threat. We are definitely promotion contenders again now. Can see the winning run continuing against Wigan then bring on the Red Dogs!!

1 hour ago, JarodyDCFC said:

Apart from the result, I think the way we defended today was the most positive part of our performance. Baird was mugged off the MOTM today- he was excellent. Russell and Hughes had poor games however. Maybe if they had been on form we may have had a more comfortable victory. The game vs Wigan is to be played on my birthday so hopefully we get a win.

Is it poor or are they just 'fine' performances though? I do get your point but sometimes as fans for whatever reason there can never be an in between from outstanding or poor. Don't get me wrong neither were great, but thought they were ok. What's nice about Russell atm is he is putting consistent performances in for the team just doing his job on the wing. By doing that, it's also helping out Ince to have a bit more of a free role so getting the best out of him too

17 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

All the back four were excellent, extremely impressed with Baird, amazing what players can do when played in their correct positions. Lowe gets better every game. As for midfield Johnson had a poor first half but stronger second and a great goal. He's doing ok in an unnatural position. Will was as poor as I think I've ever seen him play but apparently he's been ill this week. He'll be back to his best next game. Butterfield deserves a lot of credit, I've been a critic but he was excellent today building on last week. As for the front 3, didn't happen for Ince today but at least he was involved in the game, thought Russell did well second half and bent worked tirelessly.

Decent performance against a good side. We looked really solid and carry a goal threat. We are definitely promotion contenders again now. Can see the winning run continuing against Wigan then bring on the Red Dogs!!

I though norwich dominated possession in the first half but didn't have a shot on target... In fact the only 2 shots they had on target all game came from a Butterfield back pass and a free kick... So so much for all their possession and good passing in midfield , it didn't create anything.

we offered a more direct threat,bent was excellent and ince very good. Good to see a midfield player score , hopefully the first of many this season. 

7 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

So I say that Derby are one of the top 3 or 4 sides in this division on paper, and that I expect you to beat us, call my own team a shambles, big up several of your players (by name), and I've still got some oversensitive little snowflake picking holes and crying about a perceived lack of respect? Bore off mate. 

No need to be offensive "mate". Despite all your self criticism you still said you had the talent to tear us apart which is all I was picking you up on. I got the impression that you were implying that, if only the players could be bothered to play for their manager then it would be rams to the slaughter. I shan't tell you to bore off to your own site as I actually quite like Norwich and assume you simply missed the touch of arrogence in your original post. 

IMO Johnson has been key.  He's allowed our attackers to try and create and has been excellent defensively.  It's no coincidence that we look more solid at the back.

i really like the look of Lowe.  He seems to be so unflustered for such a young player.  Of course he will go through a rough patch but at the moment he seems like he's been there forever. 

Im trying to work out who he reminds me of.  Well it's not Steve Buckley...  

24 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

IMO Johnson has been key.  He's allowed our attackers to try and create and has been excellent defensively.  It's no coincidence that we look more solid at the back.

i really like the look of Lowe.  He seems to be so unflustered for such a young player.  Of course he will go through a rough patch but at the moment he seems like he's been there forever. 

Im trying to work out who he reminds me of.  Well it's not Steve Buckley...  

Johnson has been outstanding recently. Allows others to play. And then wins us a game with a bullet against the side who got shut. Beautiful.

Great resilient performance. Not at the races for the first 20 / 30 mins Norwich worked us hard, pressed and moved the ball quickly but back four remained solid even if we surrendered midfield somewhat. Hughesy not at his best, Johnno a bit off the pace to begin with. Improved as the half continued but happy to go in level at half time. Norwich didn't really threaten but they had the edge.

tightened it up in the second half. Johnson getting stronger and more forceful, Butterfield doing what he does well .. You don't notice becaus he isn't flashy but he is very influential.

Baird had a storming game and Lowe goes from strength to strength, plays elegant thoughtful passes even under pressure , rarely looked hurried. He is class. Keogh/Pearce .. Granite, top drawer

Ince always lively and our spark but not everything came off. But he is so great to watch with the ball. 

Johnny .. Bit flat footed off his game at times, touch isn't getting any better but he is Johnny so what can you say ? ..Needs a break in my opinion 

Bent .. Most improved player of the season .. Lead the line with power, intelligence and a sublime touch at times. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Norwich are a physically imposing side and they bullied us a bit in the first half, especially Mulumbu who dominated midfield and was lucky not to get booked.

I felt sorry for Bent in the first half because his striking partners seemed reluctant to support him. Ince didn't get started for 30 minutes and his touch was poor but in the second half he was a revelation, driving forward and back to help the team. 

Agree that Russell and Hughes were disappointing but that happens.

Defence was excellent - agree that Baird showed experience and desire.

We gradually realised that their defence was basically 4 centre backs and that shen put under pressure, they faltered.

Nice goal from Johnson after poor play from Will.

Thought it looked a penalty near the end but overall I think we deserved the points.

Not long arrived back in Bristol and now awaiting a celebratory. Chinese takeaway!

See you were quoted in the national press today

6 minutes ago, jono said:

Great resilient performance. Not at the races for the first 20 / 30 mins Norwich worked us hard, pressed and moved the ball quickly but back four remained solid even if we surrendered midfield somewhat. Hughesy not at his best, Johnno a bit off the pace to begin with. Improved as the half continued but happy to go in level at half time. Norwich didn't really threaten but they had the edge.

tightened it up in the second half. Johnson getting stronger and more forceful, Butterfield doing what he does well .. You don't notice becaus he isn't flashy but he is very influential.

Baird had a storming game and Lowe goes from strength to strength, plays elegant thoughtful passes even under pressure , rarely looked hurried. He is class. Keogh/Pearce .. Granite, top drawer

Ince always lively and our spark but not everything came off. But he is so great to watch with the ball. 

Johnny .. Bit flat footed off his game at times, touch isn't getting any better but he is Johnny so what can you say ? ..Needs a break in my opinion 

Bent .. Most improved player of the season .. Lead the line with power, intelligence and a sublime touch at times. 

I thought Pearce was MOM. Rock solid. Midfield was poor first half but woke up after the break. Bent looks 10 years younger all of a sudden. 

The Mac effect.

Archived