Huddersfield Town v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

Couldnt agee more.

Whilst I was a fan of Martin, watching other football teams who are succesful show you that a Martin type CF isnt a necessity. A Team who can play effictively without one, is however.

We simply dont have the midfield work rate we need with a midfield 2 of Butterfield and Hughes.

If we do bring Martin back, it stinks of us being even more of a one trick pony than I thought we were. It already stinks we couldnt adapt to a 4-4-2 or any other formation other than a 4-3-3. It will stink even more if we need Chris Martin back in order to make the rest of our midfield/forward players to look like they have any quality at all.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

A once proven goal scorer... Greaves anyone... He WAS a proven goal scorer. We have all seen what Martin brings to a struggling team.. What do you think he will do? Please enlighten me?. What magic alixia would you use to make him a different Chris Martin from the one we had and the one currently struggling at Fulham?

The team wouldn't be struggling with Martin up front - we've seen what he does and its what we need. But Pearson thought we could do without him...not.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

And what exactly would Chris Martin bring to the party apart from moaning and sulking for 90 mins.. He is not the player for a dog fight, he has showed nowt for a long time now.. What exactly would he bring to this team at this time? Don't say goals please.. Or is this another time warp, fingers crossed , it will all be like it was before waste of a post?

The chief argument has been that we as a team are not creating enough. Vydra is a fine player I'm sure, but he simply doesn't contribute to team play as much as Martin.

He would bring link up play, allowing our creative midfield players and wide forwards to do what they are best at - get in and around the box. The likes of Hughes, Bryson and Butterfield would be able to play those short passes and move on, safe in the knowledge that the ball was either going to a teammate or at the very least not just coming back at the oppositions feet. This helps not just Martin get into better goalscoring positions, but the rest of the team as well.

He would be a great help defensively from set pieces - even though we are pretty solid defensivey this season.

I know I keep saying it, and others have said it too, but why oh why did Pearson not give Martin and Vydra a chance togther.

Todays game sounded very much like what a lot of Derby games without Martin were like under McClaren, 100 mph with both teams losing the ball often.

1 minute ago, jagerbob said:

Couldnt agee more.

Whilst I was a fan of Martin, watching other football teams who are succesful show you that a Martin type CF isnt a necessity. A Team who can play effictively without one, is however.

We simply dont have the midfield work rate we need with a midfield 2 of Butterfield and Hughes.

If we do bring Martin back, it stinks of us being even more of a one trick pony than I thought we were. It already stinks we couldnt adapt to a 4-4-2 or any other formation other than a 4-3-3. It will stink even more if we need Chris Martin back in order to make the rest of our midfield/forward players to look like they have any quality at all.

Why adapt when one system clearly works? All we needed was better players in a few key areas, not a new style of football or different shape which doesn't suit the current players. 

If people can't see what Martin offers to a possession-based side as a long forward in a 433 system, then they should stop watching football and just take up another sport.

2 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Couldnt agee more.

Whilst I was a fan of Martin, watching other football teams who are succesful show you that a Martin type CF isnt a necessity.

I believe that Martin can play more than one way. It really is pathetic the hatred he gets. He most likely won't want to come back and who could blame him.

2 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I look at them as cowards and *******. My only hope is SM has a full control contract so he can bomb them out without the special one calling Mel. 

Different from 'that' season, we could all admit they were poor. These players have ability, and require the cuddly approach, I wanted Pearson to rip this **** up, and start again, but men backs down to the cuddly, friendly, matey approach which eventually will lack leadership. I'm concerned

1 minute ago, jagerbob said:

Couldnt agee more.

Agree. Pinning our hopes for the rest of the season on whether we bring Martin back or not is seriously crackers.

That said though, all our attackers are nifty types and they're all the same really if you take out Bent. It's clear we need an alternative type of player up there but not sure Martin would be that player anymore.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

The team wouldn't be struggling with Martin up front - we've seen what he does and its what we need. But Pearson thought we could do without him...not.

Ffs... Selective memory there.. We obviously never struggled with Martin then before.

Anyway, answer the question that I put. Construct an arguement and I will listen. 

Just now, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Agree. Pinning our hopes for the rest of the season on whether we bring Martin back or not is seriously crackers.

That said though, all our attackers are nifty types and they're all the same really if you take out Bent. It's clear we need an alternative type of player up there but not sure Martin would be that player anymore.

All the same apart from Bent? That's because Bent isn't an attacker anymore, he's some random bloke who got lucky and gets to wear the shirt for 20 minutes each match.

The team is broken. Pearson and Clement have broken it. The squad is a mess. It wasn't built to withstand pressure, it was built to dominate the game. It can't do that anymore because of our amateur transfer dealings in the last three windows. Under Clough, McClaren and Wassall we always looked like conceding when on the back foot. 

The squad just isn't suited to any particular style. McClaren literally has to build the team again. Blaming the players is pointless - it's nothing to do with them not caring or being cowards, we are fundamentally broken. 

We don't need Martin back imo, he's days here are over, but what we did need is a proper replacement in the similar mound as him, I said it on deadline day that our business that day was awful and so it turned out to be. However it remains pathetic that the rest of the team can't adapt and this season so far has been an embarrassment to the fans, and the players should hang their heads in shame

Dire from 1st minute to last still not getting the ball forward quick enough, Ince, Russell, christie dreadful, Russell looked f##ed after 30 mins, when is Ince going to get going he's done nothing for a year half the team can't pass the ball ten yards to a teammate, pearce, keogh and Carson stopped us from getting hammered simply not good enough against a average Huddersfield team.Time to give the youngsters a chance at least they might put in more effort, still a few stand there applauding them at the end, I'm not for booing them off but applauding after that s##t.

It's the midfield .. It was always the midfield. We can blame Shacks for getting the ball out too slowly but that has been improved on. Or Bent for being slow and off side, but the truth is the mids aren't wining the battles, they aren't playing enough forward balls and not running in to danger areas themselves. ... All our forward players can score at this level, proved time and again. but without ammunition and logistical support .. No chance 

Thinking back to the home games I have watched this season (and a few before) when did we last boss midfield ? Win tackles, win second ball, play in the striker join an attack in an advanced position ? Answer = nothing like enough. 

Dire from 1st minute to last still not getting the ball forward quick enough, Ince, Russell, christie dreadful, Russell looked f##ed after 30 mins, when is Ince going to get going he's done nothing for a year half the team can't pass the ball ten yards to a teammate, pearce, keogh and Carson stopped us from getting hammered simply not good enough against a average Huddersfield team.Time to give the youngsters a chance at least they might put in more effort, still a few stand there applauding them at the end, I'm not for booing them off but applauding after that s##t.

When Pearson was in charge i found myself wanting Mac back. Now Mac is back I want Pearson back. Nothing Pearson could have said to the players could be strong enough... They are overpaid losers and wasters and we need to get rid of them. Sounds like Huddersfield dominated us today.. I Was depressed by the bore draw on Tuesday now I'm officially in wrist slashing mode. 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

The team is broken. Pearson and Clement have broken it. The squad is a mess. It wasn't built to withstand pressure, it was built to dominate the game. It can't do that anymore because of our amateur transfer dealings in the last three windows. Under Clough, McClaren and Wassall we always looked like conceding when on the back foot. 

The squad just isn't suited to any particular style. McClaren literally has to build the team again. Blaming the players is pointless - it's nothing to do with them not caring or being cowards, we are fundamentally broken. 

I have to say that is the conclusion that I am slowly reaching.all of the various permutations of players - midfield and attacking trios, or duos. Combinations of right and left side.

Nothing appears to be developing successfully.

In another thread a number of us said that the result was not necessarily important today and we might expect a defeat.  However,  I was hoping to see a few further green shoots but it seems progress has stalled.

Further,  we don't have either any fitness or cohesive spirit it seems,  for mac to be able to concentrate on coaching skills and patterns of play.

It's almost as though we need to start pre season all over again.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

When Pearson was in charge i found myself wanting Mac back. Now Mac is back I want Pearson back. Nothing Pearson could have said to the players could be strong enough... They are overpaid losers and wasters and we need to get rid of them. Sounds like Huddersfield dominated us today.. I Was depressed by the bore draw on Tuesday now I'm officially in wrist slashing mode. 

Jesus. They're third in the league mate. 

10 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

All the same apart from Bent? That's because Bent isn't an attacker anymore, he's some random bloke who got lucky and gets to wear the shirt for 20 minutes each match.

Agree but meant that Bent is more of a hold up, ball to feet or I don't want to know, bigger, better header of the ball type player and slightly different to the others we have. Yes, he's nowhere near good enough now for a club the size of Derby (without wanting to sound all BBB) but its true IMO. Poor option to have on the bench.

Queuing in heavy traffic with an equally heavy heart.

There was a lot of endeavour out there today but little end product. Johnson put a shift in, broke up play and started off most attacks. Hughes poor today and maybe his suspension is a blessing in disguise. He just doesn't look fit to me. Butterfield was disappointing again st his former club - he is so sendentary but when someone gives him the ball he is creative with it - go and get the ball for goodness sake!

I disagree with those who thought Ince was rubbish - our most creative player today but very few on the same wavelength.

I'm fed up of hearing that Vydra runs a lot - he would get the ball a lot more if he ran into some useful positions. Russell got stuck in, won a lot of balls for us and we missed him when he went off. Anya - shocking and Mason Bennett would do better. 

Can anyone explain to me why Bent gets on the pitch ahead of Weimann?  The latter tore it up in the away leg at Hull and we haven't seen him since. 

I thought that overall the defence were competent today, apart from Christie who allowshis man in behind far too often. Although it was one of the  central defenders let the scorer in (not sure who from the other end) it was pretty inevitable they would score once Bent had lost possession again in added time.

I feel that it's going to be a long hard slog until January when hopefully McClaren will be able to undo some of the damage that Pearson did in the previous transfer window. 

If I was him , I would play some of the youngsters, they can't be any worse than Bent and Anya. 

A resigned and slightly weary Ram this evening. 

Archived