Martin or Vydra

DCFC4LIFE

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

We had our pants down again with Vydra. Not worth anywhere near the amount we paid.

I said this about Anya, but what has the price got to do with anything? He's either good or he isn't.

When you go for a steak in a nice restaurant, do you care about how much the restaurant paid for the ingredients?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I said this about Anya, but what has the price got to do with anything? He's either good or he isn't.

When you go for a steak in a nice restaurant, do you care about how much the restaurant paid for the ingredients?

I just don't think he's worth that amount, regardless of what system he is played in. Obviously it's not my money which has brought him here, but I just don't like seeing us pay such ridiculous sums.

Was only ten years ago Reading produced the 106 team by buying the likes of Kevin Doyle and Shane Long for a combined 80k, Dave Kitson cost them 200k, Sidwell was a freebie. Leroy Lita at 1m was dubbed a big-money signing back then.

English football has gone though in terms of finances. 8m is probabaly standard for a supposed decent Championship striker these days.

As for Vydra's ability, I just feel he will need to adapt. I personally can't see us having such success in the 433 system with a forward who likes to run in behind, especially as our midfielders don't push right up.

Maybe if we switched to 4231 and used Vydra how Southampton use Shane Long on his own it could work, but then we'd need two really mobile and reliable holding players. Could Thorne, Johnson and Hughes as an advanced AM work? I'm not sure. For me Johnson, Hughes and Butterfield isn't a mobile enough three to allow the centre-forward to play on the shoulder and not take up number 10 positions.

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I just don't think he's worth that amount, regardless of what system he is played in. Obviously it's not my money which has brought him here, but I just don't like seeing us pay such ridiculous sums.

Was only ten years ago Reading produced the 106 team by buying the likes of Kevin Doyle and Shane Long for a combined 80k, Dave Kitson cost them 200k, Sidwell was a freebie. Leroy Lita at 1m was dubbed a big-money signing back then.

English football has gone though in terms of finances. 8m is probabaly standard for a supposed decent Championship striker these days.

As for Vydra's ability, I just feel he will need to adapt. I personally can't see us having such success in the 433 system with a forward who likes to run in behind, especially as our midfielders don't push right up.

Maybe if we switched to 4231 and used Vydra how Southampton use Shane Long on his own it could work, but then we'd need two really mobile and reliable holding players. Could Thorne, Johnson and Hughes as an advanced AM work? I'm not sure. For me Johnson, Hughes and Butterfield isn't a mobile enough three to allow the centre-forward to play on the shoulder and not take up number 10 positions.

Answered your own question there I guess? 

Didn't Sheff Weds play 433 with Foriestieri as their centre forward last year? Not too dissimilar to Vydra. I'd like to think that if we pushed Johnson further forward and played somebody else in the defensive role her could hold the ball up pretty well and it'd allow us to have Vydra on the shoulder with Johnson occupying the space between the lines that Vydra would create. 

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Answered your own question there I guess? 

Didn't Sheff Weds play 433 with Foriestieri as their centre forward last year? Not too dissimilar to Vydra. I'd like to think that if we pushed Johnson further forward and played somebody else in the defensive role her could hold the ball up pretty well and it'd allow us to have Vydra on the shoulder with Johnson occupying the space between the lines that Vydra would create. 

They played Joao upfront, then Hooper as a lone centre-forward with Forestieri roaming around. I think they're very different players personally, as I see FF as a playmaker and Vydra as a striker.

From what I've seen of Vydra, he doesn't strike me as a creative player or a link-up striker. His main attributes are running into space behind, very much in the mould of Darren Bent.

Now, whether he can be coached into coming short I don't know. It is good to have the option of a player running in behind, but only if your midfielders are creative and hardworking enough to do more than one job.

IMO, Bradley Johnson isn't mobile enough or quick enough with the ball at his feet to play a forward or advanced role in a possession-based team. He's at his best in our system playing as a holding midfielder, but even there I have reservations over him. Good game against Leeds though.

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

They played Joao upfront, then Hooper as a lone centre-forward with Forestieri roaming around. I think they're very different players personally, as I see FF as a playmaker and Vydra as a striker.

From what I've seen of Vydra, he doesn't strike me as a creative player or a link-up striker. His main attributes are running into space behind, very much in the mould of Darren Bent.

Now, whether he can be coached into coming short I don't know. It is good to have the option of a player running in behind, but only if your midfielders are creative and hardworking enough to do more than one job.

IMO, Bradley Johnson isn't mobile enough or quick enough with the ball at his feet to play a forward or advanced role in a possession-based team. He's at his best in our system playing as a holding midfielder, but even there I have reservations over him. Good game against Leeds though.

Fair enough. I think he could, I think he's definitely got a lot more technical ability than Bent, faster than Bent and fresher than Bent. 

Knew this thread would be like this before I opened it, mostly reasoned arguements but some Chris Martin lovers who wouldn't except Lionel messi if he came to play upfront because he's " not a big hold up man". If vydra ain't worth 8 million in today's market then I'm blown. This is the same bloke that absolutely tore the championship to shreds twice in 3 years certainly not Darren bent mark 2.

People need to realise Martin is past his best at this level, there comes a point when his fitness levels catch up with him, especially at the pace of the championship with the number of games, and sadly his time is up- his goalscoring record in 2016 proves this. He was a great great player in a team built to him but it's time to move on.

Imo saying vydra can't play This system is absurd, yes he's better with a hold up man and I was apoplectic when we didn't sign a Martin replacement to go with him, but he's definately got the all round game to play the lone striker role with a little bit of work on how we play the ball to him- but it shouldn't be anything too different. Right now there's no arguement imo, Vydra is hugely better than Martin, especially now- there may have been an arguement a year or two ago but martins time is over, vydras best is still to come

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Both for me Vydra makes the runs and Martin would be able to find him I really do think they would be good together whatever the formation used 

Yes I think they could complement each other, but we may never know if that's  true. 

Archived