Martin or Vydra

DCFC4LIFE

I'm a huge Martin and and a huge Vydra fan. I prefer Vydra right now though as he is mobile, strong (despite popular belief) and is a great finisher. We need to adapt to him and with Vydra stretching the game he creates space in front of the back four for Hughes, buttefield amd ince to come inside. Obviously he doesn't do everything Martin can but he does hold onto it! If you watch the highlights for Hughes shot, he drops off nicely, waits for Hughes' run and then lays it off! Just like Chris would do. So give the lad a chance because he looks like such an exciting and potentially outstanding signing. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I'd like them both please. I'm 100% sure that the McClaren situation/back to the Derby Way/4-3-3/Martin being incredibly unpopular at FFC situation makes his January return a serious consideration

Depends on whether Mel wants to gamble (I'm assuming we have already accounted for the money we'd get from Fulham), what the circumstances of his departure were (did he want to go, or was he pushed?) - lots of things

But having striking options and two natural finishers (3 including Bent) on the books is always going to be better than having one less right? Bit of competition for the places as well

Incidentally - Martin wouldn't have been offside for that second goal :)

Possibly not but I doubt Martin would have made up the ground either

Its a difficult one really. Chris Martin has been loaned out as he hasn't been scoring goals for a long period. Obviously I hope Vydra does well, but I think he may fall into that category where we have paid a lot of money but still may not have bought a really top quality striker.  I have a sneaky feeling that James Wilson is potentially the best striker in our squad. Time will tell.

I'd like them both please. I'm 100% sure that the McClaren situation/back to the Derby Way/4-3-3/Martin being incredibly unpopular at FFC situation makes his January return a serious consideration

Depends on whether Mel wants to gamble (I'm assuming we have already accounted for the money we'd get from Fulham), what the circumstances of his departure were (did he want to go, or was he pushed?) - lots of things

But having striking options and two natural finishers (3 including Bent) on the books is always going to be better than having one less right? Bit of competition for the places as well

Felt for Vydra, made an excellent movement expecting Ince to cross it in first time, Ince took an extra touch and Vydra had already gone so was offside. Shame, it was a great move. 

Very impressed with his contribution so far, after a tough season at Reading last year, he's better than i expected him to be.

Yes, possibly correct as he would have been on the floor 3 yards further back.........:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I know it is not goalscoreing but Martin is very good defensively at set pieces and we do look wide open especially if our centre halfs lose their man like Keogh did before half time when his man should have scored instead of hitting the bar, Vydra and Martin for me

Martin was good defensively v set pieces but Vydra made an important clearance v Leeds. Martin was close to completely inept on our own set pieces. Verdict still out on vydra. 

11 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Felt for Vydra, made an excellent movement expecting Ince to cross it in first time, Ince took an extra touch and Vydra had already gone so was offside. Shame, it was a great move. 

Very impressed with his contribution so far, after a tough season at Reading last year, he's better than i expected him to be.

Spot on .

Cesi do toho! My chceme gol! My chceme gol! Vydrrrraaa!!!!!

(Come on you Czech! We want a goal! We want a goal! Vydrrrraaa!!!!!)

(he would absolutely love the derby fans if we started singing this, trust me, a truly lovely touch to sing him a chant in his own language, no matter how poor 1000 derby fans would sound :D) (pronounced, "Chesh-e, do, to-ho", "my ch-cem-e gol", it sounds difficult but it isn't and we'd be educating a few derby fans in Czech :D

Definitely Vydra for me, the far better striker but as you can see I have a huge bias :D......though I have been Martin's biggest supporter for the past few years and he is even the current name on my shirt...:D....they are different but Vydra has the pace, finishing, intelligent runs miles ahead of Martin, Martin has winning his fouls and coming short. they really are different players.

I still want to see both of them in a front two = lethal.

13 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

SING IT? I can't even read or say it, let alone blinking sing it!!

Why can't I like this more than once :D, here it is with the full accents :D 

Češi do toho!

My chceme gól!

It sounds as it looks really apart from Č pronounced "Ch" like in church.  š pronounced "Sh" like in ****. ó pronounced "oo" like in pool.

Good luck :D

Just now, DerbyRam! said:

Why can't I like this more than once :D, here it is with the full accents :D 

Češi do toho!

My chceme gól!

It sounds as it looks really apart from Č pronounced "Ch" like in church.  š pronounced "Sh" like in ****. ó pronounced "oo" like in pool.

Good luck :D

nope, not getting it.

I've got idea. Film yourself singing it (like @AmericanRam filmed his transfer window video), and upload and post links.

It's the ONLY way.

3 hours ago, toddy said:

Not too sure we need to bring back a striker who is struggling to score, so he can defend set pieces. I would argue we would be better off getting those who's job it is to defend set pieces to get it right and bring a striker who's main job is to score goals.

Yes I agree but it would be an added bonus if he was to return 

7 hours ago, archied said:

Think your first line brings a point up that people miss ,, you say as Leeds were sitting deep ,,,? I would say Leeds sat deep because the side we put out had pace and pushing up on us would have been very dangerous for them ,,, now if we had Martin in the side instead of vydra they may well have pushed up a bit on us ,, sides will always try to counter whatever team we put out in the best way they can it's then up to the players we put out there to pull them around and get the better of them ,, for me it's not a question of who's better ,Martin or vydra it's about the whole 10 outfield players being inteligent enough to use what we have on the field to beat the opposition

I see your point but I have to disagree. When Martin played teams would often sit that deep against us or to be more specific be forced deep by constant pressure. Part of the reason our attack was so dangerous previously under McClaren was to do with Martin dropping deep and his cleverness on the ball. When Martin dropped into midfield it put the opposing centre backs to an awkward question, do they follow him or do they keep position ? If they followed him, even slightly, it opened up gaps in the opposing backline that could be exposed by the attacking midfielders and inside forwards receiving a quick flick from Martin. If they don't follow him, Martin has time and space on the ball to turn and either shoot or pick a pass. 

Vydra needs to do this more for us, particularly when the opposing defence is deep, for us to start opening gaps to exploit in the opposing defence. He needs to learn when to spin in behind and when to come short and work with the midfield to create an opening. 

For this system based around high intensity short passing, where we keep the ball and move it slickly to find an opening, to work requires nearly every player to get involved in it (particularly the more attacking players). Primarily the lone forward needs to be comfortable coming short and work in close tandem with the attacking midfielders to create an opening. If the centre forward can also break beyond the back line himself when appropriate, that's great but it's icing on the cake.

There is a reasonable hope that Vydra can adapt.  Vydra is hard working and technically adept enough to make it work. Also in McClaren we have an absolutely fantastic coach, who could potentially coach the role into him. But be under no illusions Vydra needs to adapt for our attack to be as effective as it was previously under McClaren.

Archived