Martin or Vydra

DCFC4LIFE

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I don't buy this argument in the slightest. If his attitude was so bad, why would he turn up two weeks early for pre-season this year? Why would Nigel Clough, a colossal stickler for bringing in players of the right attitude, sign him ?

That's a very good point. Clough was almost anal in his need that players have the right attitude before the club bought them and if they didn't he shipped them out quickly a la Craig Maguire.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Anyone that wants Martin back is an idiot. Stop living in the past, weve got vydra now

I'm obviously an idiot then. I like the look of Vydra but want Martin too because he would increase our attacking options. 

He ain't coming back - I can't imagine that Mac has even thought of him - more likely hes loving the pace he's never had up top. Vydra excites him although he really wanted vydra to get the 2nd satdee. Vydra will need to start executing more consistently Time will tell everything. Enjoy the ride.

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Who was the other striker he was playing with on Saturday then?

Yes spot on we don't play a 4-3-3.

4-3-2-1 maybe or even 4-1-2-2-1 with GT.

So why does everybody say we need Marton back cos we play 4-3-3?

15 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yes spot on we don't play a 4-3-3.

4-3-2-1 maybe or even 4-1-2-2-1 with GT.

So why does everybody say we need Marton back cos we play 4-3-3?

The point I was making was he can't play the Martin role, he is more of a Vardy than say a Charlie Austin...

Why don't give it a little more than 1 match under McClaren as the main striker. Why do we think Vydra can't do the back to goal things? From my understanding he has a good first touch and has some footballing brains. The things we lose most here are the set pieces and defending corners. Maybe he won't be able to play the "Martin" role the same way but a new way could benefit us. At this point we just do not know.

Key to this whole debate is whether a 4-3-3 has to involve the Martin way - a big man playing up front who we play through and runners running off him.

Or is there another way to play 4-3-3 that doesn't involve the Martin way and which might better suit Vydra? 

15 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

That's a very good point. Clough was almost anal in his need that players have the right attitude before the club bought them and if they didn't he shipped them out quickly a la Craig Maguire.

i think he started training early because he was two stones over wieght

11 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The point I was making was he can't play the Martin role, he is more of a Vardy than say a Charlie Austin...

Vydra does not need to play the Martin role, as you say he is a different player.

So we should be adding to the skills that Vydra has, possibly playing a true 4-3-3, possibly Ince along side him plus a new addition in January. In the mean time we can play Weimann or Wilson in a front 3 with vydra and Ince. Playing a true 3 up front that don't play in a set position eg all 3 interchange on left or right or down the middle causes defences major problems. Because the 3 will be runners with pace it pulls defenders all over the place which in turn opens up space for each of the 3 front strikers to run into and open up the opposition.

For this all to happen we need to start to release the ball from midfield so much quicker.

49 minutes ago, toddy said:

Vydra does not need to play the Martin role, as you say he is a different player.

So we should be adding to the skills that Vydra has, possibly playing a true 4-3-3, possibly Ince along side him plus a new addition in January. In the mean time we can play Weimann or Wilson in a front 3 with vydra and Ince. Playing a true 3 up front that don't play in a set position eg all 3 interchange on left or right or down the middle causes defences major problems. Because the 3 will be runners with pace it pulls defenders all over the place which in turn opens up space for each of the 3 front strikers to run into and open up the opposition.

For this all to happen we need to start to release the ball from midfield so much quicker.

Park the bus and that's Vydra and Weismann nullified…

56 minutes ago, toddy said:

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Park the bus and that's Vydra and Weismann nullified…

But not Wilson :ph34r:

Archived