Martin or Vydra

DCFC4LIFE

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far too early. If I was voting on vydra vs martin after both had played  as many games I would vote vydra. Time will tell.

Does there need to be a straight choice? Different types of forwards, different roles, different strengths and different weaknesses.

From seeing the way they play, Vydra would be more suited to the step-up in the long term should we make it, but I can't possibly say I'd rather have him over Martin when he's played about 6 games compared to Chrissy's wonderful 3/4 years here.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

If you watch Vydra off the ball he's constantly making runs, but the players aren't seeing them. Once our players learn his game, he'll score for fun. Really rate him

I thought it was a mixed bag. A couple of times he DIDN'T make the run for Butterfield, he was also offside for 2 assists which we got away with (not needing the goal). I hope some proper coaching will see him and Hughes&Butterfield learning something about each other.

I've voted for Martin on the basis of knowing what Martin CAN do, and not yet seeing anything that Vydra can do that's better.

There's nothing that says well-timed runs need to be made by fast(er) strikers.

I think it's very easy to say Martin given that we've all got a pretty good idea of how he operates, and how prolific he can be when used properly. 

However, Watford fans may very well have said the same about Vydra a few years ago. Players go through patches of form, you have to play slightly differently to get the best out of either player. Comparing the two directly when we;ve only seen the best of one first hand is premature for me. 

27 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

If you watch Vydra off the ball he's constantly making runs, but the players aren't seeing them. Once our players learn his game, he'll score for fun. Really rate him

I agree. He looks good to me and will only get better IMO. I do think Mac will look at getting Martin back though as they offer different attacking options.

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I thought it was a mixed bag. A couple of times he DIDN'T make the run for Butterfield, he was also offside for 2 assists which we got away with (not needing the goal). I hope some proper coaching will see him and Hughes&Butterfield learning something about each other.

I've voted for Martin on the basis of knowing what Martin CAN do, and not yet seeing anything that Vydra can do that's better.

There's nothing that says well-timed runs need to be made by fast(er) strikers.

If you look at the first of those occasions, Vydra timed his run perfectly but as Ince arrived he has to sort his feet out and by the time he does that Vydra is offside. 

4 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Russell Martin Vydra would be my choice and I have a sneaky feeling that it may happen in January 

:yes:

I dont, I don't think Fulham will be able to afford to sign Russell and vydra in January.

48 minutes ago, sage said:

If you look at the first of those occasions, Vydra timed his run perfectly but as Ince arrived he has to sort his feet out and by the time he does that Vydra is offside. 

maybe, but if it was Bent, people would be frothing at the mouth.

Archived