POLL: Chris Martin

Mostyn6

Chris Martin - Loan status  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is what I don't get, the same people wanting Martin back are the same ones wanting us to go back to 4-3-3, where does that leave Vydra? Vydra is more talented imo and will be a bigger asset to us in the future than Martin and we can't play our record signing out of position.Martin may be 27 but he is in his thirties in footballing terms imo because of his poor general fitness overall which means he is always catching up. It may not all be his fault because genetics plays a big role in overall fitness too. Moving on, Martin is our Rooney, you either love him or hate him as suggested by the poll. That in itself should bring up some doubts because not all of us have confidence that he will find his form again for Derby County and why perhaps it is best to move on, for good. Jim Smith was great for Derby, does that mean I want him back? No because times change and we all move on. Too many people focus on the past when what matters is the here and now and at this moment of time Martin is not good enough for our team. Martin isn't even guaranteed to start ahead of Matt Smith for Fulham which tells you all you need to know. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

This is what I don't get, the same people wanting Martin back are the same ones wanting us to go back to 4-3-3, where does that leave Vydra? Vydra is more talented imo and will be a bigger asset to us in the future than Martin and we can't play our record signing out of position.Martin may be 27 but he is in his thirties in footballing terms imo because of his poor general fitness overall which means he is always catching up. It may not all be his fault because genetics plays a big role in overall fitness too. Moving on, Martin is our Rooney, you either love him or hate him as suggested by the poll. That in itself should bring up some doubts because not all of us have confidence that he will find his form again for Derby County and why perhaps it is best to move on, for good. Jim Smith was great for Derby, does that mean I want him back? No because times change and we all move on. Too many people focus on the past when what matters is the here and now and at this moment of time Martin is not good enough for our team. Martin isn't even guaranteed to start ahead of Matt Smith for Fulham which tells you all you need to know. 

Nope. Read the last couple of pages if that's what you think. Most are curious as to whether Martin and Vydra could function in a 4-4-2 at the same time as having the option to revert to a 4-4-3 should the situation lend itself. Whichever system is favoured, it'd be nice to have a plan B in any case. We can't do that without a target man IMO.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Not wanting to take any particular side but how many times has he played in a 442 with a true strike partner rather than runners feeding off his supply. ?

Currently playing a form of 4-4-2 At Fulham with Aluko or Woodrow his strike partner

8 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

he is not the player from 2013/14 & 2014/15 anymore

Mostly likely because he's not played under the manager from 2013/14 & 2014/15. We haven't played a system that's suited him as well since then, so it's very presumptuous to assume he's finished.

If we play with a system/manager that suits him it would be incredibly foolish to not get him back. If we don't, then by all means leave him at Fulham. On his day, he's one of the best players in the division and his link up play is a joy to watch.

22 minutes ago, toddy said:

Not too sure why we keep living in the past?

Fans want 4-3-3, fans want Martin back.

Which is a bit puzzling, 4-3-3 main failings as a system is that it doesn't  work with lazy players.:blink:

Who is lazy?

All day long.

Martin is class imagine;

Vydra

Anya      Martin       Ince

Johnson   Hughes 

Don't matter about defence because no championship team should be touching the ball with that lineup.

I still can't understand why he was loaned out in the first place :blink: 

50 minutes ago, toddy said:

Which is a bit puzzling, 4-3-3 main failings as a system is that it doesn't  work with lazy players.:blink:

Erm… in fact, I'll just leave it.

It's all a bit baffling really we see posters saying that Martin really shines in 4/3/3 and we need to play to his strengths to get best from him , then we see some saying they would like to see him in  a4/4/2 with vydra ,,,,,but we don't have midfielders to play 4/4/2 ? But then we don't have Thorne or anybody good enough to play in his position to play4/3/3,, here's what I see ,, the players cannot or will not perform with any real consistency the formation issue is a red herring as these players should be able to adapt to a plan b if and when it's needed ,they are topish championship players it not too much to ask so the get a big share of blame ,,, Pearson has not been brilliant in his reading and handling of the situation he's found at Derby so must take some blame, Mel for me swings from seeing the players clearly and being upset enough to want change but has enough of a touch of fans players starstruckness to want to be too close to them so takes some blame too , it's a mess and needs sorting out ,it reminds me a bit of abv at Chelsea ,brought in to break up an aging but very powerful player base but sacked when the power base rebelled and results nosedived ,,, the biggest problem has come with Pearson demanding all players earn their place in training and matches ,it's not worked and perhaps he needed to be a bit cleverer and sneaker in terms of backing down a bit and pretending a bit till the next window where he could make more major changes to playing staff

It's a huge no from me. 

Served us brilliantly. Will never forget his achievements here. He was nothing of much note before Derby, but he delivered in spades. Free transfer. Superb bit of business. But we also got shut at the right time too. That's how you'd like all transfers to work out. 

2 hours ago, toddy said:

If cannable can leave it then so can parsnip.

No bites today for you, you big troll.

7 hours ago, curtains said:

To be honest I have nothing against Chris Martin he's a really nice guy .

Do I want him back not really but I can see why some do as he was a good servant to Derby County  and a huge favorite to many Derby fans as was Jake Buxton  

If he comes back so be it but he's not the answer some are looking for IMO but he does hold the ball up well in a 4-3-3  

Odds are he may yet come back if Pearson is sacked but I'm not going to be a hypocrite as I wanted change and I wanted Pearson to move him on. 

I am happy with Vydra. 

Not read all the thread curtains but thought this was a decent post to jump in on. Somebody else might have mentioned it already.

Chris Martin was a lot more than a decent servant to the club. He was arguably the best striker the club has had in a generation and a belting player to boot.

I'm generally a Pearson fan but for me he's made a huge mistake letting Martin and Hendrick leave the club.

Play to Martin and Bryson's strengths and you're guaranteed 30 goals a season.

4-2-3-1 with Martin playing behind Vydra would work.

4-4-2 diamond with Thorne holding while Hughes plays in behind Vydra and Martin would work.

4-3-3 with Martin up top would work.

4-3-3 with Vydra up top would work.

But no, people don't want to have options in a squad because Martin's "lazy" for not chasing after defenders pointlessly and we shouldn't "live in the past" by utilising a top striker currently contracted to the club.

Some stupid arguments against bringing Martin back.

10 hours ago, Ninos said:

We need this badly right now:

"Within two minutes Fulham somehow squandered a chance to level up through a horror miss from on-loan striker Chris Martin.

Martin has not scored for 19 league games for either Derby or Fulham but would not have had a better chance to end that drought.

Scott Parker freed Lucas Piazon who laid ball on a plate to Martin, but the Scottish striker got the ball tangled up in his feet and drove wide with an empty net in front of him."

Yes, that's 19 games!

If Fulham want him gone we should extract another fee (for the trouble), :D and bring him back as cover for our centre halves. He doesn't try hard and he can't shoot, head, or run but he defends set pieces pretty well, I give him that. 

On a scale of 1 to deeply saddened, how much are you disappointed that no-one chose to engage with this pathetic excuse for wummery?

Martin is undoubtedy the best sriker we've had in the last 15 years. Kudos to you though for at least keeping yourself going whilst everyone else on the forum has fallen into a coma every time you post something completely ridiculous about CM... seriously impressive levels delusion and lack of grip on reality. Ever thought of going into politics? You're wasted on here...

Of course I'd have him back.

But if I had to choose between Vydra or Martin, the former would be my pick. (even though. with current players Martin would probably fit in better.

When you think which one you would rather play against, it would be Martin every day. I'd be terrified to play against Vydra, but I think I could still do the job against Martin.

Archived