POLL: Chris Martin

Mostyn6

Chris Martin - Loan status  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we signed Craig Marvin from Derby City and he'd scored about 60 goals since 2013 then people would be buzzing. Even if he'd not scored in 19 matches there'd be "If he can rediscover his form" or "we need to play to his strengths like Derby City did" comments

People are really fickle on players but then can't accept it when players aren't loyal when they get a bigger move. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

If we signed Craig Marvin from Derby City and he'd scored about 60 goals since 2013 then people would be buzzing. Even if he'd not scored in 19 matches there'd be "If he can rediscover his form" or "we need to play to his strengths like Derby City did" comments

People are really fickle on players but then can't accept it when players aren't loyal when they get a bigger move. 

The buzz around signing Matej Vydra proves your point perfectly. Pretty bad season last year, I think he'd admit it. But we paid £8m for him because everyone knows he's got it in him.

13 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

probably better than most in the 90s too. 

The last player to score more than Martin was Marco (5 more), before that Bobby.

(I may be wrong with that but cant be bothered to look at every striker we have had in the last 30ish years.)

28 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Can't believe so many people are saying No, unbelievable, he's been our best striker for a decade

Only Derby fans could advocate selling a striker with 60 goals in three seasons whilst simultaneously being the lowest scorers in the division. It is a position that defies logic. I would implore all those rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of a further 6 million to take a look at the transfer fees this summer. 6 million buys you absolutely dick all.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

Only Derby fans could advocate selling a striker with 60 goals in three seasons whilst simultaneously being the lowest scorers in the division. It is a position that defies logic. I would implore all those rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of a further 6 million to take a look at the transfer fees this summer. 6 million buys you absolutely dick all.

We've already bought Blackman what more proof is needed of the price of C.R.A.P. strikers?

Just had a sneaky peak at the recent leading goalscorers and it turns out that Chris' 2015/16 goal return (which marked the demise according to some of his goalscoring abilities with 'only' 15 strikes finding the net) has only been bettered 4 times in the last 20 years - Hulse, Howard, Rasiak and Wanchope being those who have surpassed that total. Indeed, his best return (2013/14 - 25 goals) has only been bettered 3 times in 60 years, by Bobby Davison, Ray Straw and Jack Parry, all of whom achieved this in the old Division 3.  

Not too shabby for a 'wardrobe'....

PistoldPete2
21 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Just had a sneaky peak at the recent leading goalscorers and it turns out that Chris' 2015/16 goal return (which marked the demise according to some of his goalscoring abilities with 'only' 15 strikes finding the net) has only been bettered 4 times in the last 20 years - Hulse, Howard, Rasiak and Wanchope being those who have surpassed that total. Indeed, his best return (2013/14 - 25 goals) has only been bettered 3 times in 60 years, by Bobby Davison, Ray Straw and Jack Parry, all of whom achieved this in the old Division 3.  

Not too shabby for a 'wardrobe'....

Why is he called the wardrobe? Cos he has lot of hang-ups?

1 hour ago, Cool As Custard said:

A categoric no from me. Time to stop looking backwards - he isn't that player and we aren't that team anymore. 

Move on and look for someone better who fits what the next manager wants to do....

They look backwards because there's nothing to look forward to.

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

And you could even play 4-4-2 with him and Vydra 

And that is the crux of the CM story. He should be a Teddy Sherringham, a ghost, space finding guileful foil to a rapier like Vydra .. But has he got the brain to adapt ? I haven't seen evidence that he has. Better informed managers and coaches haven't succeeded. ... Our old 433 means Chris doing what he used to do which doesn't work as often enough these days. I am not learned enough to judge for certain, but same old same old doesnt seem to be the route to follow. 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

And that is the crux of the CM story. He should be a Teddy Sherringham, a ghost, space finding guileful foil to a rapier like Vydra .. But has he got the brain to adapt ? I haven't seen evidence that he has. Better informed managers and coaches haven't succeeded. ... Our old 433 means Chris doing what he used to do which doesn't work as often enough these days. I am not learned enough to judge for certain, but same old same old doesnt seem to be the route to follow. 

Martin's record for us as a part of a front pairing is eight goals and four assists in 25 games with a further two goals incorrectly disallowed for offside. This is in a side that finished tenth and after 10 games found itself fourteenth. 

That's a pretty tidy record all things considered.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Martin's record for us as a part of a front pairing is eight goals and four assists in 25 games with a further two goals incorrectly disallowed for offside. This is in a side that finished tenth and after 10 games found itself fourteenth. 

That's a pretty tidy record all things considered.

I didn't realise that you were supposed to use facts for this. Better just to spout a load of unsupported rubbish and sit back and look smart.

Archived