Pearson blames the players

Carl Sagan

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

He was 21… 

You hear lots of things, **** knows how much of it's true. I've heard things about some of our most beloved players… means nowt.

Not trying to push my opinion just voicing it, it's just very telling to me that we'd loan him out. As someone mentioned could be as simple as him not fitting Pearsons plans but I don't buy that. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, YouRams said:

Not trying to push my opinion just voicing it, it's just very telling to me that we'd loan him out. As someone mentioned could be as simple as him not fitting Pearsons plans but I don't buy that. 

At the end of the day, people were stating during pre-season that he didn't look like he fit.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

At the end of the day, people were stating during pre-season that he didn't look like he fit.

I disagree he was one of the players in two weeks early and looked trimmer than he did at the start of last season. The lack of fitness looked more lack of effort but again only my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I disagree he was one of the players in two weeks early and looked trimmer than he did at the start of last season. The lack of fitness looked more lack of effort but again only my opinion. 

Indeed his application seemed fine, but I think cannable meant his face didn't fit.

I imagine we loaned him out when a decent enough offer came in too late to fully act on.

For me, they get until.mid December, if we're mid table, Pearson continues and gets to move players in January. 

If we're in a relegation scrap, its time to.look at it. 

I think winning some away matches will help. 

I think the players are not producing quality rather than not trying. 

It could be worse. Much worse. We could be.in this position in april, we could be having financial difficulties, in the wider context, the good ship DCFC might seem ridderless, floundering, engines making more smoke than power, but itsno where near the rocks and hull is sound. 

I'm not sure if some posts are close to the line but I'd prefer to remain very much the right side of that line so I've removed some comments. Call someone out about their performances or their work ethic no problem - but please refrain from comments about people's character. 

4 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Ditto David Moyes after Sunderland were beaten being 2-0 up "we need our players to accept a level of responsibility that's it's not all down to me and my staff.........the players have to do their bit and I'm not sure that in certain situations they did". Fair comment.

Yes, morally  players do need to accept responsibility. Unfortunately player power is such these days that they perhaps feel that if the the manager is not too their liking, they can, collectively get him the sack with a few calculated failures &  inept performances. Problem is, should Pearson go due to the poor results which are likely to continue....who next to come in and  massage the egos of these pampered overpaid under achievers?

22 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not sure why you believe he has lost the dressing room ? I read his interview rather than rely on third hand information, and to me he is implying that the players are coping well, as both individuals and a team with the lack of confidence that is around at the moment.

It looks to me that the players are hiding at the moment rather than playing to their full ability, and he hasn't got enough players on the pitch that can get over this mental hurdle and means they are not carrying out his instructions on the pitch.  

He accepts responsibility in that it's a reflection on the coaching staff and himself, so I'm not sure what reaction people want from him, to say that everything is ok? We didn't deserve to lose etc etc....

I share your sentiments. None of us know (apart from the hang em shoot em flog em brigade) if Pearsn will get it right, but from reading the interview I can't see that he has attacked or blamed the players in any individual sense. To me it is a reasonable summary of the failings of the team .. Team being players and staff. He observes that we didn't do some things right on the pitch for long enough .. I don't think you can call stating the obvious as "blaming" the players. He say "X" didn't try hard enough or "Y" didn't do what I told him. He did say he has expectations but don't we all ? And here on the forum after so many games we get more than personal in our criticism of individuals. Ok so he is the manager not a fan like us but facing hard home truths and saying pretty delicately doesn't qualify as blaming the players in my book. 

I'm just wondering if Pearson isn't entirely to blame for all this. 

At the start of the season If you know the changes to the transfer system (no loans etc) and you also know that you are going to fundamentally change the system your club plays the last thing you would do is spend several weeks inactive in the transfer market. it makes no sense because you risk being left with an incomplete  squad for your style that just doesn't work and you are stuck with it until Christmas, unlike in years gone by when you could tinker and bring loanees in to address weaknesses in the short term. 

i wonder if we couldnt do anything transfer wise until the hendrick move was likely if not fully agreed because we needed the money, and ultimately we didnt get all the deals in we wanted on deadline day. 

risking a third of the season on the outcome of one desperate over inflated deadline day doesnt seem like a choice anyone would make unless they had to. 

My problem with Pearson is that I don't see the plan by which we hope to win.It used to be keep the ball and play tippy tappy.

Now one assumes it's play on the break and use our pace. Great if you've got ruthless finishers. 

However, it's tough for a manager if your players misplace passes, fail to spot danger or fail to deliver on the game plan you have worked on all week.

@Anag Ram

I think your closing sentence hits the nail on the head. The player's confidence is low and the misplaced passes are higher in number than they would normally be. Add in rusty strikers and it starts to look pretty rough. Someone else talked about fine margins and I agree. you could keep playing what if and would only need 2 or 3 of those to come for us to be mid table, a bit frustrated at the slow progress but seeing light at the end of tunnel.

Right now the light is a train coming form the opposite direction threatening to squash us flat.

I agree with your deduction that the plan was to use attack on the break, it hasn't worked so far but infighting wont help us

I think it's very telling that he would lay the blame on the players.

For me, if you go back and watch his famous 'ostrich rant' at Leicester, you'll see a stroke of genius in a man protecting his players. He's asked about performance, he's asked about media criticism, he's asked about individuals in the team. His team are on the slide and when pressed to blame his Leicester players, he verbally attacks the journalist in such a way that leaves everyone speechless. Then he leaves and all the media start talking about then is the pressure on Pearson. Not the pressure on the players, the pressure on him. He takes one for the team. He deflects the media chatter in his own direction to relieve the pressure on the players.

When he apologised the next day for the rant, he said the players worked exceptionally hard and that the criticism has been too much, and so he just snapped.

What exactly is the difference then? Is the Derby situation different because we're not working as hard? I doubt it, I saw Esteban Cambiasso dawdle around in Leicester's midfield that year. The only difference is that then he was protecting his mates at the club, and really, he wishes he was still at Leicester.

But he's not. He's not winning Premier League titles with Leicester. He's stuck at Derby. Lashing out internally and throwing his lads under the bus tell me that they're not 'his lads'. They're a group of players that realistically he wishes he didn't have to manage. But he loves football, and he loves management, and he needs a job.

So Derby it is then. Woe is Nigel. And thusly, he becomes even more miserable than I've ever seen him and grows a miserable ungroomed beard and sits in interviews with bags under his eyes looking like he doesn't give a ****.

That's my analysis.

Two ways to look at it? Either he's crap at man management and he's had enough of our lot and is letting them know what he thinks, publically. Or it's a final attempt at arse-kicking and if they respond he'll be all lovey-dovey with them to the media after tomorrow's game.

It's a dangerous game to play, if it back-fires then things will get much worse I reckon. Maybe that's what Pearson wants, to be sacked? :D #liveinhope

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

I think it's very telling that he would lay the blame on the players.

For me, if you go back and watch his famous 'ostrich rant' at Leicester, you'll see a stroke of genius in a man protecting his players. He's asked about performance, he's asked about media criticism, he's asked about individuals in the team. His team are on the slide and when pressed to blame his Leicester players, he verbally attacks the journalist in such a way that leaves everyone speechless. Then he leaves and all the media start talking about then is the pressure on Pearson. Not the pressure on the players, the pressure on him. He takes one for the team. He deflects the media chatter in his own direction to relieve the pressure on the players.

When he apologised the next day for the rant, he said the players worked exceptionally hard and that the criticism has been too much, and so he just snapped.

What exactly is the difference then? Is the Derby situation different because we're not working as hard? I doubt it, I saw Esteban Cambiasso dawdle around in Leicester's midfield that year. The only difference is that then he was protecting his mates at the club, and really, he wishes he was still at Leicester.

But he's not. He's not winning Premier League titles with Leicester. He's stuck at Derby. Lashing out internally and throwing his lads under the bus tell me that they're not 'his lads'. They're a group of players that realistically he wishes he didn't have to manage. But he loves football, and he loves management, and he needs a job.

So Derby it is then. Woe is Nigel. And thusly, he becomes even more miserable than I've ever seen him and grows a miserable ungroomed beard and sits in interviews with bags under his eyes looking like he doesn't give a ****.

That's my analysis.

Hard to argue with this point really.

Give NP 2 more windows at this club and I think we will all see a different Nigel Pearson. as well as a different Derby team.

Archived