Pearson blames the players

Carl Sagan

I don't understand what is going on at Derby. There is no doubt that last season the team was not far short of being promoted. They imploded in the home play-off against Hull, but very nearly rescued it at Hull, where they were the dominant team. But that failure seems to have knocked the wind out of them. Pearson is a good manager. That is evidenced in all his previous jobs, but he's not looking it at the moment. I know Ince left Hull because Bruce wasn't starting him every week and he and his dad felt he should be an automatic choice, so they got a family hump and looked elsewhere. Are there unsettling forces undermining Pearson that need weeding out? If so he needs to be allowed time to do it, because something is clearly wrong.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, mickram said:

I think Hughes is bang average at the minute and a shadow of the player that bossed the Hull game .Needs to bick up and quick.

Were you at the game ? He's been the best player on the field every game bar Liverpool. He really should be playing for a better team - one where teammates make runs and get open. Not a team full of statues. 

40 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

So the plan is, we don't want to be seen as a club that sacks managers repeatedly, so we'll keep Pearson on, but have the players ignore everything he says? :blink:

Yeah, if you want to interpret a ramble like a muppet. Some of us are willing to have an open mind on what is going on.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Just spent over £100 on some new boots for her, and I've booked next year's holidays for where she wants to go.

IKEA it is then.

Eddie, mate, whatever it is that she thinks you've done (or not done) nothing but nothing has made you deserve IKEA.

Nope. You've got to man up here son. She was wrong for leaving early and she knows it. You were right to stay. You deserve a Sunday roast with all the trimmings and several glasses of your favourite Belgian served by the memsahib in a frilly French waitress uniform. And an early night.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Yeah, if you want to interpret a ramble like a muppet. Some of us are willing to have an open mind on what is going on.

However you interpret it, you can't have the situation where the players are having to go against what the manager is telling them to do to get results. It undermines the manager completely, to the extent you may as well sack him.

8 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I don't understand what is going on at Derby. There is no doubt that last season the team was not far short of being promoted. They imploded in the home play-off against Hull, but very nearly rescued it at Hull, where they were the dominant team. But that failure seems to have knocked the wind out of them. Pearson is a good manager. That is evidenced in all his previous jobs, but he's not looking it at the moment. I know Ince left Hull because Bruce wasn't starting him every week and he and his dad felt he should be an automatic choice, so they got a family hump and looked elsewhere. Are there unsettling forces undermining Pearson that need weeding out? If so he needs to be allowed time to do it, because something is clearly wrong.

Ince left Hull because he's wonderful floating attacking player, Hull were a attritional side and we paid the buy-out fee.

Weimann has never been given a decent run in the team since he arrived, and I still think Shackell is the best CD we have.

Agree on Ince though, utterly utterly awful. Only any good when a coach kisses his ass, and even then its usually only when he plays in the hole.... which you could argue is the best position of hughes, bryson, butterfield, and vydra aswell.

5 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Weimann has never been given a decent run in the team since he arrived, and I still think Shackell is the best CD we have.

Agree on Ince though, utterly utterly awful. Only any good when a coach kisses his ass, and even then its usually only when he plays in the hole.... which you could argue is the best position of hughes, bryson, butterfield, and vydra aswell.

That all comes down to systems and team shape again though.  Weimann has always been a striker that needs to play up front in a 2, but we mostly used him out wide in a 3 and he's struggled. Shackell is probably the best out and out defender we have, but his lack of pace means the backline sits too deep and the team gets stretched, plus his awful distribution hampers us if we try to play out from the back.

Ince doesn't have blinding pace, or strength, so he struggles if he gets isolated. When he was on loan, we pushed much further up and he had players around him pulling defenders away and creating space for him to do damage. Since we signed him, we've sat much deeper and he's been very isolated, so the extent that he needs to beat 3 men every time to do anything at all.

It all comes down to the disconnect between the players we've signed and how they've been used. We seemingly sign players without any thought as to how they will be used. And given the number of long balls we've hit up to Vydra and anya today, I don't see any sign of it changing.

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

In any profession if you do not get a clear direction from your manager you cannot perform to the best of your ability, simple.

Or you hope that the staff take ownership and take things on themselves and hope to improve the situation. In the end it's all of the staff and the manager who get the chop in the real world unless someone steps up and takes on a leadership role 

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

If the players don't take to certain managers and refuse to give them a chance what hope do they have? Stinks of PC mark 2 this. The only common factor through all of this is the players.

If it really stinks of PC when do we get to be top of the table?!

38 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Were you at the game ? He's been the best player on the field every game bar Liverpool. He really should be playing for a better team - one where teammates make runs and get open. Not a team full of statues. 

Yes I was there.

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

I see talented players who work hard but work stupid. I see wrong decisions at all the wrong times a formation that doesn't work - no it doesn't need to be 4-3-3 but butterfield out wide ? Really ? 4-2-3-1 would be our best option but that's just one opinion.  I see most of all absolutely no movement off the ball - in sum I see very poor coaching both in motivation and tactics. After we score we had 6 ultra attacking players out there ... He should have put Elsnick or Johnson straight in as the final sub to shore up the middle ...they waltzed through us for that equalizer. I'd be surprised if he's here Monday. 

Blame players all you want but it's you at the end of the day. 

This is one where I dont WANT to agree with you but I have to. There was clearly a weakness in the middle and Weiman for Bryson wasn't the answer. It needle muscle and stature .. As you say Johnson or Elsnik ( who for a young un looks a strong lad ) 

i don't want to be a headless "sack him" or "tell player X he's crap" Doesn't achieve much .. What we do need to do, players coaching staff and manager alike is to look very hard at what the F we are doing to get rolled over by a side who are, on paper, not our standard .. Yet they made us look pretty second rate.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Ironic that you have spent years telling everyone how the club has your unreserved support no matter who the manager, players or chairman is, and how booing the players is so wrong...at least they last the 90 minutes to voice their opinion.

I stayed until the bitter end, so please learn to read. I know that would make you almost unique in Leeds, but at least have a go. My wife left before the end - I didn't.

4 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

Pearson  and the players need to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and come out fighting on Tuesday at Cardiff. 

Spot on mate .. This isn't a bad manger or bad players this is a group of grown men that isnt playing or acting like a TEAM 

they are working but not together 

Archived