Beer Thread

Cisse

On 24/10/2023 at 16:34, Eddie said:

Public Service Announcement:

Lidl have the Belgian boxes back in stock from the end of this week - together with a few French Abbey beers which look quite interesting.

Yes saw in local Lidl they had the pack of 6 Belgian beers for about £12. I was walking though so couldn't carry the weight. Was thinking of going back in the car to see if I could get them. I'll have a think tommorow. 

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

Yes saw in local Lidl they had the pack of 6 Belgian beers for about £12. I was walking though so couldn't carry the weight. Was thinking of going back in the car to see if I could get them. I'll have a think tommorow. 

They've also got Budvar dark 500ml bottles on offer at £1.79.

It's getting quite hard to obtain that now.

4 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Totally worth it. Every time they go on sale, I buy a few boxes. They will have them for 3 or 4 weeks, and every visit, I buy a couple more boxes. They will last me until the next time they go on sale. At one time, it was just Fathers' Day, but now it's 3 or 4 times a year they re-stock.

The other Belgian beers they have in stock at the moment are pretty good too - Leute Bokbier is a lovely malty brew, and Cuvee Des Trolls is a nice hoppy offering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2023 at 17:29, oomarkwright said:

I had the last two boxes from Chaddesden Lidl last week. Amazing that the stock lasted 2 months this time.

I've still got 16 boxes left, so I should be able to hold out until the next time they're in stock. I'm even in the luxurious position of being able to give some away as Christmas presents.

2 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Anyone tried Tynt Meadow beers? Brewed at an Abbey in Leicestershire.

Expensive, so I want to know if they're up to the mark.

Oh, yes - Britain's first Trappist beer.

In my opinion, the original Tynt Meadow (the 7.4% dark beer pictured) is one of the finest beers brewed in England. I've been a huge fan ever since they started brewing at Mount St Bernard Abbey. The Memsahib and I pop up there 2 or 3 times a year to pick a couple of boxes up. It is a most tranquil place.

Be sure to get the glass too.

The bottom of the label is a depiction of the horizon featuring the abbey.

tyntmeadow.thumb.jpg.daac96d7ede89f36a294dd8032e49919.jpg

Edited by Eddie