Beer Thread

Cisse

10 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Not if England win the WC tho. ….

Strangely enough, my first experience of getting ratarsed on proper beer (my dad was an avid home brewer) was following just such an event (1966 World Cup final).

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Strangely enough, my first experience of getting ratarsed on proper beer (my dad was an avid home brewer) was following just such an event (1966 World Cup final).

And mine was when Derby won the league for the first time on my dad’s whisky, (he was on nights). Cue mum giving me the two fingered first aid so I was fit for school the next day. ?

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

When the pandemic struck, one of the first casualties was Belgo, my favourite Nottingham bar.

Today, I found Kilpin, and it's well worth a visit.

Down the Alley way, or Twitchel as they call it here?

I was sorting out some cupboards in the spare room yesterday, and amongst my brewing equipment found a couple of dozen bottles of beer.

I stopped home-brewing about 10 years ago - I used to brew all-grain Belgian-style beers but stopped after the element in my brew kettle burned out. The intention was to fit a new element, but work got in the way.

Anyway, I had no idea what the beers would be like. They were all colour-coded (silver caps for tripels, amber caps for ambrees, green, red and brown caps for darker beers etc) so, nothing ventured, nothing gained, last night I opened three of them, ready to ditch the contents down the sink.

Amber cap first - a reassuring hiss indicated that it was still pressurised. A tentative sniff brought a lovely, malty yet boozy aroma to my nostrils. The pour was a clear, golden colour with a head which was almost cream-coloured. An even more tentative sip confirmed my suspicions - I really did know what I was doing. It was astoundingly good - very similar to Kwak.

The other two I opened were equally delicious - both dark beers, nice aroma, good head, clear and bright.

Got to build a new kettle and check out the mash tun now.

5 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I stopped because my first and only attempt was too s*** for words and I coulnd't be arsed with the faff of trying again and waiting another 3 months only for it to be almost certainly s*** again.

The best advice I would give to any prospective brewer is to start simple. There are some top quality kits around - the Brewferm kits are where I re-started 25 or 30 years ago (I had originally brewed using Geordie and Tom Caxton kits which I found to be average at best) and they invariably produce eminently drinkable beer - if you have reasonable equipment.

Therein lies the problem. To produce really good results, you need a few things - fermenter, airlock, either bottles or a barrel (and of course bottles require caps and a capper), steriliser, either a hydrometer or a refractometer so you can determine the OG and finishing gravity (so you can determine whether or not the fermentation has gone to completion) - a basic equipment outlay could be around £100, so you've got to be sure that you really want to do it - one thing I can guarantee though is that you wouldn't be satisfied with kits for ever, and would soon want to move on to all-grain ('proper') brewing.

I thought about selling my old stuff, but the 'old' beer I'm drinking now is utterly magnificent - and it's at least 10 years old. That's one of the benefits of brewing really strong, dark ales - they get better with age. So when Spring arrives, I've got a few jobs to sort out...

1. An outside tap so I can run a hose (or a permanent water supply) out to the shed
  2. Electricity supply to said shed
  3. A sink
  4. A new mash tun with sparge arm attachment
  5. A new boiler (or replace the element in the old one)
  6. A bench
  7. Dexion shelving
  8. Wort pump

So we're looking at about £1000 there. Saying that, I spend at least £2500 on beer for the Memsahib and me every year.

Meanwhile, I've emptied another cupboard, and I've found my old distillation equipment.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Eddie

23 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Samichlaus is a special beer. Not had one in a long time.

It is wonderful.

I've got 4 bottles, but I need to hide them from my son.

It's a beer I thought about cloning in the past, but it requires a long, slow lagering process - basically refrigeration during secondary fermentation for at least 9 months. I just couldn't spare the fridge.

Edited by Eddie

20 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Christmas has come early at the Grumpy household.

In Morrisons by chance (don’t normally shop there) and found this little baby on 4 for 3 at only £2 a pop.

B33CBA0D-A2E9-4CF3-8953-FCEDF5420802.thumb.jpeg.1f102c2d0f90565a5de74f30d79396dd.jpeg

I cleared my local Morrisons out, seemed rude not to at £18 for 12 bottles.

They had this on draught at Einsteins Chesterfield near the train station a month ago. Not sure if it’s a regular beer.

I had two pints of the ABK dunkel wife had two cocktails both very nice.

https://untappd.com/v/einstein-s/3466934