Beer Thread

Cisse

6 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Is this one of Eddies tipples?

image.jpg

Very much so. An absolute classic, and a bargain at £3.50.

St Bernardus brewery used to brew Westvleteren XII for the St Sixtus Monastery in Watou until the 1980's, when production was brought in-house so that Westvleteren beers could then carry the official Trappist logo.

Rather than just close down the process, St Bernardus continued brewing the XII, but changed the name to St Bernardus Abt 12. Meanwhile, the St Sixtus monastery made one change to XII - they changed the yeast culture to that used by Westmalle.

I don't know which beer I prefer - both are wonderful examples of the brewer's art. Westvleteren XII has a cult following - it is very difficult to obtain, so the price tends to get hiked, whereas Tesco started stocking this little bit of Belgian magnificence a few months ago and so it is readily available.

Not my favourite beer, but a solid 2nd or 3rd on my extremely long list.

My favourite is Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - I'm drinking one now, but I've got a dozen Abt 12s in the house.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, sage said:

I'm off the beer for 3 months, so if everyone could not post here till April in solidarity.

?

Same here mate, I’m not drinking until at least after the marathon on 23 April. Might even try to go 6 months. Good luck!

On 02/01/2023 at 22:48, sage said:

I'm off the beer for 3 months, so if everyone could not post here till April in solidarity.

?

I did the 'dry January' job in 2020, just to see if I had the willpower (and working in Norway for some of that time certainly concentrated my mind)!

To my surprise I managed it relatively easily, but come 1st February, I felt no better and my blood pressure was still high, so here ended the lesson for evermore, cheers!

On 18/01/2023 at 12:45, ketteringram said:

Two drinks a week for me would be unbearable. Two a day is my regular consumption.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Two drinks a week for me would be unbearable. Two a day is my regular consumption.

I kind of thought that dropping to that level, of two drinks per week would basically just be pointless, so you may as well stop altogether. Which is kind of what happened to me about 25 years ago. 

Also, I wonder , If someone was going to do that, would they have the two on the same day? Or spread them out a bit ?

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'm drinking one of those now. Pretty good. Not overly spiced as many Christmas beers are.

I also drank the Baladin Christmas Ale that I didn't get around to drinking last Christmas. Very decent also - like a sweet, strong Brown Ale. 

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

I also drank the Baladin Christmas Ale that I didn't get around to drinking last Christmas. Very decent also - like a sweet, strong Brown Ale. 

Never had that one.

I have a couple of St Bernardus Christmas left and a couple of bottles of my favourite Santa beer, Bush/Scaldis Noel, which is like Christmas pudding in a glass. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Never had that one.

I have a couple of St Bernardus Christmas left and a couple of bottles of my favourite Santa beer, Bush/Scaldis Noel, which is like Christmas pudding in a glass. 

Never had the Bush/Scaldis, but very partial to the St Bernardus. 

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

Never had the Bush/Scaldis, but very partial to the St Bernardus. 

They (Brasserie Dubuisson) brew several fabulous beers (and one 'interesting' one).

Bush Ambree (now renamed as 'Charactere') is wonderful. They also do a blended peach beer called Peche Mel which is strangely addictive. Every time I have one, I think "Well, I'm never having another one of those" - and then order another one a few months / weeks / days / hours (delete as appropriate) later.