Beer Thread

Cisse

On 24/07/2022 at 01:05, richinspain said:

Yes. Every now and again there are box sets of 6 Marston's beers in the local Lidl. I normally buy a couple of boxes. I got a friend to try a couple of bottles and he now buys up all the boxes when they go on sale ?

6.49€ the box of 6. My mate bought 18 boxes ?

422C1890-53C1-4129-858D-3FE9E8F3A155.jpeg

Just (3 days ago) ordered 12 x 75 cl Straffe Tripel and 6 x 75 cl Straffe Quad.

I noticed just after I placed the order that the delivery charge (normally €31.50) came to €0.00 - obviously a problem with De Halve Maan website.

Naturally, being an honest person (and De Halve Maan being my favourite brewery in the world), I emailed them immediately about the problem, offering to make a separate payment to cover the shipping.

They fulfilled the order anyway.

On 11/08/2022 at 18:25, Boycie said:

B46177B4-AA14-4EB1-9472-53AA1C4030B4.thumb.jpeg.fc7a58a397b1cec749e6bea038e02f69.jpeg

I even have the correct glass for this monks brew.  
Can’t say I’m that impressed, 6% from Lidl.

No, the Bornem blond is very much a light version from the Van Steenberge stable. The tripel is very good, and the dubbel is my go-to cooking beer. I've still got a load of Van Steenberge boxes from earlier in the year - I think I'll have a Gulden Draak.

Not sure what you mean by 'Monks brew' - Belgians aren't all monks.

Edited by Eddie

On 11/08/2022 at 13:23, Eddie said:

Just (3 days ago) ordered 12 x 75 cl Straffe Tripel and 6 x 75 cl Straffe Quad.

I noticed just after I placed the order that the delivery charge (normally €31.50) came to €0.00 - obviously a problem with De Halve Maan website.

Naturally, being an honest person (and De Halve Maan being my favourite brewery in the world), I emailed them immediately about the problem, offering to make a separate payment to cover the shipping.

They fulfilled the order anyway.

The first Straffe Tripel went down a treat today while watching the cricket.

Ordered Monday evening, shipped via BPost Tuesday, received in UK on Wednesday, Parcel Force Delivery centre Thursday, my house 8:30 am today, into the cold-bag and eventually down the hatch this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

No, the Bornem blond is very much a light version from the Van Steenberge stable. The tripel is very good, and the dubbel is my go-to cooking beer. I've still got a load of Van Steenberge boxes from earlier in the year - I think I'll have a Gulden Draak.

Not sure what you mean by 'Monks brew' - Belgians aren't all monks.

Don’t cancel me,  but I assumed it was brewed by monks, it’s just a habit I need to stop I guess?

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Don’t cancel me,  but I assumed it was brewed by monks, it’s just a habit I need to stop I guess?

No offence taken.

There are just 13 Trappist breweries, and only 10 of those are currently permitted to display the 'ATP' (Authentic Trappist Product) logo...

• Westmalle (Belgium)
  • Westvleteren (Belgium)
  • Chimay (Belgium)
  • Rochefort (Belgium)
  • Orval (Belgium)
  • La Trappe (Netherlands)
  • Zundert (Netherlands)
  • Engelszell (Austria)
  • Tre Fontane (Italy)
  • Mount St Bernard (England)

The 3 not permitted to display the logo are...

• Mont Des Cats (France)
  • Cardeña (Spain)
  • Achel (Belgium)

This is because monks are not directly involved in the brewing process - instead, a local brewery brews the beer for them within the confines of the monastery.

Until a couple of months ago, Spencer Monastery in the USA was also an authentic Trappist brewery, but it has now closed. Unfortunately, Americans seem content with bloody Budweiser.

Edited by Eddie

On 13/08/2022 at 13:58, Boycie said:

There’s a 440ml tin of beer here in the Furnace called “Cloudwater-The iceberg (TIPA). 11%”

wait for it……..£13.10 a can!!!

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Some beer prices take the Mickey. I blame Brewdog for bringing out silly beers, like their "End of History", presented in a dead squirrel at £500 a pop.

On 13/08/2022 at 13:58, Boycie said:

There’s a 440ml tin of beer here in the Furnace called “Cloudwater-The iceberg (TIPA). 11%”

wait for it……..£13.10 a can!!!

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

The problem there is that Pedro's a rip-off merchant and prices in The Furnace are often about 20-30% higher than you'd be charged elsewhere.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 hour ago, Coconut's Beard said:

The problem there is that Pedro's a rip-off merchant and prices in The Furnace are often about 20-30% higher than you'd be charged elsewhere.

Online retailers are selling it for £11.00 a tin - is 20% an unfair mark-up for a pub on bottles and cans? 

I've never thought of the Furnace as a rip-off place, but anyroad I don't think Pedro runs it now, he just advise them on their own brewing while he runs Shiny from Little Eaton AFAIAA.

21 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Online retailers are selling it for £11.00 a tin - is 20% an unfair mark-up for a pub on bottles and cans? 

I've never thought of the Furnace as a rip-off place, but anyroad I don't think Pedro runs it now, he just advise them on their own brewing while he runs Shiny from Little Eaton AFAIAA.

If you're using Brew Cavern as the price for online retailers then they've also always had higher prices than eslewhere. I saw one shop had it for just under £9 and another just over a tenner so it varies quite a bit. Hard to know what it originally sold for straight from Cloudwater as it's a limited release which is now unavailable direct.

Pedro might not run it now, but he set the tone for the place and it's generally continued in that trend because that's what their customers are used to paying. Shiny beer itself always seems pretty costly too tbh, for saying it's really rather average in comparison to some of those they deem contemporaries.

Same as the Derby Brewing Company's stuff, far too much pricey the actual quality of their produce.

Maybe rip-off merchant was the wrong term, but they have always had a higher mark-up than other pubs on the kegs and cans, it's simply the way it is. I think £12 would probably have been a fairer price, maybe £12.50 at a push but certainly not £13.10.

Boycie would still have complained about it though.

I do actually really like the Furnace btw, for the most part.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

6 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

If you're using Brew Cavern as the price for online retailers then they've also always had higher prices than eslewhere. I saw one shop had it for just under £9 and another just over a tenner so it varies quite a bit. Hard to know what it originally sold for straight from Cloudwater as it's a limited release which is now unavailable direct.

Pedro might not run it now, but he set the tone for the place and it's generally continued in that trend because that's what their customers are used to paying. Shiny beer itself always seems pretty costly too tbh, for saying it's really rather average in comparison to some of those they deem contemporaries.

Same as the Derby Brewing Company's stuff, far too much pricey the actual quality of their produce.

Maybe rip-off merchant was the wrong term, but they have always had a higher mark-up than other pubs on the kegs and cans, it's simply the way it is. I think £12 would probably have been a fairer price.

TBH I've never really clocked the prices in there as being out of the ordinary for Derby, unless your comparing them to Wetherspoons. I'm just basing it on the fact that one particular group of mates who go in there fairly regularly wouldn't do so if they thought it was a rip-off. 'Careful with money' doesn't quite do them justice!

3 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Maybe rip-off merchant was the wrong term, but they have always had a higher mark-up than other pubs on the kegs and cans, it's simply the way it is. I think £12 would probably have been a fairer price, maybe £12.50 at a push but certainly not £13.10.

I do actually really like the Furnace btw, for the most part.

Some of there keg real ale is £3 a pint, I’ll admit some of the stuff aimed at the hipsters is a bit dear, but I don’t drink that stuff.