Christie

Woodley Ram

Just read in the DT that Clement told him he was not in his plans last year and was trying to get rid of him, what a terrible thing to be told and well done to him for fighting his way back. 

I know he has his knockers but I think he does a good job and is probably one of the best attacking right backs, OK his defending can be a little hit and miss at times but he is young and learning his trade. 

I for one am glad he didn't go.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with being told they are not in the manager's plans. It's like the Joe Hart situation at Man City,sometimes they don't fit into the manager's ideas. A lot of ex footballers say that they preferred their managers to be honest rather than not telling them straight. 

I like Christie , I think since he has been at Derby, he has improved every season, and I feel he will get better and better with time, he is strong, athletic, and quick, and I think his defending is getting better all the time under Pearsons guidance. And for the fee we payed for him , I believe in the region of 300 thousand pounds? What is he worth now 5 million plus.

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

Just read in the DT that Clement told him he was not in his plans last year and was trying to get rid of him, what a terrible thing to be told and well done to him for fighting his way back. 

I know he has his knockers but I think he does a good job and is probably one of the best attacking right backs, OK his defending can be a little hit and miss at times but he is young and learning his trade. 

I for one am glad he didn't go.

If he could actually put a ball in the box without taking 2 extra touches and having to check back to Ince  (who comes inside as predictable as a crooked politician), I would agree. 

Personally, if I was a half decent left back, I would relish facing those two. 

37 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

In today's crazy market he could be? He is 24 years old he plays for his country, he is getting better all the time, and he gets forward well, not many better right backs in the championship.

If his defensive attributes were as good as his attacking ones, he would be playing for a Premiership side. I like him, but if some one offered more then three million for him I'd take it.

Every time we play on TV or are reported on, Christie's name is mentioned as the one lively player. He's involved in a lot of the attacking play we do and is complimented a lot by the pundits of the championship.

Like a lot of people say, lacks a bit of end product but that can be worked on. Crosses are over rated these days. It's all about coming inside and working the opportunity. Crosses rely on a bit of luck.

I'm very rarely negative about derby and like to support my team wherever possible, I don't go to constantly criticise the team like some but , Cyrus is really not good enough , I believe many look at Cyrus with rose tinted glasses , which is not necessary a bad thing because I presume I do with certain players . I just don't believe Cyrus has the quality to play at this level let al9ne any higher, I really hope one day he can prove me wrong but I doubt it . 

To be fair he looked awful towards the end of the season before Clement came in. Clement made that decision with sound judgement at the time, in my opinion. Most of us were willing to get rid of Christie too, but fair play to the bloke for showing us up and claiming his place back. He's a talent, and just needs the right coaching and team tactics around him to fully realise his potential on the pitch.

It was clear at the time that playing for the Republic gave him a massive boost, and the interview confirms it. Cyrus has a huge amount of skill, even down to being a regular with the Laudrup turn, which is unusual and impressive for a right back. And his athleticism is amazing. For all the talk of Wisdom coming in, I'd say Christie is the better player who will go further in the game.

He's got to make better decisions and know when to put the ball into the box quickly rather than turning round, passing back to Keogh, and beginning the slow buildup again. He also needs to improve his shooting. And when I talk about getting the ball into the box more quickly, he needs forwards who willl gamble and make those runs expecting him to deliver. It may be we have those forwards after the transfer window.

Archived