DeAndre Yedlin - Signed for Newcastle

BuckoBeast

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

There's one problem. Christie has year left on his contract so he might be developing somewhere else...

I didn't know he only had a year left, well that fully explains why we have been linked to so many right backs, I am guessing but Derby surly have an operating policy that they sell anyone of value with only a year or under left on their contract who haven't accepted a new deal, I suspect that is what happened with Keogh recently? - we will see if Christie signs a new deal or is sold off by at the latest January.

I'm so happy that Pearson confirmed what a lot of posters have stated over the past season "we only want players that are quality and will improve what we have"

Some need to read that, once a day, and just soak it in. Sure, some of the players we've been linked with may end up going to other clubs and it look like we've missed out. But we have no idea about fee, wages, and whether Pearson felt they were best option compared to others out there. Not one player we have been linked with has been head and shoulders above this division, some have been top end quality, but not enough for me to scream "get him NOW!"

If we signed half the players we've been linked with, we would have a first team squad of about 30-35. And we complain our squad is bloated now!

2 weeks left, wait and see. Quality over quantity.

2 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I'm so happy that Pearson confirmed what a lot of posters have stated over the past season "we only want players that are quality and will improve what we have"

Some need to read that, once a day, and just soak it in. Sure, some of the players we've been linked with may end up going to other clubs and it look like we've missed out. But we have no idea about fee, wages, and whether Pearson felt they were best option compared to others out there. Not one player we have been linked with has been head and shoulders above this division, some have been top end quality, but not enough for me to scream "get him NOW!"

If we signed half the players we've been linked with, we would have a first team squad of about 30-35. And we complain our squad is bloated now!

2 weeks left, wait and see. Quality over quantity.

Completely agree. Too often in the past we've made the mistake of failing to bring players in who have not been significantly better than what we had. No more please

Hello Derby supporters and fans alike. I come here to speak about DeAndre and give what I can give on his bio, background, and whatever else I can lay out. I preface what I am about to say with; I have only watched your beloved football club a hand full of times the last 2-3 years. If DeAndre was fortunate enough to find his way to Derby then that would change abruptly and I would find every match that I could find access too. This will be a long post and I apologize if that upsets anyone.

Anyways, on to the point of my post. I have watched DeAndre since he became a part of the Sounders youth system. Ive seen him play live or via TV/PC approximately 115 times. Many for club and the 39 caps for USA since 2014. He is the most capped player for Jurgen Klinsmann in that time span. He has played RM and mostly RB for USA. For the Sounders he was purely a RB. For Sunderland he played, I believe, twice as a RM/RWB and then the rest at RB.

DeAndre was born fatherless as he was in prison and to a mother who was too strung out to raise him. Thus he was raised by his grandparents and his uncle. His uncle was a key cog in DeAndre being able to train in our broken American Academy, pay for play, system. DeAndre didnt commit to the sport until very late. He dabbled with a couple academies in the Seattle area prior to full commitment but only on a seasonal basis. He has now been committed to the sport for 6 full seasons. Im guessing not many players have played the sport for 6 years and made 20+ appearances in the Premier League.

He went to Akron University and was coached by one of the best young coaches in American soccer, and is the current coach of the defending MLS Champions...named Caleb Porter. At that time Caleb Porter moved Yedlin from a wide mid to Right Back. That was when his pace became apparent to many scouts. He ran a 4.25 40 consistently (for reference Bellerin runs a 4.4 according to Theo Walcott at the time of Theo's Arsenal speed record being broken).

Yedlin broke thru into the Sounders 1st team, usurping Adam Johannson who at the time was Sweden's RB on the international level. He went on to be the first rookie all star in MLS in years. The following season, the best the Sounders ever had, he broke thru with the USMNT. He went to the World Cup to everyone's surprise (including mine) and came on to rave reviews in the first half against Belgium and gave Eden Hazard all he could handle on that particular day.

After the WC; Roma, Napoli, Liverpool, Spurs, an unnamed German and Spanish club, among others like Anderlecht wanted his services. DeAndre wanted a move to England. Seattle turned down 7 million from Roma to facilitate Yedlin's desires to play in England. Thus he went to Spurs. Everyone knew at that time that Spurs wanted him to get acclimated to England in the second half of the 2014-15 season. He made one 11 minute cameo against Villa. Thus it was on to Sunderland.

Advocaat fancied Yedlin and brought him in. Then he resigned after 9 games. Big Sam spoke about him not trusting a 22 year old to help stave off relegation. Then Billy Jones played terribly and Yedlin got his chance and never looked back. Big Sam did wonders to his defensive play and while there was the occasional mistake, the offensive minded fullback became what seemingly was a vast transition to being a better defensive player. Big Sam wanted him back at Sunderland. Then BSA moved on to the England job. That is why Moyes has been looking elsewhere because it was Big Sam, and his more defensive approach, that wanted him. Whether Sunderland still fancy him, I dunno...there are mixed signals given.

All in all, DeAndre is still new to the sport albeit held his own at the Premier League level in what some may call the most trying of circumstances..a team on the brink of relegation. He helped,albeit he was definitely not the reason,  to stave that off.

Yedlin is likely the fastest RB in England at this time. Heck he would be among the top 10 fastest NFL players clocked if he played that "other" football. He has made tremendous strides defensively. He is one of only a couple USA players penciled into the first team for Jurgen Klinsmann. He is likely gonna peak later due to his late start in the sport. Right now its like he is 21 and not 23 (just turned 23). I think he would be a fantastic addition to a Championship side with Promotion aspirations. He also is a blue collar type player who I have never seen play at half speed or not give his all for the badge.

Whether Yedlin would be a step up from Christie, I cannot say as that would be unfair for me to assert as I have only seen Christie play a handful of times. I think DeAndre has a way higher ceiling than what he has seen thus far and his floor is much higher as well. If Alan Hinton could give more than a 140 characters tweet about him, he would speak glowingly about the former Sounder. Either way, if he does end up with your club or not, I wish nothing but the best for everyone here and I hope you guys gain, which in my estimation, is a deserved promotion soon. I will check in and respond to any questions you may have. Sorry again for the longevity but I know that when people have came into a Sounders site and gave a bio about a player that our fans may not know too much about that its usually gone over well.

@DirtyDishFC - thanks fella. When he was first mooted as a possible signing I was quite excited.  I'm even more so now.  Some folk seem to think it's an either or thing with Christie but I'm wondering whether he might be used as as a right mid / winger in which case both could be accomodated.  I think Ince and Camara would be more productive on the left flank and his pace would give any Championship defence nightmares.

Do you have any inkling what  his preference would be if us and Villa are in the frame?  Also how do you rate his crossing ability?

A derby fan I know who lives in America is excited by the prospect of us signing Yedlin, and thinks he should be played as a winger ahead of Christie rather than replacing him.

i remember seeing him play once for Sunderland on the telly, he played pretty well that day.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

@DirtyDishFC - thanks fella. When he was first mooted as a possible signing I was quite excited.  I'm even more so now.  Some folk seem to think it's an either or thing with Christie but I'm wondering whether he might be used as as a right mid / winger in which case both could be accomodated.  I think Ince and Camara would be more productive on the left flank and his pace would give any Championship defence nightmares.

Do you have any inkling what  his preference would be if us and Villa are in the frame?  Also how do you rate his crossing ability?

I think he is capable of playing there but his crossing can be inconsistent and he isnt much of a goal threat. He has 2 goals to his name as a pro and one was in his debut in Concacaf Champions League which was from about 30-35 yards. I think he would be serviceable there and maybe a rotation with Christie would be ideal. That way in the games that Chrstie starts Yedlin could be used as a sub on the wing to go more defensive if protecting leads, since he can stretch the field in counter attacks against tired defenses but also provide cover on the left flank. Obviously he could start out there some as well. I just wouldnt expect goals but he has a few assists for the US while being deployed wide...he is very adept at cutbacks and his crossing can be good if somewhat indecisive at times (I think it was confidence last year as a first year player trying to make his way into the first team).

I do know that Spurs this preseason deployed him at LB, something I have never seen him do, and by many accounts he looked better at LB than Trippier did for them at RB against Atletico Madrid and Inter. So he could probably provide cover there even though you are adequately two deep in that rotation from what I can see. Another positive for anyone that acquires Yedlin is the potential return on investment. MLS has shown a tendency to buy back American stars if things dont work out which I am sure is something going on inside any clubs thought process.

So yes, he can play wide, but most suitable at RB. His pace though is always dangerous even if he doesnt touch the ball because of the space he creates. In my honest opinion, he is capable of starting at a lower Premier league level team today. His pace is world class (and that word is overused way too much) and his recovery speed is rarely seen.

Pearson certainly does like his full backs to be quick, De Laet and Schlupp spring to mind. De Laet destroyed us whenever we played Leicester and his speed allowed him to quickly get back into position whenever Leicester lost the ball, making it harder for us to counter attack.

Archived