Jeff Hendrick - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

30 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

To be honest I have always liked Jeff, and I think he could be exactly the sort of guy Pearson would go for. ie. good engine.

Value wise if he were to go after a succesful Euro 2016 I think must be £6m, he is still young enough to be improving.

I also feel that he really went up in my estimation when he played CDM versus Hull, with the exception of Thorne I think he was the best I have seen there. Will ran him close but for me we are a better side with Will further forward. But the beuty of Jeff is he could play with George and Will to. George CDM, Will the Fancy Dan and Jeff the box to box enigine room bit.

With regards to his performance at Hull, I agree that he was brilliant. However, that was an oddity of a game. We were pretty much gung-ho for the entire match whilst they effectively parked the bus. Defending wise he didn't have a lot to do. He's been tried in the CDM position multiple times in the past and looked like a fish out of water. Don't let one good game cloud your judgement.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DerbyPride said:

With regards to his performance at Hull, I agree that he was brilliant. However, that was an oddity of a game. We were pretty much gung-ho for the entire match whilst they effectively parked the bus. Defending wise he didn't have a lot to do. He's been tried in the CDM position multiple times in the past and looked like a fish out of water. Don't let one good game cloud your judgement.

Ahhh see but I think there's a lesson there too... None of this 'cautious building play' nonsense... Play every game like you're 3 0 down over two legs and we'll pound this division...

Don't need a DM if your forwards do all your defending in their half :) 

Pretty weak offer given the market at the minute but who accepts the first bid for a player anyway?

Interested to see who made the bid public. Suspect it was probably ourselves in the hope of getting others involved to get others to drive his price upwards.

3 minutes ago, TopRam said:

The fact they are holding out for 20 million for Keane but are offering 3 for Jeff is just laughable 

Exactly. Purely insulting!

Out of all the positions in the team where we have plenty of depth it is CM so we can afford to lose one. Hendrick is one of those player capable of so much but very often his performances leave much to be desired. I feel that Pearson will like the look of Hendrick though.

£3.5 Mil is derisory to put it lightly. If they want £20mil for Keane we need at least £10Mil for Jeff and thats if we wanted to sell, the guy is 24 coming to the prime of his career and is a fully fledged international. Then again this is Sean 'Shoe string budget' Dyche we are talking about.

A team isn't going to bid their highest offer first. It's a test the water bid. Just like Derby will never accept the first offer. Remember we bid 1m to start of the Shackell bidding. Burnley, rightly thought that was laughable too. The other increased by over 3x. Not saying that Shackell and Hendrick are the same because of age and position, but it's the same sort of scenario 

So Premiership clubs are coming in for Hendrick but we don't hear a thing about anyone wanting Johnson or Butterfield. That personally shows me something about how our players are rated.

I hope we don't sell Jeff, he has a very important role to play IMO.

Low ball offer to disrupt the player so he hands in a transfer request?

I like Jeff as a player and it would be interesting to see if Pearson can get him playing like he did at the Euros. But for me it makes sense to sell our academy players at their highest point of value. Isn't that kind of the point, and the self-sustainable model we are aiming for in the long run? Cash in, take a profit and reinvest, ready for the next Jeff Hendrick. 

Just now, cosmic said:

Jeff isn't that stupid to do that. 

Just now, cosmic said:

I like Jeff as a player and it would be interesting to see if Pearson can get him playing like he did at the Euros. But for me it makes sense to sell our academy players at their highest point of value. Isn't that kind of the point, and the self-sustainable model we are aiming for in the long run? Cash in, take a profit and reinvest, ready for the next Jeff Hendrick. 

He's not going to hand in a transfer request to play for Burnley and get relegated.

If a club comes in that's a genuinely exciting opportunity for him with a low ball offer then maybe (I don't mean just top teams either, just anyone who Jeff would likely feel as though he's not going to be in a hard relegation scrap. I just can't see Hendrick performing in a team that's being stifled).

When all of our midfield options are available I'm not sure he's a starter for Derby County.

Let's not pretend he's a world-beater.

I'll wager we could find more composed technical midfielders in the Spanish or Italian leagues for the same price.

If we are afraid of change we will get what we've got in the past few seasons- narrow failure.

45 minutes ago, DerbyPride said:

Fair enough - I think that is the only time I have seen him in there.

I reckon Jeff will be gone this window, too much of a buzz around him and he's not even our best central midfielder (50% of the time he's not even top 3). Someone who tempts him is going to make an offer that matches the club's valuation.

Archived