Jeff Hendrick - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

Hendrick has improved of late, there is definitely no urgency to sell him.  Obviously if more than 8m comes in it would make sense to strengthen a couple of other positions and let him move on.  Or give the whole 8m to Hughes to stay.  Either would be ok.  

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason we should sell Hendrick is that he wants to go. His best years are ahead of him. At Hull he played the "Thorne" role better than Thorne!! His performances in the Euros showed he is maturing. If we went up Hendrick is one player that will cope. Keep him!!

5 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

The only reason we should sell Hendrick is that he wants to go. His best years are ahead of him. At Hull he played the "Thorne" role better than Thorne!! His performances in the Euros showed he is maturing. If we went up Hendrick is one player that will cope. Keep him!!

I'm not saying Jeff is a bad player but he makes the most sense to sell . The central midfield areas are over crowded to say the least if we play a 2 in midfield that leaves potentially 7 players for 2 postions . So someone needs to go , bar hughes (who I would not sell because he's the future of this club ) Jeff would demand the highest fee , especially after the hype from the euros , he has 2 years left on his contract and in all fairness he's not the most consistent player now is he ? 

Riddings...i understand Hendrick would apart from command the highest fee but is that really what we are after? Just money? We only need tweaking in my opinion to get up. Hughes & Hendrick are just about ready to dominate this league. It would be a shame to sell either one now. After all the money spent i think its 2 of our own who will have the biggest impact this season. 

34 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Yes Hendrick played well that night. But I'm fat and unfit and could have played that role on the night. 

2 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Riddings...i understand Hendrick would apart from command the highest fee but is that really what we are after? Just money? We only need tweaking in my opinion to get up. Hughes & Hendrick are just about ready to dominate this league. It would be a shame to sell either one now. After all the money spent i think its 2 of our own who will have the biggest impact this season. 

We're not just after money no , not at all , but we need to be sensible about it . Every player has a price and I just personally think now is the perfect time to sell then re invest in areas of the pitch that are a little weaker . There's no bottomless pit and ffp and balancing the books needs to be adhered too aswell . 

I cannot help but think that we would have a stronger team if we sold Hendrick for £8 million and Pearson bought three or four players with the money, just because of Pearson's buying and selling record. I think that we will keep Hendrick until Xmas. If he is the same as last season then he is less likely to be a regular starter under Pearson as he has too many uninfluential games.

De Laat,Matty James and McManaman would cost a bit more than £8m. I wouldn't sell Hendrick pure and simple. He is ready to be a massive part of the side. Going up is worth a lot more than selling Hendrick to bring in players no better than what we have. People who say spend money on players works should look at Bradley Johnson. A promotion winner...£6m worth...and wouldn't get in 95% of Derby fans side.

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I agree, if selling Hendrick meant we signed Da Laat, Matty James and McMannaman then that isn't bad business.

Disagree. Three players that don't outright improve us, likely don't start and don't have the same potential - nor are they academy products!

Just now, DazzaRam said:

De Laat,Matty James and McManaman would cost a bit more than £8m. I wouldn't sell Hendrick pure and simple. He is ready to be a massive part of the side. Going up is worth a lot more than selling Hendrick to bring in players no better than what we have. People who say spend money on players works should look at Bradley Johnson. A promotion winner...£6m worth...and wouldn't get in 95% of Derby fans side.

Ironically, before his few good games at the Euros neither would Hendrick.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Disagree. Three players that don't outright improve us, likely don't start and don't have the same potential - nor are they academy products!

How long should we wait for Hendrick to turn that potential into consistent, effective performances on a week to week basis. At 24, surely he should be in his prime and I don't accept that a couple of good (not great by any stretch of the imagination) show that he's reached that point. 

I'm comfortable either way - sell him now and probably get as good a fee as we're ever likely to receive or wait until the January window to see whether Pearson has been able to bring out that potential. The risk is that he still might be unable to deliver the level of consistency and hold down a regular starting place, the Euros would be a distant memory and his transfer fee would have fallen, although I think he would  still have another 18 months left on his contract.

53 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Last season, he created and scored more goals than Jeff. And did more graft. Yet it's unanimous on here that Johnson had a poor to average season. Which doesn't say much for Jeff's. 

I think people are letting Jeff's last game of the season and two decent games in the Euro's cloud their judgment. He's a very talented footballer who struggles to show that on anywhere close to a regular basis. 

Sort of player that with the right manager and right attitude, could go to the Prem and thrive there. But without that, he'll remain a maybe man. Up to him really. But  he's just as likely (probably more so) to be in L1 within a couple of years. Which is why I'd move him on if it's correct that clubs actually want to pay us silly money for him. If Leeds are getting £5m+ for Cook, then I'd want at least that for Hendrick. 

43 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

How long should we wait for Hendrick to turn that potential into consistent, effective performances on a week to week basis. At 24, surely he should be in his prime and I don't accept that a couple of good (not great by any stretch of the imagination) show that he's reached that point. 

I'm comfortable either way - sell him now and probably get as good a fee as we're ever likely to receive or wait until the January window to see whether Pearson has been able to bring out that potential. The risk is that he still might be unable to deliver the level of consistency and hold down a regular starting place, the Euros would be a distant memory and his transfer fee would have fallen, although I think he would  still have another 18 months left on his contract.

If the right offer for him is there then I'd look at it but I wouldn't seek to get rid. Especially not for those three mentioned. That said, if we had to get rid of one central midfielder I'd look to sell Bryson first who's 30, has 4 years left on his contract and is picking up more and more injuries. 

8 hours ago, DazzaRam said:

He would definately get in my side. Mind you I do play Sunday league division 4 

You can say a lot of Derby players are inconsistent. Bryson had an impact when he came back from injury but then was very quiet last 5 games. The signs are there from Hendrick that he can be/or ready to be a massive player for us. He is 23/24..brimming with confidence. Id be very sad to see him go. But I do understand every player has a price. I trust Nigel Pearson to do the right thing.

Coming back from a great Euro tournament for him. Coming into his prime.

A new manager who maybe will get the best out of all our players, not just him.

Give the lad a chance. So pleased that most of you were not appointed manager this season.

Archived