Jeff Hendrick - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

10 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I'm talking about his time with Derby - he was excellent at the Euros.

So do I. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get why people are getting precious about a reasonable bid for a player still struggling to hold down a position at a club he's been at for five years+.

I like that we're looking to get more than his worth, because I think 3.5m more than covers it, but I hope it leads to a sale.

I don't have the faith in his ability that he will become a fixture in our team. In fact, I hold about as much hope for him making an impact for us than I do Bradley Johnson.

The main difference is that Johnson HAS shown it before, whereas Hendrick has shown only glimpses. 

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

No we always know where he is... Mostly because we're pointing at him and asking why he's playing so badly this week when he had a stormer last week...

So we should be playing him on the right side of a midfield 4?

actually his first game at the euros he was left coming into the middle which I thought he performed well, if the midfield changes weekly your never going to optimise a players attributes if the bloke next to you changes on a weekly basis, if you ask me we have too many players vying for midfield births, I would take him RCM of a midfield 4 :)

1 minute ago, LesterRam said:

actually his first game at the euros he was left coming into the middle which I thought he performed well, if the midfield changes weekly your never going to optimise a players attributes if the bloke next to you changes on a weekly basis, if you ask me we have too many players vying for midfield births, I would take him RCM of a midfield 4 :)

So he played different positions for Ireland then.

3 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

1 minute ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

THIS

Also... You're now saying you'd play him in the same position he usually plays for us (CM) and NOT the position he played well in for Ireland?

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't get why people are getting precious about a reasonable bid for a player still struggling to hold down a position at a club he's been at for five years+.

I like that we're looking to get more than his worth, because I think 3.5m more than covers it, but I hope it leads to a sale.

I don't have the faith in his ability that he will become a fixture in our team. In fact, I hold about as much hope for him making an impact for us than I do Bradley Johnson.

The main difference is that Johnson HAS shown it before, whereas Hendrick has shown only glimpses. 

don't you like the fact that he cost nowt, I find it special when a young lad comes through the ranks and makes the grade.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

True, however you didn't have faith in Chris Martins ability either....I think you ranked sammon as higher in the pecking order if memory serves me right ;)

With enough time, you could put a hell of a YouTube compilation together for Hendrick. He's scored pretty much every type of goal for us. Long range screamers, headers, volleys, a winner against our arch rivals when we were down to 10 men. He can also do pretty much anything on the ball. Pirouettes, close dribbling, powerful running. Pretty much the only thing he doesn't do is incisive through-balls.

The problem is that he's so inconsistent at showing his ability. He can be so outstanding in one match and then so mediocre the next. Hughes, Bryson, Thorne, you know what you're getting. They all have bad games but they never disappear. Hendrick, though, is a complete wildcard who has big peaks and troughs. I can't see him consistently holding down a position in a top league anywhere to be honest, as talented as he is.

5 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

no what I am saying is he played well in LM, RCM and AM (briefly) for Ireland, he isn't given a chance with the abundance of midfielders and tactic changes we have at Derby, he played much better at the back end of our current season and he passed the form onto the Euro's, if he was poor you wouldn't have £3.5m offers roll in :p

39 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

he didn't go missing for Ireland? tactics? position? time of the month? a run in the team in the same position?

5 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

no what I am saying is he played well in LM, RCM and AM (briefly) for Ireland, he isn't given a chance with the abundance of midfielders and tactic changes we have at Derby, he played much better at the back end of our current season and he passed the form onto the Euro's, if he was poor you wouldn't have £3.5m offers roll in :p

So you're saying we should shape the team/tactics/formation around Hendrick?

I'd do it around Hughes personally...

And I'd suggest the reason he isn't given a chance at Derby is that our other CMs have been more consistent and generally better...

Just now, cheron85 said:

So you're saying we should shape the team/tactics/formation around Hendrick?

I'd do it around Hughes personally...

And I'd suggest the reason he isn't given a chance at Derby is that our other CMs have been more consistent and generally better...

no but lets keep him in the team in the same position, I think I remember him even taking up the right back birth briefly :huh:

regarding the "consistent midfielders" really, do you read the posts on this forum? Bradley Johnson has been quoted as "probably the worst midfielder" and the "easily the best midfielder in the championship" in the same thread :lol:

4 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

regarding the "consistent midfielders" really, do you read the posts on this forum? Bradley Johnson has been quoted as "probably the worst midfielder" and the "easily the best midfielder in the championship" in the same thread :lol:

Not a fan of him either but it doesn't change my opinion of Hendrick.

We have three, other, excellent midfielders who are all consistent.

5 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Not a fan of him either but it doesn't change my opinion of Hendrick.

We have three, other, excellent midfielders who are all consistent.

I suppose he divides opinion our Jeff, I personally think he is a decent player and I am insulted by the £3m offer.

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

he didn't go missing for Ireland? tactics? position? time of the month? a run in the team in the same position?

But he's been the first team squad for 6 years, played under 4 managers and still isn't one of the first midfielders on the team sheet.

Granted he played very well in one match, well in another but in the remaining two they were performances similar to the majority for us, with little or no influence on the game.

57 minutes ago, Grantona said:

This time last year, most people were laughing and said Barton would be a "flop" at Burnley.

The same player can be good at one club and poor at another club.

Don't agree - Barton was good at QPR as well and but for his chequered past, many on here would have signed him.

Archived