Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

To an extent I think this summer will be addition by subtraction. 

@Carl Sagan is very right, most of our players don't have much liquidity considering their big contracts and a general reluctance to sell at a loss. That being said, I'd do everything to get rid of Johnson, even if we had to take a £3m loss on him or something daft. Norwich might pay a reasonable amount to have him back considering he fitted really well their under Neill. Camara will want to leave and I'm sure we could find a buyer back in France. I'm torn between giving Blackman - who was great earlier in the season for Reading - another chance, or moving him on. I'd rather keep Weimann though and I don't think there would be space for the two of them even if we switch to a front 2.

We also will have to get rid of some of the players with actual value. Hendrick is the most likely departure imo, perhaps Aston Villa come back in for him. I also think we could get a team to overpay for Keogh and wouldn't mind letting him move on. Similarly, Russell would go for more than his actual value, imo. Finally, if we had a shot at replacing Martin with McCormack, we have to pull that trigger. Any chance we could give Fulham Martin + £3m for him?

That leaves us theoretically short a midfielder and a defender. In midfield I'd look to the in-house candidates - Guy/Calero could fill in in Hendrick's spot. Potential signings at CB might be John Egan or Aden Flint. If Walsall don't go up I think Romaine Sawyers would be a good and cheap buy.

So my theoretical squad would look something like:

Goalkeepers: Carson, Grant

Defenders: Christie, Shackell, Flint/Egan, Buxton, Rawson, Forsyth, Olsson

Midfielders: Thorne, Hanson, Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Ince, Sawyers, Guy, Calero

Strikers: McCormack, Bent, Weimann, Zanzala

With a potential starting XI of

Carson

Christie Shackell Buxton Olsson

Thorne

Hughes Bryson

Ince

McCormack Weimann

Bench: Grant, Hanson, Flint/Egan, Butterfield, Sawyers, Zanzala, Bent.

But as others have said the first priority has to be getting in a new manager. QSF probably the best choice who might consider dropping down. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind signings, our biggest problem will be offloading the ones we don't want. Can't see anybody paying the money we are to the likes of Grant, Shotton, Albentosa, Pearce, Baird, Johnson, Weimann, Blackman, Bent & Camara >>> shifting this little lot is a priority before we even think about signings. In fact we could shift the lot of them, sign nobody, and still have a squad of:

Carson, Mitchell

Christie, Stabana

Keogh, Shackell, Rawson, Buxton

Forsyth, Olsson, Lowe

Thorne, Hanson

Hughes, Butterfield

Bryson, Hendrick

Ince, Calero

Martin, Zanzala

Russell, Elsnik

... by my reckoning it's the front 3 we'd need to bulk up 1st assuming we could shift the deadwood listed above.

We did not fail to get promotion because of Bradley Johnson. We were fifth in the League. That was our level. the four teams above us were better than us. Two were in the Premier League last year and had a lot of money to spend. Boro lost in the Play Off Final last year. Brighton had a great season. We could realistically expect to lose to any of those four teams over two legs.We hammered Hull 4 - 0 at home when they had a a very bad day. They turned the tables on us yesterday and will probably be promoted. Next season we need to aim for the Play Offs and the following year if we are not promoted, we should aim for automatic promotion with a realistic chance of staying up. We may lose Will Hughes and George Thorne in the next two years. We cannot stand in their way, they are high quality players who may well attract really good bids.COYR

I think a new manager would want to purge the soft underbelly of DCFC with a big clear-out. It will be sad to see him go but Will Hughes deserves better than the players around him.

I agree with other posters that we might have trouble getting rid of a lot of them. I have spoken before of the lack of footballing nous in this group. The instincts to pass at the right time and to sniff out danger just aren't there. 

There's talent but yesterday the work rate was poor. The first few times the ball went to Russell and Ince they looked asleep.

A new broom is required and we might be cheering on a very different team next year. It may take time to get right, it may even be less easy on the eye at times, but hopefully it will be a team who know how to win tough matches.

On 13 May 2016 at 12:24, McLovin said:

he is a better player than Blackman and Weimann so we can cut our losses on them

Unfortunately, they both have 3 years left on their contract and are on very lucrative contracts, so unless you can identify a couple of clubs willing to take a gamble on these, we are not going to be able to do that.

Yesterday , it was quite obvious to me that we lacked a leader , the team rolled over and nobody stood up and led by example , so i think our first signing should be a captain and leader , my choice isnt going to be popular , but here goes , Joey Barton

6 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Yesterday , it was quite obvious to me that we lacked a leader , the team rolled over and nobody stood up and led by example , so i think our first signing should be a captain and leader , my choice isnt going to be popular , but here goes , Joey Barton

Correct about needing a 'proper leader' but Barton will be playing in the prem next year 

18 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

If we are replacing Martin (emphasis if) 

Davie Selke from RB Leipzig! Young, tall and surprisingly nippy to say how tall he is 

The one who Leipzig (aided by the Red Bull company) paid 8 million euros for only a year ago. 

Archived