Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

4 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Veloso seems like a possibility but I think Carrick would probably be too ambitious. 

McCormack would be a good signing if we went up imo, he's carried a rubbish Fulham team.

McCormack would be good if we stay down or go up ! 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Isn't he rumoured to be going to Tottenham? They were definitely interested. If Spurs get him I can't see them letting him go, much like Dele Alli. Spurs are in the tricky position where they only have one striker - Harry Kane. They won't replace Kane, nor will they need to. They then have the issue of needing to find strikers who are good enough but at the same time willing to spend a lot of their season on the bench. It's a difficult task. But they'll need a bigger squad for the Champions League. Kane won't be able to play every PL game and every Champions League game. Think Dembele is a bit ambitious regardless of what league we're in.

I agree with you mate but i was surprised when they didn't bring anyone in (Berahino) technically Son can play there but nobody is convinced with him.

But Dembele could go to Arsenal or another top half team.

Another alternative could be Traore from Chelsea, he looks like a good striker for his age, a year on loan could be perfect for him

1 minute ago, Dale The Ram said:

I agree with you mate but i was surprised when they didn't bring anyone in (Berahino) technically Son can play there but nobody is convinced with him.

But Dembele could go to Arsenal or another top half team.

Another alternative could be Traore from Chelsea, he looks like a good striker for his age, a year on loan could be perfect for him

Only if Traore starts for us though. He is currently Chelsea's 2nd striker. Can't see him coming here to be backup to Martin

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

You can argue all you like over whether whoever we've got lined up is better than Russell or Ince or whoever we've got, but in reality you need around 3/4 good wingers because they'll drop in and out of form throughout the course of the season.

Russell's been brilliant at times this season and at other times completely anonymous. I don't think I actually saw him run faster than a jog at any point away to Wolves, then the next time I saw him play he was tearing Hull apart.

Same goes for the ST position, people go on about a Martin clone and some people go on about having an alternative option. In reality we need both.

I don't buy all the ******** spouted that it's 'impossible' to find someone of Martin's standard and ask him to sit on the bench, you don't need someone of Martin's standard, you need someone who can hold the ball-up and finish some chances. Plenty of strikers like that around who'd be happy to be Martin's competition.

I'd personally use Zanzala as our striker who offers something a bit different next season. We can't talk the talk about our academy and then not utilise one of our best academy prospects in our match day squad.

I'm surprised he or any other under 21 players werent given a run out against Ipswich.

I can see Zanzala playing a few pre season games and then we will see whether or not to loan him out or let him compete. Sad that this will mean the end of Mason Bennett though

43 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Veloso seems like a possibility but I think Carrick would probably be too ambitious. 

McCormack would be a good signing if we went up imo, he's carried a rubbish Fulham team.

Carrick will be wanted by a lot of clubs, but he is 34 and may want to go into coaching after his career, after typing this I researched this and Man U have offered him a coaching role next season.

McCormack for me wouldve been perfect a few seasons ago, playing off Martin couldve been a dream but with Blackman/Weimann/Camara being able to play across the front I'd only be comfortable with us signing him if we got rid of these players

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Only if Traore starts for us though. He is currently Chelsea's 2nd striker. Can't see him coming here to be backup to Martin

He's been given a chance and he has taken it, I think Remy is going in the summer and I doubt Pato and Falcao will be signed permanently but after the season Chelsea have had I bet they will be buying at least 1 more big name attacking player such as Zlatan or Morata and Im sure Griezman has been linked before 

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

Wales are a better team than Scotland regardless of  Bale and Ramsey. Kanu has been playing in a poor Reading team the last few years and is a proper winger, not a striker playing as a winger which is what we need. He wouldn't be starting for Wales if he was a poor player.  Worth a punt on him especially as a free transfer. Even if you disagree that he is better than Russell, he is a better player than Blackman and Weimann so we can cut our losses on them

So if Bale and Ramsey were injured Wales would be better than Scotland? Absolute tripe.

1 minute ago, sage said:

So if Bale and Ramsey were injured Wales would be better than Scotland? Absolute tripe.

Yep easily. You're underestimating how good Wales are. The likes of Ledley,Ashley Williams,Joe Allen, Ben Davies and the likes are decent. They have a number of solid midtable/upper premier league players.

Quality over quantity is the key, I'd like to see Jordan Ibe back. I know reports suggest Liverpool are open to listen to offers, I'm just doubt he would fancy a step back to the Championship now he has tasted Premiership football.

Unless we're prepared to take massive losses on their transfer fees and additionally pay the players to leave, we won't be able to sell Johnson (6m), Butterfield (5m), Blackman (3m with <6 months left!), Shackell (3m), Weimann (2m), Camara (1.5m  <6months left). All, plus Darren Bent, will be on wages no other team will come close to matching. Why would you leave a job for half the salary? The power is with the players.

Then we also have Albentosa, Pearce, Baird out on loan because the squad is already too bloated, and we have decent youngsters coming through who we have to use or lose. So, we have to make a decision about our other assets. Our most saleable players are:

Hughes, Martin, Hendrick, Christie, Bryson, Keogh, Carson, Ince, Russell

I'd be very sorry to see Hendrick/Keogh/Christie go, but I hope Ireland have a great Euros with all three starring and we pick up a lot of money for the three (unless O'Neill is coming in which seems unlikely).

Another one or two will probably have to leave as well. It's sad but the players have had the opportunity three years in a row and not been able to take the final few steps to the summit. In such circumstances, we have to twist.

But the first signing needs to be the new manager. There's no point presenting someone with a random selection of new signings our analytics people think have great stats and ask a head coach to mould them into a promotion-winning team.

Something I've learned over the years from watching Championship footballer is that you need a prolific goalscorer to get promoted.

This year Burnley had Gray and Boro had Rhodes (even though this was only for half a season he scored some important goals nonetheless).

The year before Bournemouth (Wilson), Watford (Ighalo and Deeney) and Norwich (Jerome) all had prolific goal scorers.

The year before that Leicester (Nugent), Burnley (Ings) and QPR (Austin) all had prolific goalscorers. 

I look at the Derby team and I don't see a prolific goal scorer. Some would argue Chris Martin, but he's really not the answer; I feel Martin is actually more of a creator with his hold up play and layoffs. 

In the summer I really hope we go all out for a top goalscorer, such as Ross McCormack. McCormack is guaranteed to get goals, for me it's a no brainer.

Maybe a bit of a risk but I've long been a fan of Scott Hogan from Brentford since he was at Rochdale. I think he'd be a good option and a cheaper alternative to McCormack.

Bottom line, we need a striker.

Thought about something like this:

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson, Daniel Bentley(you may not have heard of him but he is a talented young keeper)

Right backs: Christie, Hanson(to fill in)

Centre backs: Keogh, Shackell, Rawson, Buxton

Left backs: Forsyth, Olsson

CDMS: Thorne, Rohan Ince/Chalobah/Kevin McDonald(any one of these 3 to be a backup for Thorne as all are big and strong which we need when Thorne isn't playing), Hanson

CMS: Hughes, Bryson, Johnson, Butterfield

Attackers: Tom Ince, Robson-Kanu(free agent), Callum o'dowda

Strikers: Ross Mccormack, Nugent, Weimann, Zanzala

Carson

Christie   Keogh    Shackell   Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson              Hughes

Ince

Mccormack   Nugent

So in all buy: Bentley, Ince/Chalobah or McDonald, Robson-Kanu, O'dowda, Mccormack and Nugent. That's 6 players right there, not too many but players who fit certain positions that we have needed for years

Sell: Grant, Mitchell(loan), Baird, Albentosa, Shotton, Pearce, Warnock, Hendrick, Camara, Russell, Blackman, Martin, Bent.

If you take into consideration how many players you're selling above then in reality you're only spending 5-7 million if that which is nothing

1 minute ago, SIWY said:

Something I've learned over the years from watching Championship footballer is that you need a prolific goalscorer to get promoted.

This year Burnley had Gray and Boro had Rhodes (even though this was only for half a season he scored some important goals nonetheless).

The year before Bournemouth (Wilson), Watford (Ighalo and Deeney) and Norwich (Jerome) all had prolific goal scorers.

The year before that Leicester (Nugent), Burnley (Ings) and QPR (Austin) all had prolific goalscorers. 

I look at the Derby team and I don't see a prolific goal scorer. Some would argue Chris Martin, but he's really not the answer; I feel Martin is actually more of a creator with his hold up play and layoffs. 

In the summer I really hope we go all out for a top goalscorer, such as Ross McCormack. McCormack is guaranteed to get goals, for me it's a no brainer.

Maybe a bit of a risk but I've long been a fan of Scott Hogan from Brentford since he was at Rochdale. I think he'd be a good option and a cheaper alternative to McCormack.

Bottom line, we need a striker.

Been thinking through this a while. I'd suggest to sell Martin, Bent and Blackman and to replace them with both Nugent and Mccormack. Hogan is a good suggestion. Someone who I suggested previously in this thread, Will Grigg, would be a clever signing too

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Been thinking through this a while. I'd suggest to sell Martin, Bent and Blackman and to replace them with both Nugent and Mccormack. Hogan is a good suggestion. Someone who I suggested previously in this thread, Will Grigg, would be a clever signing too

Not sure about Nugent these days, he seems a bit past it. Personally I'd like to see us go in for either Dwight Gayle, Ross McCormack or Scott Hogan (preferably McCormack).

Not sure I'd get rid of Martin, he's a useful player to have and has served the club well. I think he'd be a real loss if we were to get rid.

33 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

But the first signing needs to be the new manager. There's no point presenting someone with a random selection of new signings our analytics people think have great stats and ask a head coach to mould them into a promotion-winning team.

Spot on with this.

If there is one lesson for Mel this season, please don't overstate the importance of the Analytics team. I'm sure they are good guys, but I want to see a decent Manager appointed, picking players from a scouting system, that fit gaps in our team, not picks based on statistical analysis.

Just now, SIWY said:

Not sure about Nugent these days, he seems a bit past it. Personally I'd like to see us go in for either Dwight Gayle, Ross McCormack or Scott Hogan (preferably McCormack).

Not sure I'd get rid of Martin, he's a useful player to have and has served the club well. I think he'd be a real loss if we were to get rid.

He would be a miss but if we were to get a top striker we'd have to sell some assets for financial fair play. I'd much rather sell Martin and Hendrick than Hughes. I feel playing to Martin's strengths is having a negative effect on the rest of the team and when he is out of the game, the rest of the team then falters because they're not playing their natural games then, just my personal opinion though. Nugent would be a good signing especially for only a few million and I'm sure he would have a good impact on the dressing room because he has got promoted a few times now so has been there and done it. He is also the type of player who will get back and stuck in when the going gets tough whereas I feel Martin strops around moaning at his teammates Also Mccormack plays better in a 2 up front as does Nugent whereas Martin plays better in a 1 up front.

Surely McCormack will get a move to a Premier League club. I have to admit that I scoffed when Fulham paid 11 million, but he'd be ideal for us. He's extremely versatile and has played and performed well as a wide player, support striker, and centre forward throughout his career. He runs himself into the ground. I've never once seen him give less than 100%, despite spending most of his career playing for championship also rans in mostly meaningless fixtures.

Archived