Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

Very similar to that mentioned above, on the basis that Pearson may try a 4-4-2.

Carson

Christie      Keogh     Shackell     Forsyth

Ince         James     Hughes       Kacaniklic

Ajose     Martin

Keep: Grant, Mitchell, Rawson, Pearce (if a CB cannot be brought in), Olsson, Camara (would fit a 4-4-2), Butterfield, Hendrick, Thorne, Bryson, Hanson, Bent, Russell

Sell: Blackman (genuinely useless), Johnson, Weimann (uncertain - tries hard but lacks any strength and isn't much of a wide midfielder), Buxton, Albentosa, Shotton, Baird (would let go for free)

Sign: Alex Kacaniklic (on a free after contract expiry), Nicky Ajose (a tall, pacy striker who can find the net), Matty James (Pearson brought him to Leicester and he could be exactly what we need to replace/work alongside Thorne)

To me, that looks like a formidable and reliable starting eleven and would be created on the basis that we could do some buying and selling. Relieves the bloated squad too. Wouldn't object to Grant leaving and another back up GK coming in either.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Very similar to that mentioned above, on the basis that Pearson may try a 4-4-2.

Carson

Christie      Keogh     Shackell     Forsyth

Ince         James     Hughes       Kacaniklic

Ajose     Martin

Keep: Grant, Mitchell, Rawson, Pearce (if a CB cannot be brought in), Olsson, Camara (would fit a 4-4-2), Butterfield, Hendrick, Thorne, Bryson, Hanson, Bent, Russell

Sell: Blackman (genuinely useless), Johnson, Weimann (uncertain - tries hard but lacks any strength and isn't much of a wide midfielder), Buxton, Albentosa, Shotton, Baird (would let go for free)

Sign: Alex Kacaniklic (on a free after contract expiry), Nicky Ajose (a tall, pacy striker who can find the net), Matty James (Pearson brought him to Leicester and he could be exactly what we need to replace/work alongside Thorne)

To me, that looks like a formidable and reliable starting eleven and would be created on the basis that we could do some buying and selling. Relieves the bloated squad too. Wouldn't object to Grant leaving and another back up GK coming in either.

It's interesting that you would keep Rawson and Pearce and sell Buxton. I would have thought the latter has performed better for Derby than the other two.  I would also suggest that the side you have selected would get swamped in midfield. 

In terms of your proposed signings, Kacaniklic looked a real prospect 3 years ago, but has since lost his place in the Sweden squad and has struggled to get in Fulham's team. I'm not convinced that someone who often even fails to make the bench for Fulham would improve our team. As for the tall Ajose, he is 5'6" and prior to last season scored around 1 in 4 in the lower leagues. He may have some promise but to elevate above our current quicker strikers seems a bit of a punt to me. As for Matty James, he is a good player, however we do have a lot of CMs already and he hasn't played in over a year due to injury, so wouldn't pay too much upfront. Maybe a loan move if we sell Hendrick.

Apart from that I agree with every word. :ph34r:  

3 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Will Grigg. We were rumored to be after him a few seasons back. Proven goalscorer in league 1. Got himself promoted to the Championship with Wigan. 2 years left on his current deal. He would probably cost £2m. Bamford is heading into the final year of his contract. If he's up for coming back that is. A few loan signings too. I think there will be up to a dozen quality players available for loans this season that right now none of us could name, because we simply wouldn't think they would be available. Ultimately depends on what our next boss decides. There are 10 players here that I think could go and wouldn't be missed in the slightest. Just then depends what he wants to do with our current crop of matchday players. 

Would pay £2m just for his chant alone.

In all seriousness I think he'd cost more than that, Wigan paid £1m a year ago and he's scored however many goals since.

12 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Would pay £2m just for his chant alone.

In all seriousness I think he'd cost more than that, Wigan paid £1m a year ago and he's scored however many goals since.

He scored roughly as many in the same league the season before he signed for Wigan for £1m. I don't see Wigan being capable of turning down a figure that would net them twice what they paid for him. Their latest accounts had them with a £4m loss. But that included parachute payments from the PL and profit from the sale of players was £7.3 million, primarily due to the sale of James McArthur and Callum McManaman. In my eyes they are course to become like Bolton. They need to raise capital and reduce their expenditure sooner rather than later. They haven't got a chance in hell of PL football again. 

2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

He scored roughly as many in the same league the season before he signed for Wigan for £1m. I don't see Wigan being capable of turning down a figure that would net them twice what they paid for him. Their latest accounts had them with a £4m loss. But that included parachute payments from the PL and profit from the sale of players was £7.3 million, primarily due to the sale of James McArthur and Callum McManaman. In my eyes they are course to become like Bolton. They need to raise capital and reduce their expenditure sooner rather than later. They haven't got a chance in hell of PL football again. 

Half a season of goals at this level probably quadruples that £2m, as we have seen with players like Benik Afobe. They might well be in slight difficulties, but selling for £2m would make little sense for them now.

There's also nothing to say they couldn't make a solid attempt at the play offs this year and getting back into the Premiership. Some very good players in that squad, a little similar to the Wolves of 14/15 that had a good go the year after they came up. Good young manager as well.

Carson

Christie Keogh  Shackell  Forsyth

Knockaert  James  Hughes   Camara

Ince

Wells

Ins: De Laet, Knockaert, Matty James(loan), Lloyd Dyer(free transfer), David Nugent(loan with a view to perma?), Nakhi Wells(worked with Powell at Huddersfield)

Outs: Mitchell(loan), Roos(loan), Baird, Albentosa, Shotton, Buxton, Blackman, Martin(not a Pearson type of player), Bent, Blackman, Johnson

Goalkeepers: Carson, Grant/new keeper

Right backs: Christie, De Laet

Centre backs: Rawson, Pearce

Left backs: Forsyth, Olsson

Right mids: Knockaert, Russell

Left mids: Camara, Lloyd Dyer

Centre mids: Hughes, James, Bryson, Hendrick , Butterfield, Thorne, Hanson? - may look a bit bloated but playing in a 2 man midfield is demanding so plenty of rotation will be available with injuries and suspension

Behind the forward: Ince, Nugent

Forwards: Wells, Weimann, Zanzala

Inb4 criticism :ph34r:

Looking at where Pearson and Powell have come from..

Powell at Charlton.. He managed a few decent players.. I wouldn't mind Callum Harriott and Jordan Cousins who are both still at the club.. Others who could suit.. Michael Morrison and Dale Stephens of Birmingham and Brighton.

During his season at Huddersfield there is only one stand out player for me and that's Nahki Wells. He is a must in my eyes if we want to play 4-4-2. The other player on the list would have been Butterfield, but we already have him at the club.

With Pearson, You could only choose players from Leicester and Hull as others would be past the boat now, so to speak.

One sticks out straight away.. Jack Hobbs (both Leicester and Hull-loan). No nonsense defender, as we all know. Would you want him off Forest? Another one we could go with is Liam Cooper, now of Leeds. Again, another no nonsense CB. As for midfielders, Tom Cairney sticks out like a sore thumb. Would of liked him to join before last season started. Cracking midfielder. 

As for his Leicester days.. Matt Mills (Forest again), Liam Moore, Lloyd Dyer, Dave Nugent, Yann Kermorgant, Ritchie De Laet, Anthony Knockaert, Nick Powell, Jesse Lingard (Loan-Though I doubt Mourinho will sell anyone) and striker Chris Wood, 

All of those are realistic targets.. Would you be happy with any of them?

Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson 25 right winger would be a shrewd signing if he has a release clause at Charlton.  Powell could find out if he doesn't know already.  He was their best player in the Championship and shouldn't play one minute in League 1.  Has much international experience and going to the Euro finals shortly.

A little appetizer

On 28 May 2016 at 21:34, Walsall_Ram said:

Looking at where Pearson and Powell have come from..

Powell at Charlton.. He managed a few decent players.. I wouldn't mind Callum Harriott and Jordan Cousins who are both still at the club.. Others who could suit.. Michael Morrison and Dale Stephens of Birmingham and Brighton.

During his season at Huddersfield there is only one stand out player for me and that's Nahki Wells. He is a must in my eyes if we want to play 4-4-2. The other player on the list would have been Butterfield, but we already have him at the club.

With Pearson, You could only choose players from Leicester and Hull as others would be past the boat now, so to speak.

One sticks out straight away.. Jack Hobbs (both Leicester and Hull-loan). No nonsense defender, as we all know. Would you want him off Forest? Another one we could go with is Liam Cooper, now of Leeds. Again, another no nonsense CB. As for midfielders, Tom Cairney sticks out like a sore thumb. Would of liked him to join before last season started. Cracking midfielder. 

As for his Leicester days.. Matt Mills (Forest again), Liam Moore, Lloyd Dyer, Dave Nugent, Yann Kermorgant, Ritchie De Laet, Anthony Knockaert, Nick Powell, Jesse Lingard (Loan-Though I doubt Mourinho will sell anyone) and striker Chris Wood, 

All of those are realistic targets.. Would you be happy with any of them?

Mills was stripped of the captaincy and bombed out, and I believe Pearson was also unimpressed with Nick Powell's ego, so there's 2 to discount.

21 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Hull's Elmohamady is running out of contract.

Excellent player.

Excellent? You think ? I've never been a big fan , always saw him as a bit of an in-between player , not good enough going forward to be a real threat and not good enough defensively to play full back , but hey I might be wrong .

9 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Excellent? You think ? I've never been a big fan , always saw him as a bit of an in-between player , not good enough going forward to be a real threat and not good enough defensively to play full back , but hey I might be wrong .

Only times I've seen him playing badly has been against us..

Could replace Christie or Russell, so versatile.

Archived