OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stedcfc said:

Is nobody else disappointed that Di Matteo doesn't seem to be in the Derby running?

Pearson is probably the best of the available bunch but I'm very put off by the number of times he's lost his head in public (he's probably done it a lot more behind the scenes!).

Di Matteo has achieved in his career without coming with the baggage that Pearson does and I'm a bit disappointed Villa can attract him but it seems that we can't.

Achieved? Debatable. Yes, he somehow won the CL (even Chelsea fans will admit that they were very lucky to win it), but minus that, his W/L ratio and league form at Chelsea was dreadful. He was sacked by West Brom and sacked by Schalke for a poor season. Not really tried and tested at this level either. Yes he got West Brom up, but their squad was very, very good. 

Don't know too much about him, but I think I'd prefer Pearson. 

16 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Geez! you have an active imagination

Just wait until it's my turn to start the match threads again. It's time Old One-Eye made a comeback.

7 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

Is nobody else disappointed that Di Matteo doesn't seem to be in the Derby running?

Pearson is probably the best of the available bunch but I'm very put off by the number of times he's lost his head in public (he's probably done it a lot more behind the scenes!).

Di Matteo has achieved in his career without coming with the baggage that Pearson does and I'm a bit disappointed Villa can attract him but it seems that we can't.

All good points, but he also had an absolutely wretched time at Schalke 04. Fell out with two of their best players as well. 

5 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

I think this is good, the Leicester players apparently loved him for it and found him funny (in a good way), according to some of their fans they were p**sing themselves in training at the ostrich interview, it relaxed them and made them more determined to get Pearson out of trouble. 

Tom Ince I think would be one of the main players to benefit from Pearson imo, I think Ince would be one of those to "die for the cause" attitudes under him. 

Just now, North_Stand_Ram said:

Achieved? Debatable. Yes, he somehow won the CL (even Chelsea fans will admit that they were very lucky to win it), but minus that, his W/L ratio and league form at Chelsea was dreadful. He was sacked by West Brom and sacked by Schalke for a poor season. Not really tried and tested at this level either. Yes he got West Brom up, but their squad was very, very good. 

Don't know too much about him, but I think I'd prefer Pearson. 

Just find it odd that he doesn't even appear to be in the frame, and yet the team most likely to attract a manager of a similar calibre to us at the moment think he's the best bet.

Maybe it still isn't time for Derby's first foreign manager!

1 minute ago, Stedcfc said:

Just find it odd that he doesn't even appear to be in the frame, and yet the team most likely to attract a manager of a similar calibre to us at the moment think he's the best bet.

Maybe it still isn't time for Derby's first foreign manager!

I hadn't heard him linked with any jobs until Villa appointed their new chairman, who is probably attracted by the lavish playing career and obviously the CL win, which is understandable. But this is the championship! 

Just now, DCFCArmy said:

I think this is good, the Leicester players apparently loved him for it and found him funny (in a good way), according to some of their fans they were p**sing themselves in training at the ostrich interview, it relaxed them and made them more determined to get Pearson out of trouble. 

Tom Ince I think would be one of the main players to benefit from Pearson imo, I think Ince would be one of those to "die for the cause" attitudes under him. 

If he's flying off the handle at the press in front of tv cameras its fair to say hes almost definitely doing it at players behind closed doors.

I'd disagree about Ince. He strikes me as the kind of guy that needs an arm round the shoulder and to be told hes brilliant to keep him confident. Don't think he'd deal well with somebody like Pearson.

Just now, North_Stand_Ram said:

I hadn't heard him linked with any jobs until Villa appointed their new chairman, who is probably attracted by the lavish playing career and obviously the CL win, which is understandable. But this is the championship! 

..which he has been promoted from the championship!

The basis on which we are saying Pearson should get the job (but with Leicester obviously).

The fact WBA had a very very good squad is a mute point for me. We had a very very good squad last season!

3 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

I also think Ince would benefit from a manager like Pearson. I don't think he'd be scared to give him a kick up the bum when he's playing so inconsistently like this season. 

Ince made it into double figures with goals (12) and nearly on assists(9). A consistent season out of him would make him one of the best players in league imo.

15 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Pearson's squad when he took over Leicester for the second time vs Pearson's squad when they won the Championship nearly 2 and a half years (29 months) later:

(sorted by appearances made)

nrhBqhP.jpg

Draw your own conclusions

Wonder if Nugent would be a transfer target?

Finally I've got the word I was looking for INTENSITY. 

So many times recently I felt it was what was missing from the play.

Even though I was a Steve fan, I did find his nonchalent interviews holding his tea rather 2nd hand car salesman...PC was more in the Martinez mould of quite polished and suave, DW was all annoying enthusiastic puppy...

So people saying Pearson is rude to journalists etc...good I say. I'd welcome his intensity, his glare and don't ask daft questions attitude, his lack of care if they like him.

I hope that outward attitude is replicated towards the players where needed. I would love that intensity, the do your f-ing job for the team or else ethic,  a will to win at all costs mentality for a change.  Tired of being graceful runners up..want to be a nasty winner!

Seen people saying that Pearson will play this formation or that formation. Pearson will do what all good managers do and play the formation that gets the best out of his players, which to me seems to be 433 for the players we have. If a manager can't adapt, then they shouldn't be a manager.

I don't know if I'm the only one who felt like this under our last few managers but I always felt that in certain games we would be bullied away at teams before we even played. Prime examples being Boro, Burnley, QPR, Fulham, Leeds. If we got Pearson I'd feel a lot more confident matching up against physically stronger teams with tight grounds and feel that we wouldn't get bullied in these types of games.

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Sad but true.

Its true that at a club with no real expectations and less pressure the guy and his staff would blossom.

But sad that Derby County is his life, his one true club, he has given his all both as academy director and manager, yet the fans on the most part dont see his face as fitting to be their manager and tell him he would be better off elsewhere.

Reminds me of the Ryan Giggs situation, a one club man, he doesnt want to manage anyone else, yet certain people tell him he cant manage them without head coach experience elsewhere.

Not too sure about one club man, he spent more playing time at Florist...............

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Pat Murphy @ the BBC seems to think Pearson is nailed on and soon to be announced

If that was/is the list then I'm happy with what Mel & Sam came up with. Not a bad little list at all.

56 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

He does remind me of a certain Brian Clough................

Archived