OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

16 minutes ago, David said:

All this 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 talk and now trying to slot players into fantasy lineups because this is what Pearson has done in the past.....I would like to think any manager/head coach coming into a club will know how to find the best system with the players at the club, not have a set formation he never strays from regardless of the players he has it his disposal. 

With my zero experience in football management and coaching and I've barely took any team past 2 seasons on Football Manager. These are not the formations best suited for us, unless we're planning a huge clear out and starting from scratch.

Exactly. 

Managers aren't stupid or so stubborn they couldn't adjust to what they've got at a club. So much of this 3-1-4-1-1 nonsense starts with assuming that players best positions are ones they've never played in, nor performed at, for us anyhow. The main thing is bring in someone who's passionate about the job, has the right mentality and won't bugger off to some relegation fodder Premier League club the moment they come sniffing. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim smith stumbled on the 532 we played under him by looking at the players and trying to get the best  players on the pitch at the same time 

He had never played it before and we went on to be fairly successful 

Think we just need to go with it and be patient 

In pearson/martinez/wassall we trust (delete as appropriate)

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Mel will not announce another manager while Darren Wassall is still manager. Darren apparently finishes his contract on June Ist, so soon after that we can expect an announcement of some sort..

Flawless logic apart from the million times it's already happened. Pearson was still under contract when Ranieri came in.

4 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Flawless logic apart from the million times it's already happened. Pearson was still under contract when Ranieri came in.

He still is now

10 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Mel only has to wait till tuesday, so no point in announcing it now if already done and  dusted.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

He still is now

Is that true Eddie, or something that is believed to be true ?  Looking at his post interviews he talks about a settlement package, and im no expert, but i would have thought gardening leave for over 12 months would be a breach of his contract.

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-boss-Nigel-Pearson-says/story-27833587-detail/story.html

4 minutes ago, Brighton Ram said:

Good luck to him - when he's got the hang of it we'll have him back!

I do think that Wassall could be a decent manager, but he was pretty much destined to fail (or at least not succeed) under the circumstances with us. He was always going to struggle to command the respect of the players - in their eyes he was the jovial kid's coach. Someone with a Clough or Stimac type  of arrogance might have had a chance, but Wassall just seems too normal. Added to that, Wassall was a temporary coach, so most of the players would have known that they had little to lose by not fully following his instructions. It's also possible that many of the players believed that Wassall was only in post because he was the owners mate.

Yet, imagine if he now got the job as a manager at somewhere like Doncaster. To those players, he's an experienced coach, who has managed better players than them and played himself at a high level for some pretty decent managers. He'd instantly get their attention. There would also be less expectation from the fans, so the pressure would be far lower. Wassall could then actually develop his management skills. In that situation, there'd be every chance that he would succeed.

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I do think that Wassall could be a decent manager, but he was pretty much destined to fail (or at least not succeed) under the circumstances with us. He was always going to struggle to command the respect of the players - in their eyes he was the jovial kid's coach. Someone with a Clough or Stimac type  of arrogance might have had a chance, but Wassall just seems too normal. Added to that, Wassall was a temporary coach, so most of the players would have known that they had little to lose by not fully following his instructions. It's also possible that many of the players believed that Wassall was only in post because he was the owners mate.

Yet, imagine if he now got the job as a manager at somewhere like Doncaster. To those players, he's an experienced coach, who has managed better players than them and played himself at a high level for some pretty decent managers. He'd instantly get their attention. There would also be less expectation from the fans, so the pressure would be far lower. Wassall could then actually develop his management skills. In that situation, there'd be every chance that he would succeed.

I'd say this is a fair assessment.  From the day he was appointed I said he wasn't right for us, but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach that couldn't do a good job somewhere else.  He did some things right, but did others wrong and doing them in the type of environment we have a DCFC isn't beneficial for a manager starting to ply his trade.  If he wants to carry on as a head coach/manager role I think he'd do well.

What we need right now is experience and more know how.  Which is why I'll still bang my Warburton drum until Pearson is announced...

10 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Is that true Eddie, or something that is believed to be true ?  Looking at his post interviews he talks about a settlement package, and im no expert, but i would have thought gardening leave for over 12 months would be a breach of his contract.

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-boss-Nigel-Pearson-says/story-27833587-detail/story.html

It's not been a year yet. He was 'replaced' on 30 June last year. Who knows what the situation is? He spoke about 'contractual details' - I cannot quite fathom out why he would be out of management for a period of almost a year unless the issue was forced, so it's an assumption on my part.

Occam's Razor and all that.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

It's not been a year yet. He was 'replaced' on 30 June last year. Who knows what the situation is? He spoke about 'contractual details' - I cannot quite fathom out why he would be out of management for a period of almost a year unless the issue was forced, so it's a big assumption on my part.

Occam's Razor and all that.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the issue forced, I'm sure Leicester wouldn't have wanted him to goto a relegation rival and keep them up whilst they went down, so always best to remove the possibility.  

52 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Pearson me reminds me of a Mr B Clough, arrogant, egotistical, passionate, tactically aware and hot headed, has he signed yet?

I was going to post that but feared I might be shot down in flames. By the way, can I add 'sometimes gave the media a rough time'?

It's smoke and mirrors - deep in the bowels of pride park a titanium tap is being prepared - a 4" Cuban heel shoe is being cobbled - an atmospheric detoxifier is working overtime and wee Billy the untapped is preparing to wreak his revenge on everyone who laughed at him or conspired against him.

Put a tenner on it PDQ.

Archived