OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ramarena said:

Wasn't that the guy Pearson had the ostrich spat with?

Had a weird interview with Pat yeah, Ostrich guy was local media I think.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

When folk talk about Wassall 'failing'  I'm never very sure what they mean. Mistakes have been made, but has he really 'failed' us? Seems to me that he took on a team at low ebb, short on confidence and playing some frankly awful football and got them playing again.  He secured a play-off slot with games to spare and, but for a strangely lackluster performance in the first leg against Hull, we'd all be heading to Wembley to watch the lads batter the Wendies. I suppose he failed in that we did not secure an auto slot but given circumstances I think he did ok. I'd not be remotely surprised to see him getting a few offers to take on the manager's position elsewhere though I hope we can hang onto him, at very least, in his former role.

Now that events seem to suggest that he'll not be the man entrusted with taking the team forwards next year, perhaps we should take time to ponder the 7 year's service he's provided and the fact that in reality, he's never really 'failed' us at all.

This.

Wassall's objective, which was repeated by him and Sam Rush, was to get us in the play offs. Mission accomplished.

PistoldPete2
15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Pat Murphy @ the BBC seems to think Pearson is nailed on and soon to be announced

Is it a question of Pearson missing out on the Villa job or him not fancying it? The new ownership hasn't been sorted out yet and the situation has been dodgy. 

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

This.

Wassall's objective, which was repeated by him and Sam Rush, was to get us in the play offs. Mission accomplished.

Though I think Wassall did OK.

I do feel playing our 'strongest' side last game of the season was a massive error that could of cost us promotion. Imagine a fit Thorne in that first leg could of been totally different.

Wassall said his aim was promotion. He didn't achieve that - hence failure.

The first leg alone has/will cost him his job. Quite rightly. Will hopefully cost some of the players their stay with the club as well!

I just ask the question if Pearson isn't acceptable to you, who do you genuinely think would be better AND would come to us?

I want Pearson, and I want the appointment made ASAP. I can't help but feel we are drifting and losing time every day.

Happy with Pearson. Leicester's performance when they dicked us at their place the year they went up was incredible. Especially as we were in amazing form ourselves at that point.

He's proven himself at this level before and if he does get us up, he also has valuable Prem experience too. He did well keeping Leicester up and we all know what mostly his team went onto achieve.

Regardless of who actally scouted players, he clearly is up for giving players a chance.

Lose the first couple of games though and we should all start booing and demanding change.

58 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Though I think Wassall did OK.

I do feel playing our 'strongest' side last game of the season was a massive error that could of cost us promotion. Imagine a fit Thorne in that first leg could of been totally different.

Indeed.

Thorne runs out at home to Hull in the playoff, trips and his head strikes Will Hughes on the knee, shattering it completely. Meanwhile, Thorne staggers sideways, barely conscious, steps on Bryson's foot and breaks a metatarsal bone. Martin and Ince rush over to see what the problem is and collide, both sustaining serious head wounds which require immediate hospitalisation..

Wassall makes three changes immediately and the match starts with Derby fielding 9 men. A gallant rearguard acton sees The Rams only trailing 1-0 at half time, but further injuries to Russell and Sir Jake in the second half deplete The Rams still further. Although both can continue, both are 'walking wounded' and Derby are eventually overrun and concede a further 6 goals.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The first leg alone has/will cost him his job. Quite rightly. Will hopefully cost some of the players their stay with the club as well!

I just ask the question if Pearson isn't acceptable to you, who do you genuinely think would be better AND would come to us?

I want Pearson, and I want the appointment made ASAP. I can't help but feel we are drifting and losing time every day.

Relax its done already ;) To be honest we don't need to worry about managers going elsewhere as I feel our club is probably first choice to all the candidates for available realistic jobs out there.

Don't worry about keeping them waiting. it's better they wait for us then we wait for them.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Indeed.

Thorne runs out at home to Hull in the playoff, trips and his head strikes Will Hughes on the knee, shattering it completely. Meanwhile, Thorne staggers sideways, barely conscious, steps on Bryson's foot and breaks a metatarsal bone. Martin and Ince rush over to see what the problem is and collide, both sustaining serious head wounds which require immediate hospitalisation..

Wassall makes three changes immediately and the match starts with Derby fielding 9 men. A gallant rearguard acton sees The Rams only trailing 1-0 at half time, but further injuries to Russell and Sir Jake in the second half deplete The Rams still further. Although both can continue, both are 'walking wounded' and Derby are eventually overrun and concede a further 6 goals.

Geez! you have an active imagination :lol:

nevertheless it still ends up with us being knocked out the play-offs we wouldn't be much worse off bar a couple more injuries.

My story is Thorne makes a cracking block to deny Hernandez the first goal derby then break and score. Derby keep it at 1-0. Second leg Derby are put in a good position to book their place at Wembley.

it's ifs and buts but I feel we wouldn't of got a 3-0 defeat in that first leg with him on the field.

15 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not sure if this question is directed at my post or not but....

If failure to achieve promotion is a categorical failure, by that measure, 23 other managers need sacking in the Championship alone.  Would folk argue that Hughton should be sacked for failing to get Brighton up?

As for Pearson, very happy to have him appointed should that be the plan.  I think he's probably the most solid option but I don't think for a second his appointment is a guarantee of success as many on here seem to assume it will be.  Nor do I think that waiting until Wednesday to formally announce it (if this is the case) is anything to be fretting over.  If we've got our man then perhaps we should simply say, 'good job' and be pleased that we have?

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

This.

I thought his objective was the Derby way, with the minimum requirement getting into the play offs ?

If the objective was play offs, why sack PC?

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

I thought his objective was the Derby way, with the minimum requirement getting into the play offs ?

If the objective was play offs, why sack PC?

So are there still people who can't comprehend all of this or just a lot of people repeating the same sarcastic comment?

I'm tiring of this we all know what Pearson's team went on to achieve crap. It does a massive disservice to Ranieri, I mean, look what happened at Manchester United when Fergie retired, left them as champions, Moyes takes over and it's a shambles.

Surely by the logic being used regarding Pearson's contribution to Leicester's title win would mean Moyes would have no trouble carrying on the good work by Ferguson.

I'll never be convinced Leicester would have won the title with Pearson in charge but that's just my opinion and it matters not a jot, I do wonder though that if Pearson was the miracle worker he's being made out to be, why exactly did Leicester fook him off ? 

The odds on pearson have dropped further. The odds of 1/5 are the best you will find and that's with SkyBet who yesterday had it at 4/7. On Betfair the odds have gone down further from the 1/6 to 1/7 so they're still dropping

Just now, SaintRam said:

So are there still people who can't comprehend all of this or just a lot of people repeating the same sarcastic comment?

Obviously can't comprehend because I haven't got a scooby what you are referring to  

Is nobody else disappointed that Di Matteo doesn't seem to be in the Derby running?

Pearson is probably the best of the available bunch but I'm very put off by the number of times he's lost his head in public (he's probably done it a lot more behind the scenes!).

Di Matteo has achieved in his career without coming with the baggage that Pearson does and I'm a bit disappointed Villa can attract him but it seems that we can't.

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Agree in general but chill out. The actual season isn't even over yet! If the players are away on a break/international duty then only so much can be done anyway yet.

I trust them to get it right, Mel has only got one thing seriously wrong for me so far, sacking PC and giving it to DW.

If it turns out that Pearson comes in and its why  we couldn't appoint earlier then even there he has done the right thing letting DW steady the ship till Sgt Pearson's arrival...err ..however if DW were to get it then I would be dumbstruck. 

Archived