OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's smoke and mirrors - deep in the bowels of pride park a titanium tap is being prepared - a 4" Cuban heel shoe is being cobbled - an atmospheric detoxifier is working overtime and wee Billy the untapped is preparing to wreak his revenge on everyone who laughed at him or conspired against him.

Put a tenner on it PDQ.

Personally. I think Billy's 'tapped', as we used to say.

3 hours ago, Lord_Ram said:

If Pearson comes in and plays his 442...

didnt bradley Johnson play at the left of midfield for Norwich, where he scored about 15 goals in their promotion playing his best?

could possibly see the best out of him, he's pearsons type of player

He played on the left 11 times last season. 

12 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Personally. I think Billy's 'tapped', as we used to say.

Riveting discussion.

from the brief times I've seen Bradley Johnson play for you, he doesn't seem like a Pearson player to me. Hefty price tag, possibly a big ego? & struts around the pitch instead of running his ******** off.

like I said Pearson will only want players that will die for the cause. If players don't show that commitment they will be out the door, very soon!

7 minutes ago, FoxInPeace said:

from the brief times I've seen Bradley Johnson play for you, he doesn't seem like a Pearson player to me. Hefty price tag, possibly a big ego? & struts around the pitch instead of running his ******** off.

like I said Pearson will only want players that will die for the cause. If players don't show that commitment they will be out the door, very soon!

I don't think Johnson has a big ego. He looks visibly upset to me at how his career here hasn't taken off. Pearson might give him just the motivation he needs.

Let's not forget how excellent he was in his first month.

If anything, Johnson isn't/wasn't a Clement player. Don't think he'd be a McClaren type player either.

He might turn out to be a Pearson player.

Clean slate and natural combative role for him he could do well. I get a good vibe about his character - think he's pretty genuine - just unhappiness about not playing well.

Im really worried about this appointment if it happens.

Ok so we havent got over the line in recent seasons, but we have largely been constant at the top by playing well and keeping a certain style.

I can only fear with a different type of manager coming in, that he will want his own style, his own players etc which will take time. A lot of time if you ask me.

Im pretty sure I heard Mel say, that at Christmas last year that we were ahead of schedule and that he thought PC would need more time to get us to the top. Things do take time with a change of management and coaching staff, so why is it that some people call Wassalls time as manager which was less than 6 mionths, a failure.

Really wish some people would get real sometimes.

When Johnson first arrived he did look like a 'run through brick walls' for the team type of player. It seemed to take about four games for Clement to coach that out of him. Now he just looks a bit lost. I do hope that Pearson (should he be appointed) can turn him back into that player who first joined.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

I do think that Wassall could be a decent manager, but he was pretty much destined to fail (or at least not succeed) under the circumstances with us. He was always going to struggle to command the respect of the players - in their eyes he was the jovial kid's coach. Someone with a Clough or Stimac type  of arrogance might have had a chance, but Wassall just seems too normal. Added to that, Wassall was a temporary coach, so most of the players would have known that they had little to lose by not fully following his instructions. It's also possible that many of the players believed that Wassall was only in post because he was the owners mate.

Yet, imagine if he now got the job as a manager at somewhere like Doncaster. To those players, he's an experienced coach, who has managed better players than them and played himself at a high level for some pretty decent managers. He'd instantly get their attention. There would also be less expectation from the fans, so the pressure would be far lower. Wassall could then actually develop his management skills. In that situation, there'd be every chance that he would succeed.

Sad but true.

Its true that at a club with no real expectations and less pressure the guy and his staff would blossom.

But sad that Derby County is his life, his one true club, he has given his all both as academy director and manager, yet the fans on the most part dont see his face as fitting to be their manager and tell him he would be better off elsewhere.

Reminds me of the Ryan Giggs situation, a one club man, he doesnt want to manage anyone else, yet certain people tell him he cant manage them without head coach experience elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Ok so we havent got over the line in recent seasons, but we have largely been constant at the top by playing well and keeping a certain style.

I can only fear with a different type of manager coming in, that he will want his own style, his own players etc which will take time. A lot of time if you ask me.

Im pretty sure I heard Mel say, that at Christmas last year that we were ahead of schedule and that he thought PC would need more time to get us to the top. Things do take time with a change of management and coaching staff, so why is it that some people call Wassalls time as manager which was less than 6 mionths, a failure.

I think Morris has 'got real'. The team is in need of a shake up and a plan b/different style of play.

Pearson is exactly what we need. He doesn't need to change much. Just coach the battle shy players into making tackles and running more.

Interestingly, Pearson's odds have just drifted marginally from 1/6 to 1/5, whilst Neil Warnock has now shortened to 8/1 second favourite. I wonder if we're interviewing Warnock today? The betting almost seems to be following the pattern of reflecting a series of interviews.

Just now, Tim Bucktoo said:

Are we actually interviewing this week or is this now presumed a fact due to being discussed as though the gospel?

We are and have been for a few days.

Just now, Tim Bucktoo said:

Are we actually interviewing this week or is this now presumed a fact due to being discussed as though the gospel?

Some pretty respected journalists have said that we are, and the Radio Derby lads have retweeted and mentioned it, and the Derby Telegraph have run an article about the reports. Normally, the local journalists are pretty quick to pour cold water on entirely false stories.

Although we can't be certain, I'd say that it is very likely (and pretty logical) that we are interviewing.

24 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Wassall nearly 6 months,Clement a month or two longer,on that basis we should be looking for a new manager about xmas.time. Looking forward to another 200 pages of the same people reprising the same posts all over again. Looking forwards in a positive kind of way is what I do.

Pat Murphy @ the BBC seems to think Pearson is nailed on and soon to be announced

It looks like Nigel Pearson will miss out on the Aston Villa job, but he is now the odds-on to be appointed by Derby County after impressing in his interview.

His success in getting promotion to the Premier League with Leicester City in 2014 was an important factor and an announcement could be made over the weekend. 

Also in contention were Roberto Martinez, Gary Rowett, Steve Bruce, Darren Wassell and Mark Warburton.

When folk talk about Wassall 'failing'  I'm never very sure what they mean. Mistakes have been made, but has he really 'failed' us? Seems to me that he took on a team at low ebb, short on confidence and playing some frankly awful football and got them playing again.  He secured a play-off slot with games to spare and, but for a strangely lackluster performance in the first leg against Hull, we'd all be heading to Wembley to watch the lads batter the Wendies. I suppose he failed in that we did not secure an auto slot but given circumstances I think he did ok. I'd not be remotely surprised to see him getting a few offers to take on the manager's position elsewhere though I hope we can hang onto him, at very least, in his former role.

Now that events seem to suggest that he'll not be the man entrusted with taking the team forwards next year, perhaps we should take time to ponder the 7 year's service he's provided and the fact that in reality, he's never really 'failed' us at all.

Archived