Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

eddie

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really sure how I feel about Wednesday as a team. I personally thought they were good. One of the better teams I've seen us play this season. However at the same time I felt we should have comfortably won. They did deserve a goal based on their play, but we perhaps deserved 3 or 4. Does that mean I've over-rated them or are we just ******* class?

On 23/04/2016 at 18:56, Ewe Ram said:

Just curious what the Sky commentary thought about the refereeing decisions today? 

I was confused at times what he'd actually given as he wasn't clear, not to mention a good few times I didn't understand why he'd blown his whistle. 

I was quite relaxed about this game before hand, prepared to accept the result whatever but the Ref made me desperate for us to win because he clearly didn't want us to 

I was sky watching the game Ewe, and on a number of the decisions the summarisor ventured a view as to why the decision was given and we then watched some slow motion that completely disproved the hypothesis. They then had to give up trying to explain the decision and just lapse into muttering a bit until the game moved on.

This happened for.....

- the penalty that wasn't for Christie 

- forestieri being swatted by keogh

- brysons tackle that won the ball after the referee intercepted 

And possibly one or two others I've forgotten. 

But some were proved right. Keogh, bryson and Hughes cards all justified.

5 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Did anyone think that Johnny Russell's run and cross for our goal had something of the Archie Gemmill about it?

I've said for a bit that Johnny has a bit of Archie about him. When he picks the ball up in deep positions he carries it just like Archie used to.

Johnny can play in the prem no problem.

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I've said for a bit that Johnny has a bit of Archie about him. When he picks the ball up in deep positions he carries it just like Archie used to.

Johnny can play in the prem no problem.

How is he at playing on a swamp?

Enjoyed the game yesterday, thought Wednesday were half decent, but on clear cut chances we should have won, and on another day we would have won, thought Johnny Russell and Craig Bryson had very good games , and thought young Will on his first start since his injury away at Bolton played really well his vision, and his quick feet were a joy to watch, I am sure he will play at the very top, hopefully with us, we played some good football, and I am really looking forward to the play off games, I have a very good feeling about going to Wembley, and gaining promotion this season now.

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

How is he at playing on a swamp?

We'll never know. The pitches are so good nowadays. Johnny's not precious though so he'd probably have been ok.

If Nigel Clough is not remembered for anything else his scouting and signing of Chris Martin, Craig Bryson and Johnny Russell for less than £1.2m will go down in history as the best value for money of all time.

9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I was sky watching the game Ewe, and on a number of the decisions the summarisor ventured a view as to why the decision was given and we then watched some slow motion that completely disproved the hypothesis. They then had to give up trying to explain the decision and just lapse into muttering a bit until the game moved on.

This happened for.....

- the penalty that wasn't for Christie 

- forestieri being swatted by keogh

- brysons tackle that won the ball after the referee intercepted 

And possibly one or two others I've forgotten. 

But some were proved right. Keogh, bryson and Hughes cards all justified.

Cue @eddie butchering you for being a half fan.:D

My general thoughts on the game was that we played well. Even when we went 1-0 down I thought it wouldn't of been a loss through a poor performance (Where as a few games ago I'd be frustrated and wonder why my Dad got me to support Derby!) we played well and would of been beat by a wonder goal.

I'm glad Hughes got some game time like he's never been away! Good to see us hunt down which this game we seemed to in packs which set the tempo (This has been our key last few games instead of us being pressed we've been pressing the opposition). The problem is when we hunt down in packs a simple 2-3 passes the midfield can be bypassed and lots of room is opened up. I wouldn't change this though as it'll reap rewards more often then us being punished.

I thought the crowd was amazing today it's 1st time I've heard us out sing Wednesday (Second half this was 1st half the crowd was pretty much average) was great to be part of. Would of loved to hear it on TV and hope we got the praise from the commentators! 

I have a complaint, if you are going to do the "bounce" on the SS can you bounce in front of your own seat please, some fat bloke thought it would be fun to bounce on my ickle toes, I thought Wednesday were rapid at changing defence to attack though, I would prefer Hull over two legs :ph34r:

16 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We'll never know. The pitches are so good nowadays. Johnny's not precious though so he'd probably have been ok.

If Nigel Clough is not remembered for anything else his scouting and signing of Chris Martin, Craig Bryson and Johnny Russell for less than £1.2m will go down in history as the best value for money of all time.

Rasiak, Idiakez and Smith were free. I'd say they were all better signings, considering the impact they had and where we were when they came in. We were absolutely broke back then.

Obviously all opinions and that. Russell was superb against Sheff Wed, but he has been abysmal in other games this season and there is no getting away from the fact he lacks a football brain.

Bryson (29), Russell (26) and Martin (27). If they're going to make it to the PL, they really ought to now.

Archived