Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

eddie

Yes Alpha and I missed off JR .. Thought he had a very good game, looked threatening. There is a degree of improved control that has crept in to his game recently and is turning him from being a snappy terrier into a bit of a wolf. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite satisfied with today, we made it 5 unbeaten against a good side in Sheffield Wednesday.

I've been saying for a long time that Darren Bent could have an important part to play this season, and whilst today's goal wasn't "important" as such, it just shows how he's capable of being in the right place at the right time. It makes me wonder whether he could turn out to be our very own Bobby Zamora on Saturday 28th of May.:D

Speaking of Bent, when the U21 lads were coming back round to the tunnel after their lap around the pitch, he waited for them and was clapping and shaking their hands as they walked past. This, added to his recent tweets and the way that he always encourages the young lads when he plays for the U21s, indicates that he is a consummate professional (despite what his uninspiring touch line warm-ups might suggest).

We march on, COYR!!!

image.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Beagle said:

All the bookings were justifiable if you take into account Mason is a prem ref and he was reffing it like one.Always the same when one comes down a level so best get used too it if we get promoted.

I can't agree .. He was out of position several times, missed an obvious penalty and was inconsistent with his cards in the first half. The game was muscular but not dirty yet the number of cards make it seem bed tempered, The fact that we are talking so much about him tells me he had a poor game. 

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Am I allowed to say excellent substitutions by Wassall to gain the point?

perfectly obvious and sound subs. Main benefit of them was to show Blackman is useless. Was nt close to doing right thing when should have scored. Weiman every day for a change of winger.

59 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Entertaining match. We looked good and on another day we might have bagged 4. Promising stuff against a good team and playoff rival. If we continue to play like that, we have nothing to fear.

Except another ref like this knob-head.

6 minutes ago, jono said:

I can't agree .. He was out of position several times, missed an obvious penalty and was inconsistent with his cards in the first half. The game was muscular but not dirty yet the number of cards make it seem bed tempered, The fact that we are talking so much about him tells me he had a poor game. 

This! Set himself the precedent when he booked Hughes in a moment all players were hotheaded, all it needed was a talking to and to calm everyone down. Add to this th inconsistency, not protecting Martin from defenders going through the back of him and the Christie penalty. He basically lost control of the game. For an experienced prem ref that is inexcusable

43 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Thought Hughes as a whole played the cdm position well. He made 2 brilliant tackles at the start of the game which would have easily resulted in them having a shot in dangerous areas. He kept the play ticking which was good to watch. Only downside was their goal where he should have been man tight but must give credit bannan's goal was amazing. Hanson's passing was awful when he came on .

spot on. Also ran at a player in front of dugouts who skipped past him and at our back four.

players have to be judged on how they perform. Sooner Jeff and Bradley are fit the better.

Good game. When it doesn't matter quite as much (we're simply jockeying for position in the playoffs with a few games to play) that might be the reason the ruthlessness wasn't quite there. Felt me should clearlty have had a pen when Christie was brought down and plenty of other Premier League refs would have given the holding on Ince in the first half and Russell in the second. But I always feel Lee Mason hates us.

Good decision to play Hughes at CDM because it's all about getting him fit, sharp and ready for playoffs. Yes Hanson's unlucky to miss out, but this prepares us better for our starting playoff midfield trio of Thorne, Bryson and Hughes. Fabulous challenge from Shackell in the first half when Carson spilled the deflected shot. Keogh generally fluid and skillful but took a risk shrugging Forestieri off like he did. Good performances from both fullbacks. Bryson runs for ever and if Russell can keep his game at this level he'll be a real threat. Ince was a whisker away with his freekick - I was disappointed he couldn't create more shooting oppotunities for himself.

It was great to see the reaction of the players when Bent scored. I was surprised we didn't go in for a bargain basement Forestieri at the start of the season when he's always tormented us, we seemed short of wingers/wide forwards and Watford were being forced to trim their squad. Cheaper than Blackman. But stranger things have happened than Blackman coming off the bench to score the winning goal in the playoff final.

For me, fourth place is important but unlikely. Though it's good to see the dirties winning at Hull.

Really good game against two very good sides. Thought we were slightly the better side overall, but we failed to capitalise the chances we created which were few due to a solid Wednesday defence.

Hughes looked good in an unnatural position and I thought he looked pretty match sharp considering how long he had been out for, but at times Wednesday did get through our midfield to easily and I thought we lacked any physical presence like Thorne in the centre to break up the opposition.  

Bent showed exactly what type of player he is which is someone to find those spaces behind the oppositions line and to score those goals in tight matches. Wasn't really impressed with Martin today, far too moody and weak. 

I'm happy with us today and it was an absolute cracking atmosphere, that spell when we continued that one chant for about 5 mins was brilliant. Only downside was how inconsistent that ref was.

COYR!

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Really enjoyed that game. Excellent. 

Should have scored more. Russell, Blackman both had chances they should have scored from. Hanson should have closed Bannan down for their goal, superb strike though. Forestieri looks a player, the booking was weird but he had a really blatant dive either early in the second half or late in the first that the ref missed. Near the halfway line. Needs to sort that out for the refs to leave him alone.

Russell, Christie excellent for me. No-one was poor (other than Blackman, but I don't have the need to complain that others do and I put it down to a lack of game time and not expecting the ball to come to him).

Hanson wasn't on the pitch for Bannan's goal

17 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Really good game against two very good sides. Thought we were slightly the better side overall, but we failed to capitalise the chances we created which were few due to a solid Wednesday defence.

Hughes looked good in an unnatural position and I thought he looked pretty match sharp considering how long he had been out for, but at times Wednesday did get through our midfield to easily and I thought we lacked any physical presence like Thorne in the centre to break up the opposition.  

Bent showed exactly what type of player he is which is someone to find those spaces behind the oppositions line and to score those goals in tight matches. Wasn't really impressed with Martin today, far too moody and weak. 

I'm happy with us today and it was an absolute cracking atmosphere, that spell when we continued that one chant for about 5 mins was brilliant. Only downside was how inconsistent that ref was.

COYR!

I thought the ref was consistent. Consistently bad.

Archived