Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

eddie

Saturday, 23 April

iPro Stadium, 12:30 pm kickoff (Thanks, Sky)

"Ish thish Wednesday?"

"No, ish Thursday".

"Sho am I. Let'sh have another drink."

Derby fans are in buoyant mood at the moment, and thish - I mean this - Saturday we entertain a team who, with a bit of luck, we might be playing again at Wembley in a few weeks time. No, not the FA Cup game marketed by Waddington's (or Ariel or someone like that) in the 1950's when I were a lad and you could buy a goalie for £2,000 and Coventry City were in Division 3 (no change there then), but the actual place where the playoffs are played, er, off.

Sheffield is - or at least was - home to one of the finest pieces of graffiti in recent years. In price of place for the Tour de France a couple of years ago, towards the top of the devilish climb that is Jenkin Road - sorry, 'Côte de Jenkin Road' - right there, in the middle of the tarmac (newly laid to give the impression that Sheffield had a bob or two when the race was shown on the telly) was drawn a large owl emblem, the badge of Sheffield Wednesday, along with the legend "Nous sommes Mercredi".

Sheffield Wednesday's home ground is situated in Owlerton, hence the nickname, "The Owls". It's a good job they didn't form the club just up the road in Penistone, if that's their way of thinking.

In recent years, The Rams have been somewhat of a bogey team to Wednesday - in fact, Derby are unbeaten in the last 15 league and cup encounters between the two clubs - a run that stretches back just a week shy of 10 years. Will the sequence be maintained, or will The Rams be coasting, taking the opportunity to rest a few players and blood a few others with one eye on the playoffs?

It's not too long ago that Wednesday were above Derby and in an excellent run of form, but a defeat and two draws have seen them slip back to sixth, albeit six points clear of Cardiff. Winning is a habit that Derby have stumbled upon over recent weeks, and three more victories would see a club record equalling 85 points being achieved for the second time in three seasons - a tally that seemed fanciful just one month ago.

The fans have a part to play, and I make no apology for posting a song by one of Sheffield's finest. I'm sure that everyone at Derby County will echo the sentiments within. What's more, it's probably the best thing I've ever seen on Youtube for a decade. Enjoy...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1-1

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Saturday, 23 April

iPro Stadium, 12:30 pm kickoff (Thanks, Sky)

"Ish thish Wednesday?"

"No, ish Thursday".

"Sho am I. Let'sh have another drink."

Derby fans are in buoyant mood at the moment, and thish - I mean this - Saturday we entertain a team who, with a bit of luck, we might be playing again at Wembley in a few weeks time. No, not the FA Cup game marketed by Waddington's (or Ariel or someone like that) in the 1950's when I were a lad and you could buy a goalie for £2,000 and Coventry City were in Division 3 (no change there then), but the actual place where the playoffs are played, er, off.

Sheffield is - or at least was - home to one of the finest pieces of graffiti in recent years. In price of place for the Tour de France a couple of years ago, towards the top of the devilish climb that is Jenkin Road - sorry, 'Côte de Jenkin Road' - right there, in the middle of the tarmac (newly laid to give the impression that Sheffield had a bob or two when the race was shown on the telly) was drawn a large owl emblem, the badge of Sheffield Wednesday, along with the legend "Nous sommes Mercredi".

Sheffield Wednesday's home ground is situated in Owlerton, hence the nickname, "The Owls". It's a good job they didn't form the club just up the road in Penistone, if that's their way of thinking.

In recent years, The Rams have been somewhat of a bogey team to Wednesday - in fact, Derby are unbeaten in the last 15 league and cup encounters between the two clubs - a run that stretches back just a week shy of 10 years. Will the sequence be maintained, or will The Rams be coasting, taking the opportunity to rest a few players and blood a few others with one eye on the playoffs?

It's not too long ago that Wednesday were above Derby and in an excellent run of form, but a defeat and two draws have seen them slip back to sixth, albeit six points clear of Cardiff. Winning is a habit that Derby have stumbled upon over recent weeks, and three more victories would see a club record equalling 85 points being achieved for the second time in three seasons - a tally that seemed fanciful just one month ago.

The fans have a part to play, and I make no apology for posting a song by one of Sheffield's finest. I'm sure that everyone at Derby County will echo the sentiments within. What's more, it's probably the best thing I've ever seen on Youtube for a decade. Enjoy...

1-1

Tough decision for DW and co as far as what team to play in regards to playoffs being sealed up already,rest players,etc.I personally would start same xi as against Bristol but would not surprise me if a youngster or 2 starts.

Hopefully continue our good form and confidence in this one.

Hey on Sky as well awesome.:D.

I'd definitely give Hughes a start now. If he can only manage 45 minutes, so be it, however we will know if he starts. 

Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Olsson, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Ince & Martin. 

It'll be interesting to see the bench, but I'd argue it's worth keeping momentum up.

Saying that, Wednesday will be properly up for this, far more so than us, so I imagine it will be a defeat regardless. 

This should be a cracking game of footy. We are on a roll, at home all cylinders firing. Wednesday want to confirm their playoff place and lay down a marker. ... So it will either be an advert for the beautiful game with exciting open football and the Rams getting a thumping win .....  or a godawfull goalless draw 

Same team for me. A winning XI. No reason at all to disrupt what we've got going right now by throwing Hughes in from nowhere. That would be a massive blow to the confidence/morale of the player dropped. It would send out the wrong message. I hated Clement for that, his propensity to alter things just because he could. Wassall is growing on me, for two reasons really - he's got the lads playing up-tempo, no fear football again. And he's picking a side on merit. He's blessed with so many good players in midfield especially and I believe it serves us, him and them best that they're worth a shirt based on performance. And how can anyone who saw last night want to tinker with that? I know we're in the playoffs now, but I'd rather keep our foot on the gas and add to the growing momentum rather than risk us stalling, just because.. 

Simple game, complicated by idiots.

Massive game for Wednesday. After their lunchtime kickoff against us, Cardiff will run out against Bolton. Then, the following Saturday, Wednesday and Cardiff meet. If we beat them on Saturday, they could be caught the following weekend. Let's hope they're feeling the pressure and we play with freedom.

Know very little about the Brizzle game (I was at a play about a team of British astronauts marooned on Pluto), but people appear to be saying we played well so I'd start the same team. Desperately hoping young Tom Ince bags a goal to bring home my pre-season bet!

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Massive game for Wednesday. After their lunchtime kickoff against us, Cardiff will run out against Bolton. Then, the following Saturday, Wednesday and Cardiff meet. If we beat them on Saturday, they could be caught the following weekend. Let's hope they're feeling the pressure and we play with freedom.

Know very little about the Brizzle game (I was at a play about a team of British astronauts marooned on Pluto), but people appear to be saying we played well so I'd start the same team. Desperately hoping young Tom Ince bags a goal to bring home my pre-season bet!

As guardian of the galaxy where else would you be?

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Pretty much what I was planning to say, Carl. Wednesday have got it all to do. I think that they will probably beat Cardiff but I thought that we would beat Cardiff and we did not. Boro may prove to be the Fall Guys. More likely that we will need to exorcise the demons of past defeats against Burnley or Boro than repeat the Play Off hammering of Brighton.These games are often decided by a sending off, strange penalty or an uncharacteristic mistake or miss.We have had a mixed season now we need a bit of good fortune. Most people are writing off Hull, that could prove costly.

After watching that video I think Joe Cocker has carried on taking whatever the hell he's on, however instead of performing on stage he has taken up the position of posting on a Derby County forum under the name of Inverurie Ram

I don't think we will win this tbh. We have secured a play off spot so our players will naturally take the foot of the gas a bit whereas this is Sheffield Wednesday's cup final. Having said that they got destroyed by Bristol a few weeks ago and we beat them mid week. It all depends which derby turn up. If we play like we have the last few weeks then we will win 2 or 3 nil but I can see us unintentionally slacking off here. My team for this game:

Carson

Christie Keogh Buxton(shacks deserves a rest) Olsson

Thorne

Bryson         Hughes(70 minute run out)

Russell  Martin  Ince

16 hours ago, eddie said:

This has not been shown the appreciation it deserves. Hillsborough does sit on Penistone Road, however. fnarrfnarr.

As for the match, same XI. They will want to be out on the pitch as much as they can at the moment. Dunna fix what isnae broke. As long as its a more interesting game than the 0-0 snoozefest in the reverse fixture. 

7 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

This has not been shown the appreciation it deserves. Hillsborough does sit on Penistone Road, however. fnarrfnarr.

As for the match, same XI. They will want to be out on the pitch as much as they can at the moment. Dunna fix what isnae broke. As long as its a more interesting game than the 0-0 snoozefest in the reverse fixture. 

I try.

On the subject of Owlerton/Penistone, if it hadn't have been true, I would have had to have made it up. It was almost Old One-Eye quality.

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Maybe a lot of Owls fans are from Penistone. I hear it got them in a spot of bother when designing a flag. 

I heard they cocked it up.

Archived