Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

eddie

Good game against a Weds side who looked more than up for it, and promising football from majority of players for a potential play off clash.

Plus Thorne, and with Weimann for Blackman, I think we would have taken all three points there, perhaps more comfortably as well.

Butterfield looks superb at the moment.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was amazed we didn't get a penalty with Christie. I think his lack of reaction could have been behind it, as that's about as stonewall as it comes. It was obvious with the defender lunging in.

Why wasn't it given? He clearly didn't dive, and he if he had stayed on his feet a simple cross would have prompted a tap-in from two players waiting. Such a bizarre call, especially against the home side.

Imagine if that was at Old Trafford... Woud have been as nailed on as you can get.

Sheffield Wednesday definitely deserve to be top six. They've been great this season, and they play better and more eye-catching football than both Boro and Burnley combined.

18 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sheffield Wednesday definitely deserve to be top six. They've been great this season, and they play better and more eye-catching football than both Boro and Burnley combined.

It's not that long ago you was saying you didn't think they would make the play offs and may only just make top 10!

I thought that there were some excellent performances from Derby today, and a couple of not-so-good, but you can't have everything.

Hughes was the big plus for me - there was nothing tentative about anything he did - full-blooded challenges, lovely subtlety in possession and I don't think he misplaced a single pass. Olsson was so assured, Russell was simply everywhere and Butterfield had a good game too. Bryson and Martin - well, they can't be great all the time and today neither were at their best.

For Wednesday, Bananaman looked what he is - absolute quality.

A really good game almost spoiled by that idiot Lee Mason who, I must assume, had bought a brand-new yellow card specially for the occasion and wanted to show it off to everyone.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

I thought that there were some excellent performances from Derby today, and a couple of not-so-good, but you can't have everything.

Hughes was the big plus for me - there was nothing tentative about anything he did - full-blooded challenges, lovely subtlety in possession and I don't think he misplaced a single pass. Olsson was so assured, Russell was simply everywhere and Butterfield had a good game too. Bryson and Martin - well, they can't be great all the time and today neither were at their best.

For Wednesday, Bananaman looked what he is - absolute quality.

A really good game almost spoiled by that idiot Lee Mason who, I must assume, had bought a brand-new yellow card specially for the occasion and wanted to show it off to everyone.

No stranger to contoversy.

In 2008 Mason was widely criticised for his decision to send off Middlesbrough's Jérémie Aliadière after an altercation between Aliadiere and Liverpool's Javier Mascherano, while the latter escaped any punishment.[9] Middlesbrough appealed the red card but Aliadiere's ban was not only upheld by the FA, but increased by an extra match (to a total of four matches) on the grounds that their appeal had been "frivolous". Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson called the FA "amateurs and silly little men".

In 2009 Mason refereed the FA Youth Cup final between Arsenal and Liverpool. Later that year he was handed a one-week demotion to the role of fourth official after his handling of a match between Fulham and Liverpool in which he sent off Liverpool players Jamie Carragher and Philipp Degen; Fulham ultimately won the fixture 3–1.

Mason and his assistants came in for criticism from Manchester United's management in December 2010 for allowing a last-minute equaliser scored by Birmingham City to stand. A Birmingham cross into United's penalty area appeared to hit Nikola Žigić's arm and Lee Bowyer slid the ball home despite appearing to be offside. Birmingham manager Alex McLeish defended the decision to allow the goal, saying that Mason would have been "harsh if he had penalized [Žigić] for deliberate handball."

Mason's decision in April 2012 to send-off Shaun Derry for a professional foul in the 14th minute of a match against Manchester United was appealed by Queens Park Rangers after reviewing video replays. The referee awarded United a penalty kick when Derry appeared to foul Ashley Young. QPR manager Mark Hughes criticised Young for going to ground "too readily" and Mason for being "very quick" in giving the penalty, despite Young being in an offside position when he received the ball. However, the Football Association upheld the red card.

He was widely praised in the press following his handling of a Football League Cup tie between Chelsea and Manchester United in October 2012. The two teams had met three days prior in an incident-filled Premier League fixture which United won 3–2 and Chelsea had two players sent off. After that game, Chelsea made a formal complaint to the FA against the referee, Mark Clattenburg, about his alleged use of "inappropriate language" towards two of their players. During the League Cup match, Mason correctly awarded three penalties and was required to interpret and handle a number of other incidents. Chelsea won 5–4 after a 90th-minute penalty for the Blues, who were previously 3–2 down, forced the Cup tie into extra-time.

In March 2015 Mason caused controversy during a Football League Championship match between Cardiff City and Bournemouth by disallowing a goal by Bournemouth's Callum Wilson after Cardiff's goalkeeper struck a drop-kick against his back as he stood just outside the area, with the ball looping back against the crossbar before Wilson converted it. Pundits said after the game that the goal, which would have given Bournemouth a 2–1 lead, was legitimate and should have stood, while Wilson should not have been booked. The game ended 1-1.

In 2016, in a Premiership game between Stoke and Southampton, Mason came under criticism for showing Sadio Mané a straight red card for a challenge on Erik Pieters in the final minutes of the match. Southampton's appeal against the decision was upheld and Mané's three match ban was successfully removed. He was also criticised for ignoring a penalty appeal when Dusan Tadic was fouled by Jack Butland in the Stoke goal area. The following match weekend, in response to this criticism, Mason was removed from refereeing duties and instead reassigned to fourth official work.

I enjoyed this game because the pressure was off and I could take the time to watch without my blood pressure rising. I thought we played well against a not too bad Wednesday. Hiughes was fantastic as was Olssen. Martin had an off day. Perhaps losing a couple of stone might help him. 

39 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

I enjoyed this game because the pressure was off and I could take the time to watch without my blood pressure rising. I thought we played well against a not too bad Wednesday. Hiughes was fantastic as was Olssen. Martin had an off day. Perhaps losing a couple of stone might help him. 

The ref did nothing for my blood pressure, if he`s  the standard of prem refs we will get next year if we win the play offs we won`t finish a game with a full side.

Nothing wrong with Martin`s performance today. Why does he need to lose two stone?

1 hour ago, jono said:

I can't agree .. He was out positio n several times, but missed an obvious penalty and was inconsistent with his cards in the first half. The game was muscular but not dirty yet the number of cards make it seem bed tempered, The fact that we are talking so much about him tells me he had a poor game. 

From a fellow referee's point of view his positioning was pretty much spot on from the way you are taught to do it.The penalty I only saw from the North Stand so as yet cannot comment apart from I quickly glanced at the linesman who gave a slight shake off the head.

The game ewas a typical championship game but challenges in the championship that are allowed are frowned on in the Prem see how many lower teams fans moan about Prem refs in the cup games and so forth.

I felt some of his decisions were  a little strange but you only get one view unlike on tv it was probadl not his best game but I have seen far worse.

Ref was awful. Nuff said.

We take one of our chances before they score, or score when we're queuing up at the end and I think we go on and win and it's a great performance. As it stands, a good one.

We were the better side, created the better chances, and got stung with a wonder strike.

They're a good side, and we can't expect to blow them away.

20 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The ref did nothing for my blood pressure, if he`s  the standard of prem refs we will get next year if we win the play offs we won`t finish a game with a full side.

Nothing wrong with Martin`s performance today. Why does he need to lose two stone?

Good game. Fair enough result. Could've had 3 before they scored though. I also think Martin was poor today. Find him very frustrating at times and he does look overweight/unfit. If we do get up our attack needs some serious reinforcement..

Enjoyed the game today, I thought we looked dangerous and should have won the game overall, really good to see Bent score as he may prove vital. If we do make it to the money league what will we think about the refs as mr Mason had the respect of no one and I suspect no one watching that game had any idea which decision was about to be given at any point.

Archived