Gary Rowett/Rams Manager Odds

robglosta

10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

The only thing I'd dispute in your comments on Rowett, I was told by someone who knows Rowett real close, he was not exactly enamoured by our recruitment policy and posted as much on another thread.

Sure he's a soft spot for Derby but it's idle speculation because I don't think he'd really want us at present.

That's interesting to read. My 'friend of a friend' certainly knows Rowett but I don't know how close they are these days. 

Maybe clutching at straws, but it seems that the two bits of info might not be mutually exclusive. Maybe when unofficially asked of his interest, Rowett said something like, 'I'd love to manage Derby. I loved playing for the club and I can drive to Moor Farm in ten minutes from home. My son is a season ticket holder and he'd be chuffed to bits. However, there's no way I'd do it unless I had complete control of all footballing matters, especially player recruitment, and a guarantee that the owner wouldn't keep sticking his nose into team affairs. From what I've heard about things at present that seems a bit unlikely, but if things change than give me a call.'

Maybe I'm completely wrong of course.

...suddenly had a thought, Zag zig, you're not Rowett jnr. by any chance, are you? 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

A head coach works in a structure set by the club. Generally that will involve coaching the players and picking the team. He may have a degree of input into hiring and firing of staff and player recruitment, but the degree of that involvement will be set by the club.

A manager sets his own structure. Some managers like to be involved in every training sessions, some just observe the odd one here and there. Some managers function as their own head scout and spend a huge amount of time concentrating on player recruitment, whilst some have trusted staff whom they happy to let do nearly all the scouting. Some managers like to spend a lot of time with the junior teams and see youth development as the key to success. Each manager performs the role slightly differently, but the crucial thing is that it is they who decide exactly what their role is. Successful managers will have built up a back-room staff to support them, e.g. a manager who does not like to take every training session will have a couple of trusted coaches who will train the players in the way the manager wants.

Surely our owner has set out that he wants a head coach rather than a manager who dictates to the club? That being the case the only issue I can see between the two scenarios is recruitment. IF the head coach has final say on recruitment do you have an issue with head coach?

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Surely our owner has set out that he wants a head coach rather than a manager who dictates to the club? That being the case the only issue I can see between the two scenarios is recruitment. IF the head coach has final say on recruitment do you have an issue with head coach?

Why? The owner knows a lot about casual video games. A successful manager knows a lot about footballing success. Whick one would you say is more likely to being footballing success to Derby County?

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

Why? The owner knows a lot about casual video games. A successful manager knows a lot about footballing success. Whick one would you say is more likely to being footballing success to Derby County?

It's not as straight forward as that. A club can lurch from manager to manager if he has total control. Each manager may differ in approach to style of play.

If I owned a club i would say I want to see my club play good attacking fast flowing football. That is the ethos of my club. I want therefore a successful head coach to implement that ethos throughout the club. If he had the final say on recruitment what, as a fan, would you have against my club?

If it is to be Rowett then so be it

basics - does he know the championship - Yes

does he know about our players - Yes

can he get a side to play as a team - Yes

does he appear to care, I think so - Yes

does he play players in their correct positions - Yes

is this why we haven't filled the position yet - possibly he appears loyal or brum don't want a change until the summer.

others maybe could fit in with the above but Rowett case is a strong one.

55 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Rowett is only on a 12month rolling contract - signed in January - the longer we wait, the cheaper it gets.

All assuming he actually wants to come here that is.

Surely the idea of a rolling contract is it always has the amount of time left on it?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's not as straight forward as that. A club can lurch from manager to manager if he has total control. Each manager may differ in approach to style of play.

If I owned a club i would say I want to see my club play good attacking fast flowing football. That is the ethos of my club. I want therefore a successful head coach to implement that ethos throughout the club. If he had the final say on recruitment what, as a fan, would you have against my club?

And you think randomly buying players which the head coach doesn't want, employing coaches who don't share his ethos, setting up a fitness regime that doesn't get the players to the fitness levels that the head coach requires and allowing him no input into the academy so the the players produced aren't useful to him isn't damaging?

The club must revolve around the manager. That is the only way to succeed - unless you are a mega rich club or part of an international group where players and coaches can be rotated around the other clubs in the group. There is no guarantee of success and managers always need time to sort things out, but to assert that the head coach role brings stability is just wrong. 

There is no reason why an owner can't employ a manager who plays attacking football. It's just that the owner then needs to say, 'what do you need to make that happen?, rather than, 'here's how you're going to do it.' 

20 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

"There is no reason why an owner can't employ a manager who plays attacking football. It's just that the owner then needs to say, 'what do you need to make that happen?, rather than, 'here's how you're going to do it."

Well that's my quote of the day sorted.........................have a like! :thumbsup:

Thinking of managers in the past 30 years who have come in and turned our club around and two names spring to mind Arthur Cox and Jim Smith , two very experienced managers , that is what i think is needed now, Martin O Neill would be my first choice , but also what about Mick Mcarthy , no nonsense , knows the league , promotes youth , always very straight with the fans and media , could be who we need

I think martin O'Neill will come as well.  Or if not id like Brendon rogers but don't think it'll be realistic at this present time unless we go up.  As some of you may know i do believe Mel has log ons to some of these sites so we should be realistic in putting who you want as it may influence on his thinking slightly.  Probably not but... he may look at fans choices.

Martin O'Neill would be my first choice too. Loads of experience, knows some of our squad already and no stranger to the East Midlands. Would be over the moon if we got him.

Not a bad shout on Mick McCarthy. Bringing him in would remind me of when Jim Smith arrived. Not many people's first choice, but got on with the job and was a perfect fit for us.

I really do think that an experienced manager is exactly what we need right now.

Martin O'Neill has always been my first choice if he'd come and fits the profile of someone who obviously wouldn't be available until after the summer tournament.

Mick McCarthy? I just couldn't. Even when his teams do well, they always have the lowest pass completion of anyone in the division. Or is there something Mick knows that I dont?

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

And you think randomly buying players which the head coach doesn't want, employing coaches who don't share his ethos, setting up a fitness regime that doesn't get the players to the fitness levels that the head coach requires and allowing him no input into the academy so the the players produced aren't useful to him isn't damaging?

The club must revolve around the manager. That is the only way to succeed - unless you are a mega rich club or part of an international group where players and coaches can be rotated around the other clubs in the group. There is no guarantee of success and managers always need time to sort things out, but to assert that the head coach role brings stability is just wrong. 

There is no reason why an owner can't employ a manager who plays attacking football. It's just that the owner then needs to say, 'what do you need to make that happen?, rather than, 'here's how you're going to do it.' 

Didn't PC get to chose his coaches, fitness coach, asked if he would like to sign the player, asked for specific players that were signed? Didn't Mel say to PC what do you need to make it happen? The war room, the analytical team, the posh seats in the dug out, to name just a few.

The next head coach that comes in will have the same opportunities as PC. The biggest problem PC had was the same as SM towards the end, getting the balance right between being solid at the back whilst maintaining a fast attacking force. Getting the best from our players that got us to 3rd in 13/14, that were going well at the top of the table in 14/15.

54 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

Martin O'Neill would be my first choice too. Loads of experience, knows some of our squad already and no stranger to the East Midlands. Would be over the moon if we got him.

I really do think that an experienced manager is exactly what we need right now.

I seem to recall Radio Derby's wonderful Graham "Twin Towers" Richards telling us that O'Neill does not spend much time on the training pitch.

So he'd need a Head Coach. Schteve!

Now that would be a managerial and coaching combo for which I would renew my season ticket in a flash, Uncle Mel please.

49 minutes ago, rynny said:

Didn't PC get to chose his coaches, fitness coach, asked if he would like to sign the player, asked for specific players that were signed? Didn't Mel say to PC what do you need to make it happen? The war room, the analytical team, the posh seats in the dug out, to name just a few.

The next head coach that comes in will have the same opportunities as PC. The biggest problem PC had was the same as SM towards the end, getting the balance right between being solid at the back whilst maintaining a fast attacking force. Getting the best from our players that got us to 3rd in 13/14, that were going well at the top of the table in 14/15.

Perhaps the answer is to have PC sorting out the defence and SMc the attack.

45 minutes ago, rynny said:

From what I recall, PC brought in an analyst and a fitness coach. I'm not sure that John Peacock, the goalkeeping coach with the long name or Kevin Philips were his choice - maybe they were, PC also had no input into the academy. I think it PC may have had a hand in some of the later signings, but Bent, Ince, Pearce, Baird and Carson were all lined up before he joined. We also know that he was being pressurised to play academy graduates and there were rumours that his team selections were being influenced from above - and those rumours had the same source as the dressing room rant, which turned out to be pretty accurate.

The manager should not have players foisted on him and should never be told whom to play. If the manager gets it wrong then sack him. Until then, let him manage the team.

No no no Gary are we kidding. We sacked someone (if we had gone up) the pull PC would have had would have been awesome. Who does Gary know - no one basically apart from bit part players same as DW. Well done Mel as he must of told the whole squad to stay in the championship. Let's not forget this shower drew with Bolton, Rotheram and lost to MK Dons recently who are in the bottom 3... Big club we say so make a big club move for the right person 

6 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

That's interesting to read. My 'friend of a friend' certainly knows Rowett but I don't know how close they are these days. 

Maybe clutching at straws, but it seems that the two bits of info might not be mutually exclusive. Maybe when unofficially asked of his interest, Rowett said something like, 'I'd love to manage Derby. I loved playing for the club and I can drive to Moor Farm in ten minutes from home. My son is a season ticket holder and he'd be chuffed to bits. However, there's no way I'd do it unless I had complete control of all footballing matters, especially player recruitment, and a guarantee that the owner wouldn't keep sticking his nose into team affairs. From what I've heard about things at present that seems a bit unlikely, but if things change than give me a call.'

Maybe I'm completely wrong of course.

...suddenly had a thought, Zag zig, you're not Rowett jnr. by any chance, are you? 

Nope and if I was I don't think I'd be on here admitting it :lol:

Just got to hear a few comments he made off record after the game against us earlier this year, that I know are 100% truthful. Maybe that scenario is wrong but how you word it, wouldn't contradict comments I heard, so plausible I guess.

One of the comments about us that day was he thought the difference between his team and ours was the word team, one played as one, the other didn't. There was a few other interesting comments but I'm not one for fame hunting and wouldn't want to drop anyone in it. Just on what was said it seemed he wasn't keen on our recruitment policy and therefore I doubt he'd jump from the blues, where he has a pretty good reputation building.

Like all things though, money talks and things sometimes move on, so who knows.

Archived