Shackell's reaction to Wassall

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

exactly... fans are so freaking precious... he didnt come and applaud....he stuck 2 fingers up at us... so what... I would be more worried about Shackles (and his centre half partner) performances over the last few games than wether or not he can clap his hands together.

I'm aware that this is going to sound very much like self entitled nonsense and as a bit of a dig at people who weren't there but it's absolutely not intended in that way.

Today I think you almost had to be there to understand the situation. The atmosphere at the end was absolutely toxic like nothing I have seen for a very long time. Worse than Birmingham last year, probably equal to when we lost 4-2 to QPR and those free t-shirts were thrown on the pitch. It was that bad. I don't usually care about the players clapping, Bryson usually doesn't at home games, he shows all that in his performances, that's fine. But today I felt that players coming over and facing the fans was appropriate. Not doing so felt like it was a bit cowardly and just the easy thing to do.

Shackell is arguably our most senior player. He was signed to stop this happening, to shore up the defence, to be that experienced head in defence to tell everyone what to do when that first goal goes in today. He didn't do any of that and I'd have him hugely responsible for what happened.

So for him then to not come over, and not only that but to openly disrespect the manager, what message does that send? If Hanson looks at that what will he think? What does Buxton think that this **** is fancying around in the team ahead of him?

It sends an awful message to the squad and just shows a huge lack of character and courage to accept responsibility for what happened. And to bring it back to your point, I think that might just explain his recent performances. He doesn't give a toss.

12 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It is the real world. 

That was a real football match, and he is paid in real money to be a Derby County player.  And football players can face disciplinary action.

I can understand why Wassall wants the players to applaud the fans, who have traveled away from home to support the team.  But i can also understand Shackell being angry and frustrated after such a dreadful capitulation.....he probably feels like the he or the rest of the team don't deserve the appreciation of the fans....rather than the fans don't deserve the appreciation of the players. 

I paid to support my team - as pissed off as I was, I clapped the few players that bothered to clap us - I was angry at that capitulation too. 

12 minutes ago, Anon said:

His reaction to Wassall is only part of this. Shackell treats any of his team mates who try to talk to him with exactly the same disdain. Do you think the rest of them weren't annoyed or frustrated? As I've said earlier in this thread passion isn't the same as petulance.

This is the first instance in the whole season. On the pitch you don't see him arguing with or having a go at his team mates. You don't see him turning to fans and ushering them to calm down. Everyone get's a free pass. The game is passionate and heated. But some people expect them to behave like boy scouts always. If this happens the next game or again this season I will be disappointed in him. But I certainly won't jump on a persons back for making one isolated mistake or stepping out of line once. 

It is now make or break time for Wassall though. He can't lose against Forest. Beat them with a good passionate display and it sets him up for the rest of the season. Challenges rise and fall. They come when you least expect them. He was just handed several. Let's see if he is manager material. 

One small flashpoint and we are bringing Shackell's professionalism and ability to be a team player into question?

Look at our very own Mel and his dressing room rant, which undermined Clement just as much as Shackell undermined Wassall today.

Some reactions are combustible, in the heat of battle and in the heat of the moment and as a result of working in a high-pressure, highly competitive and highly emotive environment with big personalities and big egos.

If it can happen to the chairman, should we be surprised at one of our own players showing visible frustration after such a capitulation?

It doesn't matter if such things happen behind closed doors or not because they have a habit of trickling out and becoming public knowledge anyway.

The bottom line is that football is a passionate game. Just like on this very forum - we can't all agree and see eye-to-eye all of the time. We have different characters with differences of opinion and different principles and sometimes even though we want the same, things boil over.

Personally, I would rather see signs of anger and frustration from Shackell than him looking aloof and disinterested. At least it shows to an extent that he is hurt and that he cares. To me that shows he is taking responsibility and he will be driven to make amends. Not all wrapped up in insincerely trying to placate the fans.

If Shackell is such a divisive and troublesome figure and this goes as far back as his first spell with us as all of the speculation suggests, why did the club even consider re-signing him?

If he really is putting poison in Chrissy Martin's spag bol, time will tell. But for me, all the sniping and conjecture seems mostly baseless and unfair.

Given our end-of-season capitulation under McClaren, fading team spirit and the lack of guts, backbone and togetherness were all issues long before Shackell returned.

watching that video there are a number of players who don't clap  they stand on the pitch for a while, look annoyed, shake hands with the oppo and that's it. Are they poison too?

Am I the only one who doesn't care if players clap me at the end or not? I mean have we become that precious as fans that we need applause? "I know we gave away a 3 goal lead in the final 8 minutes but they all came over and clapped so I feel pretty important and I'm pretty happy right now." Don't tell me it's about respect, the players are subject to to abuse from some "fans" all game.

Talk about an overreaction. He doesn't clap at the end and he should be bounced right out the club? I can stand there and boo and shout and swear at the players call them useless shout "get him off" etc but if they don't come and clap me then I'll be deeply offended. 

Personally I spend my hard earned money to watch an entertaining football match and would like 3 points at the end. As long as the players play as well as they can that day I couldn't care less about them applauding me. 

Much ado about nothing. 

Sith Happens

I know emotions must have been running high, but its a shocking reaction from shackell. I also find it hard to believe wassall couldnt remember it happening when asked after the game.

If i told my boss to **** off or whatever i would be disciplined, he has to be, has to miss at least a couple of games to show that you cant go round doing that.

Stop all the waffle Darren and show that you are actually in control here.

56 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know emotions must have been running high, but its a shocking reaction from shackell. I also find it hard to believe wassall couldnt remember it happening when asked after the game.

If i told my boss to **** off or whatever i would be disciplined, he has to be, has to miss at least a couple of games to show that you cant go round doing that.

Stop all the waffle Darren and show that you are actually in control here.

Selective memory I'd be humiliated having to explain to a local radio station that one of my employees told me to do one in front of a crowd in a football stadium, gross insubordination potential gross misconduct in the normal employment world. Although reasonable mitigation by Shackell would be Wassall is an appalling manager.

Poor reaction from shackell but obviously players see DW as much of a joke as we do. Obviously bad blood between the two but I know which one is important to the team and ones clueless.

got a feeling shackell may be declared I'll for the next game

#wassalout

22 minutes ago, harryram said:

Poor reaction from shackell but obviously players see DW as much of a joke as we do. Obviously bad blood between the two but I know which one is important to the team and ones clueless.

got a feeling shackell may be declared I'll for the next game

#wassalout

no excuse for showing poor professionalism.

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

Surely he was also snubbing shaking hands with the opposing team and match officials? 

Now that is wrong. 

Lol. 

Archived