Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nigel Clough showing exactly why he is a survival manager (and a good one at that) at Burton.

Shame, I was looking forward to playing Burton next season.

in what way? Away from home, managing 11 shots, 3 on target and 51% possession. Hardly survival football type stats.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, davenportram said:

in what way? Away from home, managing 11 shots, 3 on target and 51% possession. Hardly survival football type stats.

Just their record over the last 12 games or so. After his initial period of just taking over a winning team, Burton have gradually become worse and seemingly not as free-flowing as before.

Scoring more than one goal in only two of their last 12 matches, and scoring one in their last four is hardly the sign of an attacking team looking to earn promotion.

If anything, it seems Clough saw they were in a formidable position and just looked to consolidate their place at the top with grinding wins. I could be wrong in that assessment,

But I do wonder why they no longer score goals on a consistent basis. Wigan have scored more away goals in their last three matches than Burton has in their last 11 under Clough.

Would be a shame to see them miss out.

17 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just their record over the last 12 games or so. After his initial period of just taking over a winning team, Burton have gradually become worse and seemingly not as free-flowing as before.

Scoring more than one goal in only two of their last 12 matches, and scoring one in their last four is hardly the sign of an attacking team looking to earn promotion.

If anything, it seems Clough saw they were in a formidable position and just looked to consolidate their place at the top with grinding wins. I could be wrong in that assessment,

But I do wonder why they no longer score goals on a consistent basis. Wigan have scored more away goals in their last three matches than Burton has in their last 11 under Clough.

it didn't help him losing players for what some of their fans say are financial reasons. Highest scorer was sold I believe, and more out on loan, not first choice but players that provide the depth needed to cover some of the injuries they've had. Couldn't fill the bench today apparently.

if they do get promoted there is no way they'll have the funds to buy enough to stay up.

On 2/27/2016 at 14:39, Holdontightuk said:

I shan't be quitting due to any juvenile moronic posters....I might however if I finally lose interest in the club after over 40 years of being a fan. MM needs to get his **** sorted and quickly. 

I have to be honest, I haven't been a fan as long as you have. Only the last 15/16 years or so. However, I don't think Mel Morris is the worst thing to happen to this club in the over 40 years of being a fan you've had. Even I remember what we were the Premier League season and the one after. It was awful, don't kid yourself. 

For the record I don't think a return to Nigel Clough is the answer. I liked him, but he was too cautious in his style and tactics and better positivity suited us when he left. Burton have re-hired him and I don't think he's taken them forward any, in fact they've slipped from the top of League 1 since his arrival. Although taking over an over-achieving squad at the top of the league and maintaining them there is no mean feat, if he's the motivator and builder of team spirit some seem to believe it should have been a relatively simple matter of maintaining momentum to the end of the season there. 

EDIT: I'm a tad tipsy, and I've just noticed this was all posted almost two months ago. Oh well, may as well leave this here anyway.

2 hours ago, davenportram said:

it didn't help him losing players for what some of their fans say are financial reasons. Highest scorer was sold I believe, and more out on loan, not first choice but players that provide the depth needed to cover some of the injuries they've had. Couldn't fill the bench today apparently.

if they do get promoted there is no way they'll have the funds to buy enough to stay up.

For the record if they do go up I think they have one of the better managers in charge to keep them in the Championship. If Doncaster and Rotherham can survive, perhaps Burton can find a way.

Plus you'd back Clough to find a few decent players from Scotland or the lower leagues. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

For the record if they do go up I think they have one of the better managers in charge to keep them in the Championship. If Doncaster and Rotherham can survive, perhaps Burton can find a way.

Plus you'd back Clough to find a few decent players from Scotland or the lower leagues. 

This is just wishful thinking. Watching their 2 matches televised recently they looked a poor side and no sign of the form that took them to the top of he league.They will struggle if they get promotion unless they have the resources to strengthen,which I doubt. They only have one recognised forward.

In interview after the match yesterday Clough was asked how the players felt about the defeat, and his his familiar mardy strop voice Clough said 'he was not interested in how they felt'. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think they would give it a go, but ultimately go down after one season (like the similarly sized Yeovil did) along with Aston Villa.

12 minutes ago, DRBee said:

This is just wishful thinking. Watching their 2 matches televised recently they looked a poor side and no sign of the form that took them to the top of he league.They will struggle if they get promotion unless they have the resources to strengthen,which I doubt. They only have one recognised forward.

In interview after the match yesterday Clough was asked how the players felt about the defeat, and his his familiar mardy strop voice Clough said 'he was not interested in how they felt'. 

I didn't here him say that, was a little grumpy though.

haven't their televised games been against promotion challengers? They only have one recognised forward, possibly because they sold their top scorer in January. There have been several players leave due to financial reasons perhaps this has hit their form.

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Maybe because the club sold their best attacking player to QPR.  

7 hours ago, davenportram said:
1 hour ago, sage said:

Having seen them on Sky recently, they just don't look good enough, particularly upfront.

You have to wonder whether promotion would be a good thing or not. They've coughed and spluttered throughout the season at times. Even under JFH, they had some strange results. What will be will be but if they go up, NC will have his work cut out to keep them in the Championship, unless he can find a few more cut-price gems.

3 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Having seen them on Sky recently, they just don't look good enough, particularly upfront.

You have to wonder whether promotion would be a good thing or not. They've coughed and spluttered throughout the season at times. Even under JFH, they had some strange results. What will be will be but if they go up, NC will have his work cut out to keep them in the Championship, unless he can find a few more cut-price gems.

They certainly wouldn't survive in the championship. They couldn't hope to compete on crowds of 4000 every week

18 minutes ago, sage said:

They certainly wouldn't survive in the championship. They couldn't hope to compete on crowds of 4000 every week

Don't think you can necessarily relate survival chances if they get promoted  to crowd size - after all, Bournemouth average around 12k and they've not done too badly in amongst the 'big boys'.

A workmanlike side playing for each other and a management team who can organise will always have a reasonable chance of surviving when they get promoted.

As far as NC is concerned he looks to have taken his usual motley crew with him and ultimately in my opinion, they're not up to the job.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Don't think you can necessarily relate survival chances if they get promoted  to crowd size - after all, Bournemouth average around 12k and they've not done too badly in amongst the 'big boys'.

A workmanlike side playing for each other and a management team who can organise will always have a reasonable chance of surviving when they get promoted.

As far as NC is concerned he looks to have taken his usual motley crew with him and ultimately in my opinion, they're not up to the job.

Bournemouth have been financially backed  by a Russian owner. It's no co-incidence that they have never had success previously. 

I can't see the Burton chairman, as excellent as he has been. suddenly throwing tens of millions at the club.

I would also point out that the population of the South East Dorset conurbation ie Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch is 465,000.

The population of Burton on Trent is 72,000. 

10 hours ago, DRBee said:

I heard that interview, it bought back some bad memories.

15 hours ago, sage said:

Whilst El-Khayati scored some important goals and tore Christie a new one in pre-season, from the league matches that I've seen and the Burton fans that I know, he always tries to do far too much with ball and he's also quite lazy. £300,000 is a hell of a lot of money for Burton Albion for a player that is greedy and lazy, and up until recently, they don't seemed to have missed him.

Archived